AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been somewhat interested in getting a Russian type 2 AK at some point so I figured I should get a gauge for the market at this point.

Anyone have a figure for the going price on kits right now (when they show up)?

Also anyone have any idea how much rebuilt rifles have sold for recently?

Ideally I think I would like a Type 2 with all Type 2 parts, is that reasonable now a days?

Also what kind of barrel condition is usually found on these?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Having been through this effort recently, I can add some insight:

Anyone have a figure for the going price on kits right now (when they show up)?
Highly dependent on the condition of the kit, what parts are included, and whether it has matching numbers. Generally, a 1951 with a large number of T1 transitional parts on it is going to go for more than a 1955 with a large number of T3 transitional parts on it. Similarly, an all-Russian kit is going to go for more than one that's had the carrier, gas tube, and top cover swapped out for units from a random country of origin.

As a price reference: A recent GB auction for an all-matching 1951 kit in excellent condition, with a large number of transitional parts, hit $3800. Around December of last year, BR762 sold a couple of non-matching kits in fair condition for around $1200 each (IIRC). BR's kits sold very quickly from what I recall, and the GB auction didn't sell, so realistic prices would probably be somewhere inside that range.

Also anyone have any idea how much rebuilt rifles have sold for recently?
Between two Turbothis rewelds that I purchased recently, and excluding the value of any spare or extra parts that were included with them, I paid a median price of about $2300 each. I paid a LOT more for one than I did for the other though. One was a fixed-stock, the other was an underfolder. The front and rear trunnions on both matched (by serialed grip nut), and all other parts were non-matching or force-matched.

Ideally I think I would like a Type 2 with all Type 2 parts, is that reasonable now a days?
It's not that simple. Many parts that came on T2s could also be found on T1s or T3s, depending on the year of the rifle and depending on what part an Izzy employee pulled out of the parts bin that day. For instance (IIRC) the heavy top covers started being phased out circa 1952, but people will occasionally find a 1955 kit with a heavy top cover that has matching serials to the kit. Fredieusa has a nice chart that shows the estimated transition timeline for most parts (it's missing info on a couple of minor details though).

If you're looking specifically for a T2 that doesn't have T1 or T3 type barrel components, a 1952-1954 dated kit is your best bet.

Also what kind of barrel condition is usually found on these?
Varies. IMHO, most of the nice condition kits have settled into collections. I had a WTB thread up for about 2 months, and a third of the kits/rifles I was offered had poor condition or counter-bored barrels.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Prices for Built Rifles is VERY subjective..

It is common to but a kit for $1k+ or even $2k+ and then spend $300 to get it build... and then wonder why it does not sell.. even after the seller lowers the price to the point they are actually loosing money.. I have seen built rifles go for LESS than what the kit itself is worth. and that is because once it is hacked up by the home brew or the budget builds, it CANNOT be simply re-cut and brought back to the original pre-build "kit" stage. The determining factor is the quality and accuracy of the build - Specifically the receiver..

I know of ONLY one builder (BR7.62) that has consistently delivered results that enhance the value of a kit after the build. Everyone else is usually a miss..

I never understood the race and hurry to get that kit built.. Personally, I would wait for BR762 to re-activate or for the next BR762 to come along..

Cheers FD

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m03, thanks for the insight from someone who has recently went through this journey.
fredieusa, I agree BR762 does great work, I have seen some pictures in the past and they where amazing. On top of that through my personal interactions he has been a real helpful guy.

To clear my original post up, I would be interested in a fixed stock model. I actually would like to find a decent barrel, as crazy as it might some to some I would actually take it out and shot it. Although it would be a collectible I still would want it to function adequately.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Prices for Built Rifles is VERY subjective..

It is common to but a kit for $1k+ or even $2k+ and then spend $300 to get it build... and then wonder why it does not sell.. even after the seller lowers the price to the point they are actually loosing money.. I have seen built rifles go for LESS than what the kit itself is worth. and that is because once it is hacked up by the home brew or the budget builds, it CANNOT be simply re-cut and brought back to the original pre-build "kit" stage. The determining factor is the quality and accuracy of the build - Specifically the receiver..

I know of ONLY one builder (BR7.62) that has consistently delivered results that enhance the value of a kit after the build. Everyone else is usually a miss..

I never understood the race and hurry to get that kit built.. Personally, I would wait for BR762 to re-activate or for the next BR762 to come along..

Cheers FD
From experience, that goes for any "kit build" AK. For some reason, the kits are worth more then the completed gun... Even if its all Grade A US Parts, and built by one of the better builders.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From experience, that goes for any "kit build" AK. For some reason, the kits are worth more then the completed gun... Even if its all Grade A US Parts, and built by one of the better builders.
Yes this tends to be a strange trend, I guess building it must be more important then the end product for some. For something like this I would prefer a professional built rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts