AK Rifles banner

ATI 1973 Tula purchased in 2011

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  scottyb 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked this 1973 Tula up back in 2011.... Everything matches but the trunion, Here are a few pictures want more ask...
Match rifle shooting Air gun Plant Trigger Wood
Table Toy Wood Tool Electrical wiring
Match rifle shooting Air gun Plant Trigger Wood
Table Toy Wood Tool Electrical wiring
Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Fender Gas
Wood Bumper Electronic instrument Gas Audio equipment
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Wood Automotive exterior

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Why, ? ...This one seems fine, except for the billboard. I have had this for ten years now, no problems and shoots excellent, no jams, no hi-ups..no FTF . Very dependable, not one problem.

They made very few of these, unless your holding one you cannot appreciate how well they are made. The barrel is excellent by the way.

For looks ?

Why would I change this ? I see no reason.

I

#11 ·
awsome piece

Reactions: Judi
#14 ·
Nice pistol grip with the upside down mold numbers. Very nice cast gas block! I think you even have a Tula cast rear sight base. If it is, that’s really awesome! Is there any proof marks on the RSB? Could you take some pictures with the gas tube and lower hand guard off?

#17 ·
Those ATI builds used those parts kits that had Tula trunnions with mostly Izzy parts with US barrels. I believe Sportsman’s Guide sold a bunch of those kits around ‘08. They bought up a bunch of those kits hoping to build Russian AKMs and make a killing. I don’t think they made it to a hundred before they realized that they weren’t the hot commodity they were hoping for. They didn’t do their research to find out which factory the parts came from. Maybe at the time just saying it was all Russian was enough. Do not look to those pics as a reference for a ‘73 Tula as parts are from different eras and look to be mostly Izzy. I was able to secure a bunch of their Tula trunnions when they were discovered in storage a few years later and have been piecing them together every since. Thanks for sharing though. A couple of suggestions if I may. I’d either get a flared top cover or replace the safety with an earlier style. If the safety that’s on it is Tula it’s worth more than the earlier ones anyways. Also I’d get some correct stock screws to replace them drywall screws.

#18 ·
Thank you for the information. I am not a parts expert, when I purchased this back in 2010 I thought the price was right comparing to WASR 10/63's which were around $380. I always thought of it as a mismatched Tula arsenal Russian part gun. Like the Mosin's.

I was not referencing the parts, as I did a search to see if any other ATI 's were posted, only one showed from 2011.

Questions for you....

Why replace the top cover ( I do have smooth one in Russian ) .... or why replace the safety ?

Once gain thanks for the information and input.

Which parts if you can tell and help me,... appear to be Tula or Iz. ?

#20 ·
After taking a closer look, I believe your safety lever is an AK74. I just happen to have my Tula's out putting on some BFPU slings on. Here is a '66 on top and a '76 on the bottom.

You can see the flared top cover on the '76 with the safety lever that goes up under the flare. '73 would look more like the '66. I'd keep your top cover since it matches and find a Tula safety lever for it.

#21 ·
Looking at your pics @Judi I'm wishing I would have picked up a couple of those rifles at that price. At that time I was gathering tooling and parts kits to build my own. I'd love to rebuild one of those in a recreator receiver and try to chase parts to make it more arsenal correct. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

I still think you have a great piece that has served you well.

#22 ·
As far as what’s Tula... the pistol grip and front trunnion look like the only parts that are Tula. Rear trunnion is an Izzy and is ‘73 era. However, Tula was still using the “donut hole“ style in ‘73. I wouldn’t worry too much about correct parts at this point. You have a great shooter there. I’d just appreciate it for what it is. Unless of course you come across the matching parts or at least the ones with the same prefix. They’re out there. I’ve seen that prefix on some parts floating around.

#23 ·
sportsmans guide was selling those kits,all matching except trunnion.back them when they demilled some rifles they mixed up the trunnions at the demill site and just put any trunnion in any ak kit bag.there was a thread on the files years back where guys where posting kit numbers looking for the matching trunnion.i bought 3 of those kits all matching except trunnion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.