AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a SAM7SF a little while ago and was thrilled with the thing. The action and trigger was smooth as butter, stock had a good tight lock up in the open and closed position, and the safety was easy to manipulate. Everything about this gun screams quality.
So I take it to the range the other day to punch some holes and holy hell.. The stock was doing a number on my cheek. Didn't really matter how I rolled my cheek on the stock, it bit me every time. I still managed to pull a 1 1/4'' group @ 100yds with some SST ;). But I left the range with a pretty sore face. Normally I would tell myself to man up, I have some other rifles that bite a LITTLE bit, but the SAM gives good smack every time the rifle booms. Thinking about putting an optic (possibly the ACOG calibrated for 7.62x39) or a good red dot which MAY get rid of the issue.

SO... Anyone have any suggestions besides the 550 cord trick? I may be doing something wrong, but the only way I could get a good sight alignment and picture was to hug that stock pretty tight.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
The SF is an awesome rifle...but sadly the stock is one of the most uncomfortable AK stock made (IMHO). It's right down there with the crutch and AMD side folders on comfort level, and an underfolder feels like an upgrade. I'd say try some thin foam under a 550 cord wrap and see how that does for you. Bench shooting with that stock was always miserable. From the standing...if you square off your shoulders with the target (body armor shooting position) it's a little better, but the small butt plate is another obstacle you have to overcome. Possibly look into a grenade launching butt pad to get a little cushion and it may reduce the recoil you're feeling on the cheek.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I did notice in the standing it wasn't bad at all. Only when I prone out or bench the gun is when I don't really feel like dealing with it. Like I said, comfort level wont be on my top priority list when looking for guns, but its probably the worst bite I have felt. Thanks for the tip, man.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
A buffer. Black Jack?

They're sort of gimmicky. No snake oil is going to reduce the force from the mass of the recoil/bolt carrier pushing rearward and then forwards. In a properly functioning AK the carrier will not strike the rear of the receiver anyhow. Just my opinion....take it for what it's worth. The issue is the stock ergonomics, and no buffer will change that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll go with the 550/foam idea. Sounds like the best option. I wanted to avoid doing that to make it easier to charge the gun while the stock is folded, but the only time I fold the stock is for storage. It would be foolish to patrol with the rifle on your body while the stock is folded. Not trying to toot my own horn, but my shooting positions are correct. What it comes down to, is that the rifle wasn't designed to have a specific comfort level. Which is the reason why I prefer the AK. Its not going to be pleasant while you shoot it in the prone, but it will do what you ask it to. Thanks, everyone for your help! I love this website so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts