AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hiking/walking along the remnants of an old railroad not too far from Tombstone. Here's a shot of the area and you can see it's quite a nice area:

It was getting late and a thunderstorm was brewing so I decided to be a tough guy and jog some of the distance back when a crooked little fellow got in my path and attempted to hold me up:

I was running so fast and not paying attention that I almost ran up next to it. But he definately let me know I was too close with that rattle and did a little lunge toward me. We went our separate ways after some well-placed rock throwing. Looked about four feet when he stretched-out and slithered away. I also hit the reality wall when I noticed my cellphone was out of range of any signal and I was about 40 minutes walking distance from my parked van/15 minutes drive to any hospital from the van. That could've been ugly. You've definately got to watch for critters - even in the most mundane places.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Nice trail to have. I especially like those 2 hills in the first pic!

How far does that trail go? Looks like you can drive it. Is it public land?

Glad you and your new friend are ok.

·
Registered
21,882 Posts
thirdeye said:
Yikes! Note to self: Add rattler anti-venom to first aid kit!
heck with just that...

add 'shot-shells' to any pistol you happen to have on you

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
+1 for great pic

The scenery really looks nice. Spent some time in my youth camping out in Sedona AZ. I love that state. I hear rattlesnake is good eats. Glad to hear you were safe.

·
Registered
703 Posts
He was just happy to see you is all :mrgreen:

Ya, I just got back from a two month trip in Arizona. You guys have some nice hiking. The only critters I ran across was a couple of Havalina's and a shit load of Qual. Personaly I was more afraid of the hike killing me than the critters LOL

·
Registered
236 Posts
I grew up in central Fl. boonies and I will add that is very easy to walk up on Rattle snakes.The largest one I shot was almost 7' long,about 25 years ago. Although I'm lucky never to have been bit. I agree,watch your step while hiking, even target shooting in wooded areas. Great views.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It's good you didn't come across one of the newer models. I'm told they are equipped with a non-rattling trait that is getting more prevalent because of over hunting in some parts.

·
Registered
703 Posts
j_tudeski said:
It's good you didn't come across one of the newer models. I'm told they are equipped with a non-rattling trait that is getting more prevalent because of over hunting in some parts.
Ya, those newer models are inexperienced and don't know when to stop pumping...

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I ran into this Mojave rattler last fall in the Sonora desert. I think I scared him as much as he scared me - he was taking a nap under an old Plymouth hood in a dry wash.

·
Registered
495 Posts
SVORay said:
He was just happy to see you is all :mrgreen:

Ya, I just got back from a two month trip in Arizona. You guys have some nice hiking. The only critters I ran across was a couple of Havalina's and a shit load of Qual. Personaly I was more afraid of the hike killing me than the critters LOL
The javelina can be very nasty-especially when they have young to protect. The quails are just hilarious. I could spend hours watching them.

rayman1, if you can't answer the 3 questions they ask (Monty Python reference), just flip 'em over and rub their belly. They love that. :mrgreen:

j_tudeski said:
Watched some rattlesnake experts on TV come up on multiple RS's and they stayed quiet looooong after they normally would have. Thanks to idiots and their "Rattlesnake Roundups" where they capture and slaughter thousands at a time, the quiet ones have been artificially selected to pass along their genes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts