AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have bought AR lowers from several manufacturers and the quality of machining on the LRB lowers sucks!! I contacted the company and here is our exchange to date....

MY EMAIL TO THEM

"I purchased one of your AR lowers from B&@@@@e Guns sight unseen based largely on your excellant reputation for high quality M14 lowers and I must say it is somewhat disappointing.

It seems a complete finishing step has been skipped in the machining process, namely cleaning the flash and forging seam in the trigger guard area. It appears untouched and absoulutly horrible from a asthetics point of view. While it does not affect function it sure looks like hell and reflects poorly upon your companies reputation for precision and quality.

I don't know if you have any process for fixing this issue and maybe you think it is acceptable quality...I assure you from a consumers point of view it is not.

I have attached a few pictures of the area showing the worst flashing, the front of the trigger guard area is also unfinished and unsightly although I have not included a picture of that area but one can be provided.

Receiver is Ser. # 02#####

C13492 is marked in the pistol grip web area.

Is there a way to return this and exchange for properly finished lower or have this one cleaned up and re-anodized or are all your lowers plauged with this problem?

Regards.

Their response to email:

Robert

Thank you for purchasing our M15SA lower receiver.

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the appearance of the inside trigger guard. Machining this area is an option. To reduce production time and cost we chose not, since it has no significance other than asthetics.

Unfortunately, since you did not purchase the receiver from us we are unable to offer a refund and suggest you contact [email protected]%^^&@#e Guns.

Sincerely,

Lou Biancospino

LRB of Long Island, Inc
96 Cherry Lane
Floral Park, NY 11001
Phone: 516-327-9061
Fax: 516-327-0246

Amazing, we did a shitty job and stand by it....note these are not being sold as economy or cosmetic blems or anything...no mention of "skippped steps" for economy...just some shitty business practice.

Lesson learned I will be buying my AR lowers from Mckay Ent. from now on ...their lowers were perfect....heck the R-guns lower I bought is "F"ing georgeous compared to this mutt. I only bought this LFB due to their reputation as a quality shop and their logo was relativly unoffensive...I am a grown man and have no need for zombies, lightning bolts, spiders or skulls on my rifle...I am also literate and pictograms are not desired nor welcome.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hows the precision on the insides where the parts interface?
I don't see a major problem. Just a problem.

Did you contact the party that sold you the rifle as the manufacturer suggested?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rest of it looks ok and will probably function fine....just looks like ass...it was not a complete rifle it was a stripped lower. I did discuss it with the shop I purchased it from but to be truthful I don't really think the onus to fix it is on them...it is clearly a manufacturing bung up and it seems a purposeful omission in the finishing step. If they wanted to save money on making it they should have/could have skipped the damn logo/rollmark and cleaned up the forging flash for christsakes!

I worked in a machine shop right out of high school and later worked in a plant that did diecast work. We wouldn't have put our name on anything that was that poorly done. I mean finishing 101 clean up the parting seams and dieflash..If it wasn't for the hard anodizing issue I'd just clean it up myself but getting it re-anodized is like $100.00 doing a single piece with USAnodizing...and that's what I have in the lower.

As stated lesson learned... I'll probably just dump it on local armslist and eat the shipping and transfer fee and buy a Mckay lower. I have two of them already and they are sweet...just wanted to try a LRB lower as I had heard such great stuf about the forged M1A1 lowers they make...From the looks of the workmanship on this I'd buy a Norinco before buying anything from them again....do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My .02. How does the rest of the lower look? I understand you spent your money and it should be exactly how you want it, BUT, did you look it over BEFORE you laid down the cash? Once the trigger is in, I bet no one would even notice it but you. LRB is right as the gun store you bought it from accepted it that way and you bought it from them so ultimately, the gun store is your point of contact. Now, if I sold it to you, I would exchange it in the name of customer service but in reality, I could tell you to pound sand as you accepted it they way it was. While I understand you are upset and other companies don"t skip this step, you shouldn't blast a company on a public forum over something you could have controlled. Now, if it were out of spec, that's a different story.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Isn't it an $80 or $100 item? I think your expectations of what a cheap stripped AR lower should look like might be a little too high.

I'd leave it, but I suppose you could grind it smooth yourself and hit it with some spray coat.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't have a chance to look it over, bought it online, the pictures did not show enough detail in that area to see the crappy finish job LRB did. There are lots of "finishing" steps carried out on a lower that could be called optional if fitting a LPK and taking a mag and going bang when you pull the trigger is the only criteria you place on the manufacturer. The fact that these were not finished 100% is straight BS on LRB's part. The fact that they are cutting corner's like this deserves a call out! They were not that cheap..if these were sold as $69.99 budget lowers or Blems fine ...they are not being discounted like that or sold/marketed like that.

From their website:

" The forgings are CNC machined on the same state of the art equipment which manufactures our M14SA receivers with tolerances held to one thousandth of an inch."

They tout the precision machining on their CNC state of the Art machines.....not seeing anywhere saying we cut corners, omit machining steps and don't bother to clean up the forging flash....

As to the receiver it went on Armslist and I sold it for what I paid for it minus the $25.00 transfer fee....the guy who bought it had a opportunity to look it over and the flashing didn't seem to bother him... I personally am not going to pay the $200.00 Tax on a ugly lower and build it into a SBR.

I've got lowers from Mckay Ent. Rguns, DSA, and Matrix Aerospace....they all are in spec. well finished...no flashing and the parts all fit and function fine and the retail price is lower then LRB's.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah as my original post and letter to LRB stated its an asthetics not functional issue....said that up front. Also stated it was purchased largely based on their reputation for excellence in machining and finish on the M1a1 recevers they sell and then when it arrived it was sub-par. If it was a painted part, parked part or blued item no problem I could clean it up and re-finish my self...kind of hard to do Type III anodizing at home.

Hey if you don't care about how it looks go LRB on the AR lower, Royal Tiger for your AK lowers and set your rivets with a hammer and punch, torque the barrel nut with pump pliers...grab a hammer and wack away, strip all the fastner heads...... it will still go bang and your trigger finger will never know the differance...hey whatever works for you.....to me it is shoddy workmanship.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
BadBrad said:

Hey if you don't care about how it looks go LRB on the AR lower, Royal Tiger for your AK lowers and set your rivets with a hammer and punch, torque the barrel nut with pump pliers...grab a hammer and wack away, strip all the fastner heads...... it will still go bang and your trigger finger will never know the differance...hey whatever works for you.....to me it is shoddy workmanship.
You are reaching with your Royal Tiger analogy vs. a cosmetic not ground flashing seam on a AR lower. I have handled and owned quite a bit of AR lowers in my day, your LRB is not the prettiest but I have seem similar or worse with other brands also.

Either way, it is neither here nor there as it comes down to whatever makes you happy and expectations that need to be met.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As much as I love lrb arms I have to admit you did get screwed on that deal, if you ever talk to Lrb on the phone about there m14 receivers they boast about how they take every step to ensure that they have the best product. Apparently they don't do that with there AR receivers

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was the rub bought something based on the companies Rep with the M14....thus the disappointment...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My PSA blem lower is finished better than that.

Only "blem" is a slight machining defect in the mag well. It's laughable.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If they are taking simple cosmetic shortcuts such as this to save money where else are they taking shortcuts? I've bought many of the blem lowers from PSA and have never found one with anything more than a light mill scuff in an inconspicuous area or slight anodizing imperfections.

Nathan

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
political climate maybe. quicker mass production last ditch model.....hahah wow!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a few LRB lowers and they have the same flashing but it's no worse than my Colt 6920. I only paid like $80 a piece for them so i didnt expect perfection. I have a MEGA that is very well machined but i paid $120 for that one. My only real complaint about the LRB receivers were the magwells are a tad tight and the finish was really chalky but they smoothed out after a lot of handling.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yeah, it's substandard attention to detail but I got my LRBs on a group buy and spent maybe $45 each. Some of the fit seems tighter than normal with the magwell and a few pins, but frankly I'd prefer that vs loose. Drop in a match trigger and you'll forget all about the rough flashing hidden in the trigger guard. The internals, at least from my control group of two, have fitted and performed admirably.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts