AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally near the end of my long journey in collecting the parts for my ‘71 Izzy bastard sidefolder. Will be going into the shop soon for building. I would like to have at least 1 period correct magazine for it. Were the Russians using Bakelite mags exclusively in the early ‘70s and which variant would have been in production in ‘71? My research leads me to believe it would’ve been the flat back with steel feed lips but I would appreciate y’all’s advice. I have no Bakelites in my collection so this is new territory for me. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A4G

Gitusum
What I was looking for was which version of the AG4 (Bakelite) as they went through several design changes from the mid-60s through ‘70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure when each variant of AG4C mag was launched. If obsessed with it being "correct", the safest thing to do would be to pick an early variant. One of the Izzy longtop variants, for example, was almost certainly a mid-ish 60s thing, so they definitely would have been 'around' when your 71 AK comes along. If you go with a later design (short top flat back steel reinforced, for example), you risk the mag being produced after your gun, because we know for a fact that the last few generations of 762 bake were being designed right around the same time as the 545 prototype bakes and the first serial production bakes, which happen to be "ported" from 762 bake design with respect to their form factor (the only thing changed was the geometry required to accommodate the new round).

So TLDR, pick up an Izzy long top, any of them, and it'd be period correct for a 71 AK. That said, the Soviets continued to field older mags (steel etc). Maybe not with their front line grunt units, but somewhere in their massive mil there were dudes packing slabs/aluminum/stamped steel mags. So any of the older 762 mags would technically be correct also.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just to add to the comments above. The only specific dates I have ever seen from legit Russian sources are that the very first mags (with AG4C rear lug) were made in 1962...and the very last generation (short top, flat back, steel reinforced, with smooth transition at the base of the front hump) were produced in 1974. The other 15-ish generations of these mags lie somewhere in the middle, but I've never seen definitive proof as to what years they started, just a general chronology of which order that they were produced. The only other hint we have is that when AK74 bakes were being prototyped, they did not have the smooth transition at the base of the front hump, but all that tells us is that they were inspired by 'pre-1974' 7.62x39mm mags, not much more than that.

If anyone out there does know ANY additional info regarding specific years that specific variants were produced I'd love to hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts