AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Get it rebuilt on a proper receiver

Why, ? ...This one seems fine, except for the billboard. I have had this for ten years now, no problems and shoots excellent, no jams, no hi-ups..no FTF . Very dependable, not one problem.

They made very few of these, unless your holding one you cannot appreciate how well they are made. The barrel is excellent by the way.

For looks ?

Why would I change this ? I see no reason.

I

·
Registered
251 Posts
Love that dark red color furniture!
What serial numbers is the rest of the rifle? Is that a cast gas block? Would like to see some pictures of GB and FSB? Really like the unusual kits.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Can you post close ups of the various parts?

Not many 73s around that i have seen.

A properly done receiver with matching serno would look better but its really only aesthetics.

A paint job with some Russian style to match the parts would be nice touch and easy to do.

If you are good with it that is all that matters.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
awsome piece

Reactions: Judi

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you post close ups of the various parts?

Not many 73s around that i have seen.

A properly done receiver with matching serno would look better but its really only aesthetics.

A paint job with some Russian style to match the parts would be nice touch and easy to do.

If you are good with it that is all that matters.
Thanks... more pictures

Very nice. I like the outdoor pics.

Any other pictures or more close up ?

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Is it an original barrel? Any markings?

Pic of the rear trunion looking down from above?

Nice gas block.

Those magwell rivets are ugly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice pistol grip with the upside down mold numbers. Very nice cast gas block! I think you even have a Tula cast rear sight base. If it is, that’s really awesome! Is there any proof marks on the RSB? Could you take some pictures with the gas tube and lower hand guard off?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it an original barrel? Any markings?

Pic of the rear trunion looking down from above?

Nice gas block.

Those magwell rivets are ugly.
No barrel marking

Nice pistol grip with the upside down mold numbers. Very nice cast gas block! I think you even have a Tula cast rear sight base. If it is, that’s really awesome! Is there any proof marks on the RSB? Could you take some pictures with the gas tube and lower hand guard off?
ok
SAM_6861.JPG
SAM_6862.JPG
SAM_6864.JPG
SAM_6866.JPG
SAM_6867.JPG
SAM_6868.JPG
SAM_6869.JPG
SAM_6870.JPG
SAM_6871.JPG
SAM_6872.JPG

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Those ATI builds used those parts kits that had Tula trunnions with mostly Izzy parts with US barrels. I believe Sportsman’s Guide sold a bunch of those kits around ‘08. They bought up a bunch of those kits hoping to build Russian AKMs and make a killing. I don’t think they made it to a hundred before they realized that they weren’t the hot commodity they were hoping for. They didn’t do their research to find out which factory the parts came from. Maybe at the time just saying it was all Russian was enough. Do not look to those pics as a reference for a ‘73 Tula as parts are from different eras and look to be mostly Izzy. I was able to secure a bunch of their Tula trunnions when they were discovered in storage a few years later and have been piecing them together every since. Thanks for sharing though. A couple of suggestions if I may. I’d either get a flared top cover or replace the safety with an earlier style. If the safety that’s on it is Tula it’s worth more than the earlier ones anyways. Also I’d get some correct stock screws to replace them drywall screws.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those ATI builds used those parts kits that had Tula trunnions with mostly Izzy parts with US barrels. I believe Sportsman’s Guide sold a bunch of those kits around ‘08. They bought up a bunch of those kits hoping to build Russian AKMs and make a killing. I don’t think they made it to a hundred before they realized that they weren’t the hot commodity they were hoping for. They didn’t do their research to find out which factory the parts came from. Maybe at the time just saying it was all Russian was enough. Do not look to those pics as a reference for a ‘73 Tula as parts are from different eras and look to be mostly Izzy. I was able to secure a bunch of their Tula trunnions when they were discovered in storage a few years later and have been piecing them together every since. Thanks for sharing though. A couple of suggestions if I may. I’d either get a flared top cover or replace the safety with an earlier style. If the safety that’s on it is Tula it’s worth more than the earlier ones anyways. Also I’d get some correct stock screws to replace them drywall screws.
Thank you for the information. I am not a parts expert, when I purchased this back in 2010 I thought the price was right comparing to WASR 10/63's which were around $380. I always thought of it as a mismatched Tula arsenal Russian part gun. Like the Mosin's.

I was not referencing the parts, as I did a search to see if any other ATI 's were posted, only one showed from 2011.

Questions for you....

Why replace the top cover ( I do have smooth one in Russian ) .... or why replace the safety ?

Once gain thanks for the information and input.

Which parts if you can tell and help me,... appear to be Tula or Iz. ?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Why, ? ...This one seems fine, except for the billboard. I have had this for ten years now, no problems and shoots excellent, no jams, no hi-ups..no FTF . Very dependable, not one problem.

They made very few of these, unless your holding one you cannot appreciate how well they are made. The barrel is excellent by the way.

For looks ?

Why would I change this ? I see no reason.

I
You posted this in the Russian section where the hard-core Russian nerds hangout. Do you want me to respond to your question, because I will be very blunt.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
After taking a closer look, I believe your safety lever is an AK74. I just happen to have my Tula's out putting on some BFPU slings on. Here is a '66 on top and a '76 on the bottom.

You can see the flared top cover on the '76 with the safety lever that goes up under the flare. '73 would look more like the '66. I'd keep your top cover since it matches and find a Tula safety lever for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts