AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
We are about due for a bad winter, huh? I liked the one a couple years ago when we hardly got any snow at all.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
The leaves are starting to change in my region already, and when this happened 3 years ago, we had a bad winter with lots of snowfall, and very low temperatures.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
The last two winters were supposed to be bad too and they were relatively mild.. at least in my area. Hell they didn't even get the cicada thing right.

I'm pretty burned out with the "ZOMG BAD ________ COMING" and it not happening... 'course that's when we'll actually get socked with some terribad weather but still...

of course... all you have to do is say the "S" word here in the winter and there will be cars crashing..landing upside down and on fire.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I live in Montana so there's no differance between a good or bad winter, it all sucks, LOL ...

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Apache said:
I live in Montana so there's no differance between a good or bad winter, it all sucks, LOL ...
Mountains or the plains?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
10Gauge said:
The last two winters were supposed to be bad too and they were relatively mild.. at least in my area. Hell they didn't even get the cicada thing right.

I'm pretty burned out with the "ZOMG BAD ________ COMING" and it not happening... 'course that's when we'll actually get socked with some terribad weather but still...

of course... all you have to do is say the "S" word here in the winter and there will be cars crashing..landing upside down and on fire.
Same thing here in western Indiana, the grocery stores are like the mall the day after Thanksgiving, and then a 1/4 inch falls.

·
Registered
868 Posts
An old folk lore that seems to have some truth to it says that if the squirrles build their nests high in the trees it will be a bad winter.
I haven't been in the woods once this year (too darn busy), so I can't relay any observations on that.
When mowing the lawn today I came across one dead cicada. I haven't heard one single cicada yet this year which is highly unusual. Usually you start hearing them a couple weeks before school starts, like a forecast of impending doom for the school kids. But this year, nothing.

I keep saying that I can't take one more winter up here.
If it is a bad one it just might get me off my ass to move south.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
10Gauge said:
all you have to do is say the "S" word here in the winter and there will be cars crashing..landing upside down and on fire.
I'm from Indiana and it sounds like you are describing Texas to me. My current state of residence, these people can't drive in the rain, let alone snow.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
JoeMomma said:
Apache said:
Mountains or the plains?
I'm in a valley 30 miles from the mountains, they call this area the Rocky Mountain Front. It's not all that bad unless the wind blows the snow from the ranchers field across the street from me, then I'm trapped, LOL ...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I wouldnt mind snowmageddon if it wasnt for piss poor drivers here in NE. Folks hit the stores like 9/11 every time snow comes in as if its their last chance too. cicadas here are in full swing, squirrel nests are avg height, but its just beginning the heat cycle fir July in the last week of August...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'l blame some of the bad winter driving on front wheel drive verhicles. Myself I don't think I will ever get the hang of if. In a skid I do the opposite of what should be done.
I am able to drive a rear wheel drive van at zero dark thirty in blizzard conditions along south ridge (route 84) to work like I was sailing a shingle. Literally. But can't drive down Main Street without cursing with front wheel drive.
Going down icy hills with r.w.d is easy because you put it in low, barely hold pressure on the brakes and the vehicle stays as straight as an arrow down the hill. The traction in the back is enough to cause the rear to lag behind the front without slipping into a skid.

Usually.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Looking forward to ski season, I hope it snows constantly. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
We got over 300 inches of snow in my neck of the woods (Houghton, MI) last winter, which is unusual but not at all unheard of for this area (3rd snowiest city in the US). I can't imagine this winter could be much worse-maybe colder or longer. They are already getting flurries in Alaska where my brother is at though-man I miss Alaska! :grin:

·
Registered
710 Posts
My little Toyota does great in the snow. The manual transmission definitely helps though. I drove my moms old Taurus a few times in snow, it's like driving a dump truck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts