AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presume this is the correct area for such a question. I just got a new Bulgy Arsenal Milled Receiver SAM-7 and though I haven't taken it to my range yet (it's closed during deer season), I always itch for redundancies in parts as well as ammo and mags. Though the likelihood of failure is ridiculously remote, I'd like to have a spare bolt, carrier and piston, to go with some of the more obvious failure parts. Because the Bulgy closely follows the Russian pattern and tolerances, am I limited to Russky or Bulgy parts, or can I reasonably assume AKM assemblies like East German, Hungarian or Polish will suffice ? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
One thing I can say, is you wouldn't be able to just swap bolts. The carrier and piston would be fine, but bolts are individually headspaced to each trunnion and swapping bolts would require resetting headspace.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm in aggreement with Visceral Malice for the most part. Carriers and pistons can be made to work in almost any AK. The only gotchas are the AK74 carriers and some Saiga carriers that use the smaller size bolt stem.

As for bolts, you do need to indeed check headspace to make sure you can interchange. I have both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 headspace guages and used to take them and the rifle(s) with me when I was looking for bolts. I now have enough different rifles that I usually have something a bolt will fit in and if I don't, then I put it up for sale. I even have bolts that won't close in any rifle I own so that if I have a rifle that wears, I have a potential replacement, or in a pinch, I can mill the bolt down to fit and reharden the bearing surfaces.

Martin

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Bolts & carriers are very common. Having back-ups is really overkill IMHO. I do not stock extra bolts or cocking handles etc., for rifles I own. An extractor, spring, pin and firing pin are not a bad idea.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice and comments. I light of the 2 previous caveats, AKBlue's conclusion(s) makes sense. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Bolts & carriers are very common. Having back-ups is really overkill IMHO. I do not stock extra bolts or cocking handles etc., for rifles I own. An extractor, spring, pin and firing pin are not a bad idea.
+1 I have never heard of an AK bolt or carrier failure, I have changed two extractor springs over the years in kit rifles made from well used kits and that's all. I also fire a few of my AKs very heavily and have only seen wear on the bolt turning rivet of my SGL-20 after around 8000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have had one well used Romanian and one well used Egyptian bolt fail head space. Both original kits came out of the Balkans and were pretty beat up already. The Romanian failed headspace after about 1500rds and the Egyptian around 3K. In both cases I noticed some distinct peening on the bolts when cleaning after a day of heavy firing (these were guns that if people wanted to try bump firing I'd let them use) which in both cases lead me to check headspace.

I have also had to replace the bolt on a Type II PMDS that a friend of mine used to own and was used for an ammo burner at machine gun shoots. I do not know how many rounds the rifle had through it, but I do know I have seen the time when we ran mag after mag through it until the hand-guards started smoldering.

Most guys who have semi-AK's will never see a bolt failure. Still, I'd rather have a spare part and not need it than not have one and then not be able to find one at a future date.

JMTCW

MDI13

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mdi13 obviously has more experience and knowledge than I, but I guess we both come from the same philosophical school. Having said that, I am guessing from previous comments that if one has a spare firing pin and extractor, 90% of failures ( remote as they may be ) can be remedied. Old Dawgs can learn new tricks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
+1 I have never heard of an AK bolt or carrier failure, I have changed two extractor springs over the years in kit rifles made from well used kits and that's all. I also fire a few of my AKs very heavily and have only seen wear on the bolt turning rivet of my SGL-20 after around 8000 rounds through it.
I have a saiga and this is the thing that worries me. Any pics? Or a description of how bad the wear was?

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
The bolt turning rivet operates like the ramp on the bullet guide in earlier rifles. It is helpful but not really necessary to cam the bolt.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Better safe than sorry I always say! I was a boyscout for about 8 years.
A boyscout is...., trustworthy., loyal etc., and thrifty.,brave., clean and reverent. I get it. A thrifty person does not buy parts that are not likely to be needed. smart scout.:)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I have a saiga and this is the thing that worries me. Any pics? Or a description of how bad the wear was?
I would not worry, it can only wear or peen down to a point that the camming area in the carrier will let it and go no further. The bolt turning rivet is a Saiga feature that was carried over into military production and would not be on Russian army rifles if it was any kind of problem. The wear on mine had reached the point it is now a few thousand rounds prior to now and has not progressed further. I just cannot get my ducks in a lineup to post pics through a picture host or whatever that has to be done, but I can Email pictures if you want to do that.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A boyscout is...., trustworthy., loyal etc., and thrifty.,brave., clean and reverent. I get it. A thrifty person does not buy parts that are not likely to be needed. smart scout.:)
I have stated above about not likely needing these parts, I do indeed have several spares but that is also a devil of its own aside from not being thrifty, it will cause you to get the other parts to go with it and then you have another build in the works. I am now in AK builders rehab and my extras now are just extras, it does not hurt to have a spare everything if you can resist that temptation to put another one together..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Being prepared was the motto. And by that I'm meaning, better safe than sorry. They consider that thrifty to save money when you can, if you can find one for a good deal then it would seem thrifty.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
I have stated above about not likely needing these parts, I do indeed have several spares but that is also a devil of its own aside from not being thrifty, it will cause you to get the other parts to go with it and then you have another build in the works. I am now in AK builders rehab and my extras now are just extras, it does not hurt to have a spare everything if you can resist that temptation to put another one together..
:) so true.., dammit.,:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts