AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going down to Atlanta for business for two weeks and willl have a little spare time.... so I was wondering if anyone is familar with the city that can recommend any decent activities to do around the city ??
Are there any good Gun shops / Ranges to visit??? :wink:
I'm also interested in a GOOD southern barbeque joint locations around Atlanta.... :grin:

Thanks ahead for any input :smile:
SWAY

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Barbecue = Daddy D'z

Gun Shop = Tucker Gun or Adventure Outdoors

Indoor range = American Marksman

Activities = Fernbank Museum, cuz - DINOSAURS!!!! The iMax theater there is cool, too.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Stone Mountain...just went there and I thought it was cool. I like to hit the places with history...

yadaddy..I'm going to have to take you up on the Barbecue...LOL..
I'm using Adventure for my receiver transfers now...nice shop with a good selection..

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm talkin' HUGE FREAKIN' DINOSAURS!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fox Brothers BBQ. BEST ALL AROUND BBQ resturaunt. http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/ EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERYTHING at Fox brothers is EXCELLENT..some of the best Brisket I've ever put in my mouth. these guys VEGGIES are the BEST...this is NOT a one hit wonder like so many BBQ joints...even desserts are KILLER!!!

Fat Matt's Rib Shack
1811 Piedmont Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
404-607-1622
Fat Matt's has great Ribs, and towards the weekend, evenings are live Jazz, COLD beer and finger licken' ribs out under the open sky...Happening place late week..good anytime.

In TUCKER (east Atlanta) you MUST eat at Mathews Cafe...REAL HOME COOKING..no BBQ but SOUTHERN VEGGIES with fat back and ham hocks, real biscuts, FRIED CHICKEN and...oh man I'm getting hungry...!!!!

Spiced right in Lilburn is pretty classic BBQ.
Rollin' Bones is okay...
AVOID Williams Brothers if you see one

This Little Piggy in the CITY (not county) of Forsyth (1 hour South of Atlant towards Macon) next to the Law Enforcement Training Center is probably the best (and least known about) in the State. The Smoked Porkchop is 2" thick and cuts with a PLASTIC FORK!!!! $6.75 with a sweet tea, bread and beans....OH MAN it's good!

Amsterdam Walk is a cool hang-out place in the evenings as is Virginia Highlands. Buckhead is also the party place. Underground Atlanta is a little "shady" and can be down right scary at times...wayyyyy too many homeless crackhead beggars for my taste.

Go walk through Oakland cemetary if you have some free time. Big Union and Confederate section with a HUGE Marble Lion statue..lot's of really cool history and monuments. Bobbie Jones is buried there if your a golfer!! When finished Cross the street and eat at 6 Feet Under...it's really good.

Grant Park and the Cyclorama (made in the late 1890-early 1900 traveling Civil War battle of Altanta painting/clayfigure display) It's about one story tall and you sit on bleachers and slowly spin around it.

MUST DO...Go have a beer or six at the TOP of the Peachtree Westin Hotel. (The tall round glass one) Still missing windows from the Tornado that went through downtown, but has the BEST view of Atlanta you can get.

If your at the Airport*** this is the ONLY time to ignore the bottom paragraph***** Eat at SPONDIVIT's...GREAT seafood done really well..bar typr environment and casual. DO NOT "explore" anywhere else around here as this is INDIAN COUNTRY...see below!!!!

Eat at Fogo de Chao at Piedmont Road and Peachtree (make reservations at 404.266.9988) Nice place, take clients/customers/friends you want to impress. Eat a light breakfast, skip lunch then go eat at FOGO'S....SON!!!!!!!! (Lunch is the SAME menu but at half the price!!!! problem is if you eat lunch here, your FINISHED for the rest of the day..go back to the Hotel and SLEEP!!!!)

Stone Mountain is a great 1/2 day..go weekend and stay until after dark to see the laser show and fireworks.

There's TONs to do and see...STAY AWAY FROM THE SOUTH SIDE of Atlanta ANYTHING SE, SSE, S ,SSW, SW is BAD GU-GU for you...not the place you want to be ANYTIME of the day. ANYwhere outside of the airport until you hit downtown and Turner Field is the DMZ...

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay :dance: :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Kalashnikov-kid said:
There's TONs to do and see...STAY AWAY FROM THE SOUTH SIDE of Atlanta ANYTHING SE, SSE, S ,SSW, SW is BAD GU-GU for you...not the place you want to be ANYTIME of the day. ANYwhere outside of the airport until you hit downtown and Turner Field is the DMZ...
Hey man...I live there! :wink:
Kalashnikov pretty much hit the nail on the head.
A big +1 to Oakland Cemetery and Daddy Z's is just a block a way.
Also football this weekend …… you cant go wrong watching college football in the south. (Even if the UGA game is PPV!! :evil: )
And Dragoncon…..That’s where I’ll be. GREAT people watching, even if your not into the whole Sci-Fi thing it’s still pretty cool to see a parade of storm troopers and Klingons marching down the road.
If you are driving….AVOID 75/85.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
nocomply said:
If you are driving, avoid everything M-F between the hours of 4pm and 7pm.
The "Atlanta Driving Game" is for experienced players, only.

·
Registered
943 Posts
yadaddy said:
nocomply said:
If you are driving, avoid everything M-F between the hours of 4pm and 7pm.
The "Atlanta Driving Game" is for experienced players, only.

Oh my god, I soooooo DO NOT miss that. You're bringing back HORRIBLE memories :mrgreen:. For the last four years, this has been my view when driving to work :twisted: :dance:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
thirdeye said:
For the last four years, this has been my view when driving to work.
Hate you.

Actually, negotiating Atlanta traffic is one of my favorite things about living here. It's like the biggest video game in the world!
Two kinds of drivers in Atlanta. Sheep and Wolves. I'm a Wolf.
The Sheep sit in those ridiculous line on the well traveled routes and the wolves use all the cool tricks, to get around town.
At my peak, I could get just about anywhere in Atlanta, during rush hour with very little delay.
Thanks to those damn yankees, the city wuz burnted-ed down back in olden times and the city was built back in a very organic random way.
This leaves lots of tricks for those who are willing to find and exploit them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
South ATL aint that bad. I lived/worked there for sometime and the natives, while at time are shocking, for the most part fairly harmless. during the day.

atlanta is a cool city. another vote for the cycleroma, pretty cool.

Buckhead can be fun if your into the drinking till 4am thing.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
South ATL aint that bad.
Atlanta is just like any bigger city. You've got to know where you can be and when.
The most recent invasion from suburbia, has many parts of the city that I considered "Nam," back in the 90s, giving me little to no reason for concern.
A real Urban revival going on here, right now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sway,

Amend my comments about SOUTH of downtown to extend roughly to I-285 (perimeter) Past 9OUTSIDE) the perimeter things get much safer as our members living in those areas are proof of...at least MOST of them ain't THUGS!!!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, labor day weekend AND 75/85 construction at the connector... that's going to suck. I'm staying in Duluth for the weekend.

You could walk around centennial park, which is right next to the aquarium. You could go look at nerds at GaTech (my alma mater). or drive down boulevard and draw fire... :goof:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts