AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't there a thread a while back about this recently?

I was cruising IMA for a cheap repro Thompson 30 round mag pouch (which I found) and ran into these somehow. I don't know a lot about Bagpipes but I do know they can be expensive. And $150 for complete set seemed a steal
However my Boss plays in a Pipe and Drum band and he should know something about this. I know he has to custom order his and they are extremely pricey. Of course they may be much better Pipes too. They also have some they claim may not be complete for $50

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/2050

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I had a friends father try and pick up playing the pipes..Man did he say it was hard. You need some good lungs. Needless to say he gave it up...Ya he was a quiter all right..

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
Bagpipes to me sound like a cat caught in the fan belt. Everytime I hear one, the hair of my neck stand up.

Only in a country that thinks boiling internal organs in a sheeps' stomach is good eats, can come up with what amounts to acoustical torture and call it a musical instrument

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Ahh yes! The only musical instrument ever outlawed as a weapon of war! :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was on active duty at MCAS El Toro (80-88) . At some point,there was an Officer in the Squadron located next to us who played the bagpipes every morning during FOD walk. Turns out his wife would not let him play/practice with them at home! :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Caligula said:
Bagpipes to me sound like a cat caught in the fan belt. Everytime I hear one, the hair of my neck stand up.

Only in a country that thinks boiling internal organs in a sheeps' stomach is good eats, can come up with what amounts to acoustical torture and call it a musical instrument
dude don't knock it till you have tried it. hagus is a great dish to eat, it is really easy to make, and it is easy on the wallet when you have to wait for your next paycheck.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Much like a violin, the pipes might need years of practice to just get them to sound right. Sucks for friends and family.

Beginning pipers are best heard in a band setting. i.e. buried in a group of experienced players.

Played well in a proper setting they can make you want to get on your horse, charge into an impossible tactical scenario and die!

or maybe that's just a Scottish thing.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Music tah ma ears aye..........Slainte!!!! :hail: :allright:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Caligula said:

Many cultures besides the Scots have bagpipes. Italians even.

joedog

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
yadaddy said:
Much like a violin, the pipes might need years of practice to just get them to sound right. Sucks for friends and family.

Beginning pipers are best heard in a band setting. i.e. buried in a group of experienced players.

Played well in a proper setting they can make you want to get on your horse, charge into an impossible tactical scenario and die!

or maybe that's just a Scottish thing.
+1 to that

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a good deal of searching, we have come to the conclusion that these are probably cheap Pakistani made pipes. Probably selling for no more than this on eBay. So not probably a good deal at all. Mixed reviews and unknown maker make them suspect. Probably made by a Pakistani company known as Paramount.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do NOT buy paki pipes! Save your money and get a real set!

You do not start off on the pipes anyway. First you need a practice chanter. These are in the $50-$100 range. Find a local band who can recommend a good instructer. It isn't like playing a guitar, you are going to learn a lot of bad habits if you try to teach yourself. Most teachers charge around $20 for a lesson every week or two. Do not be discouraged, it really does not take long to be a competent player.

For a beginner, I suggest synthetic Dunbar P1. They have a great sound, but not all the maintenance problems of your traditional blackwood pipes and the cost is quite a bit lower.

It is worth the effort. There is no other instrument in the world like them. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bag pipes sound great IMHO!
I listen to Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly all the time. If I was going to buy a set of pipes though, I would do some research and get the best I could afford. Just my 2 cents :wink: :dance: :dance: Take care, glocklon

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
joedog said:
Many cultures besides the Scots have bagpipes. Italians even.
Oy! If it's nay Scottish, it's KRAP!!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
glocklon said:
Bag pipes sound great IMHO!
I listen to Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly all the time. If I was going to buy a set of pipes though, I would do some research and get the best I could afford. Just my 2 cents :wink: :dance: :dance: Take care, glocklon
Oy, yes!!!

Click here----->CELTIC RADIO

·
Registered
998 Posts
i had that exact set,all i ever learned to play was amazing grace.youll be puffin and squeezin your ass off,as those pipes are kinda leaky.i played my teachers pipes once and the difference was amazing.he never let me play em again cause i made them smell like beer. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
At my academy graduation we had a piper there and his name was "Rick James" :lol: no bullshit. A white Scottish guy named Rick James = priceless!!! Yeah, we were all doing our best Dave Chappel "I'm Rick James BITCH!!!"

Anyway, I don't have a drop of Scottish blood coarsing through my veins, but when I hear "the pipes" it makes my hair stand on end, I want to fix bayonets, and march off to war... It stirs something inside of me in a way I cannot describe.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I got my first taste of bagpipes playing summer 7's (rugby) at the Highland Games at the Polo fields nearby. They had rugby, caper toss, hammer throw... free whiskey, you name it. And all the while several piper bands that would play and march from one end of the grounds to the other. Now, I like the sound of the pipes... but after, I don't know... 8 hours of it, I kind of felt like 'would somebody please stop beating that goddam cat!'. Maybe it was the whiskey talking. They also had some tin whistle and drum music there, I was digging that too.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
j-rod said:
I don't have a drop of Scottish blood coarsing through my veins, but when I hear "the pipes" it makes my hair stand on end, I want to fix bayonets, and march off to war... It stirs something inside of me in a way I cannot describe.
Based on your reaction to the pipes, I'm gonna bet that you've got a few drops of Scottish blood that you're not aware of.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The veterinarian I took my little sick cat to had his bayonet collection on his waiting room wall and told me about hearing the pipes in Korea. There was a Highlander outfit on the next hill, they played the pipes at night, he said it was the spookiest thing he'd ever heard and he was glad they were comrades.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts