AK Rifles banner
261 - 280 of 331 Posts

· Registered
8,046 Posts
1976 GV4444 “G” (2nd oldest G listed :rolleyes:)
arrow in triangle
circle Y factory barrel
Matching lower wood

Really lucky to have scored this one locally. Have just ordered a recreator romy g 80% blank to go with it and will be removing that stub soon!

View attachment 292077
View attachment 292079
View attachment 292083
Beautiful example.

We need to find you a correct 1970's era G stock. The color will be more amber brown/blonde like your hand guards. The stock profile on top resemebles a 1970's era Izzy Russian. The 1980's and later Romanian stocks are almost always darker brown and the top is more curved like the one you have. Importers shipped the majority of the G kits with buttstocks from another kit. Don't sweat it - i a part that can be changed after your build.

FWIW a Flat top A selector would be correct for 1976 - 1979 G rifles. Member ptica posted pictures of a 1976 Md63 deact he has/had that had the flat top A.

Here is a 1977 Md63 deact that was sold in Spain - Flat top A.

Same stock profile correct for the era - just sans the black band. Based on serial number ranges I am convinced G rifles were just pulled in batches from the Md63 production line and modified after.

· Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful example.

We need to find you a correct 1970's era G stock. The color will be more amber brown/blonde like your hand guards. The stock profile on top resemebles a 1970's era Izzy Russian. The 1980's and later Romanian stocks are almost always darker brown and the top is more curved like the one you have. Importers shipped the majority of the G kits with buttstocks from another kit. Don't sweat it - i a part that can be changed after your build.

FWIW a Flat top A selector would be correct for 1976 - 1979 G rifles. Member ptica posted pictures of a 1976 Md63 deact he has/had that had the flat top A.

Here is a 1977 Md63 deact that was sold in Spain - Flat top A.

Same stock profile correct for the era - just sans the black band. Based on serial number ranges I am convinced G rifles were just pulled in batches from the Md63 production line and modified after.

Really appreciate all of these details/advice. I’ve been aware of the Romy Gs for a while but honestly didn’t know much of their unique background until I started researching this kit specifically. Definitely want to build this kit as true to original as possible and will take my time getting it right. I’ve been wanting to do a parts kit build for a while and pandemic mode finally pushed me over the edge to get the home shop up and running.

Re: Flat A selector marking
The Flat A tip is definitely making me rethink the recreator blank. Any suggestions on where to source a good 80% (I’m guessing I could get a blank one and etch the markings myself)? Recreator was only place that seemed to be available.

Re: stock
This makes a lot of sense. I definitely suspected rear stock wasn’t original to rest of the kit due to color difference. Glad to hear that it was common for the importers to mix them up. The guy I got the kit from knew very little about it, and I ended up teaching him about it based on my research (and walked away with a very good deal). I’ll keep an eye out for a more age appropriate stock (and will upgrade as needed). Curious if anyone knows anyone selling them (or able to pick out a specific one from their stock). Also curious if the grip colors changed over the years... this one is a bit browner than some of the other Romanian grips I’ve seen in person (realize photos can be hard to tell esp. with Bakelite).

One other question I had in learning about how the Romanians modified the auto sears so the rifles wouldn’t be able to fire full auto for the civilian guard (bit of a noob question and realize a bit of a sensitive topic):
Given the auto sear is modified so rifle can’t shoot auto, would a fully holed Romy G build fall within NFA? I honestly wouldn’t consider doing this given gray area (and horror stories I’ve read about). In the case of these Romy Gs it seems that given the sear has been rendered inert I wouldn’t think this wouldn’t be constructive procession. Anyways... I’m not a lawyer but was curious about this given these rifles’ background (apologies if this has specifically been discussed on another thread).

· Super Moderator
26,824 Posts
Thanks man! Def gonna build this one out correctly :cool:
The third hole is a no no....unless you want to be visited by the ATF boys, steer clear and just go for the look. Here is mine, and I had the same issue you did with my stock, but fortunately a fellow mod stepped in to help out:
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

Attachments

· Registered
AKM,
55 Posts
Ok, here's mine. I bought about 10 or 12 years ago. EV -2130 - 73. V could be a Y, who ever did with the electric pen was drunk. It also says Wasr 10/63. Don't know what year it is, or if it has a cast or solid trunion. No Pyramid with a arrow.

261 - 280 of 331 Posts