AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone:

I have an interest in importing legally some inert ordnance...mainly RPG type launchers. There's an ATF Form 6 available on the web. Can anyone give me some pointers on how this process works? Who to contact at ATF or is it Customs or Dept. of Homeland Security? Are there some countries that importation is impossible even if the launcher is demilled to spec? What pitfalls? Help appreciated!

Calls made to today, just:

1) local ATF in Houston, no answer back yet.
2) Howard Dorf, in FL, no answer back yet.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
If you can find somewhere that will actually sell one to you, and deactivate it to US standards, then its pretty straight forward.

I would not bother with the local ATF agent.. They will not know, and will just look it up in the rule book.. Plus, they are not the ones going to approve your import permit. I would try direct to the ATF import branch.

When I was stationed in Germany, I wrote the ATF import branch to ask about importing an RPG7 launcher and RPG75..

Here is what they had to say:

I had one that I bought in Germany, already deactivated to German standards. I ended up selling it, as I decided to consolidate to AK stuff.

The instructions are pretty straight forward.

Allot of people will complain and say the ATF standards are wrong, etc.. But the way I look at it, they are the ones that approve the import permit, as well as the ones that will come after you for your illegal RPG7 launcher..Having a rocket launcher, grenade, etc that is not deactivated to the proper standards (and still legally a rocket launcher, grenade, etc) is not something I want to mess with.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
You also may want to call and check what the current regulations on them are. I've heard talk the US Customs folks very serious issues with them now for some reason, despite what the BATFE folks have to say. US Customs is the one that will have the initial say on them anyway.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
forum6

like these guy's said just check the regulations at this time, in 1994 i imported some krink kits & filled out a forum 6 for parts of ak-47's and their variants & in 6 weeks i had an approved forum 6, i didn't talk to anybody. The main thing is to have a source for what your'e looking for, as they probibly will have to get an export permit to send

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Form 6 Update

Guys:

Okay, I have applied to "import" a RPG-7D and sent in the Form 6 request for approval by the ATF. Also, I sent in to ATF a letter requesting the specific details for "destruction" specific to the 7D model, which I want to make sure of: 1) rod welded through the firing pin hole 2) bore size hole cut on left side and under 1st set of heat shields behind the 2nd grips. Per local US Customs in Houston, "no problem" as long as the item comes in with both the approved Form 6 and the ATF opinion letter. They will intercept the shipment when it comes through the International Airport. So, the tricky part is to arrange for shipment to me via the Airport and no stops elsewhere. Wish me luck? :neutral:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Again, US Customs is mostly the key. The BATFE is primarily concerned with it rendered safe/harmless/inert properly. Nothing to do with getting it to the US. If US Customs approve of a Russian RPG-7, you're practically there. Remember, it's one thing for a US Customs agent/representative to have no problem with it (especially if they probably either don't know what it honestly is or are not familiar with it) but it's another thing when US Customs agents physically review the shipment at the first port of entry somewhere. All it takes is an overzealous, knowledgeable agent doing his job to seize it if they know it's from Russia or they feel it was misrepresented on the form to "circumvent" the system to get it to the US. A lot of time and money will have been given to the government.

But all that is taking into consideration your contact can legally export/mail it out from his location, his paperwork is approved by his government, and the tube itself is properly de-militarized per BATFE regulations before it even arrives to the US. With luck, hopefully your contact will properly de-militarize it IAW all the BATFE regulations regarding it. The last thing you'd want is for him to do a "half-ass" de-mill or just not bother with it at all (since it probably conforms to whatever legal specifications is required where he's at) then mail it. It would be a completely uncomfortable mess if the thing showed-up in the US only to get inspected by US Customs, then BATFE because of a shoddy/improper de-mill. The agents would probably not be happy with that, either, considering the amount of paperwork they'd have to do.

If you can, please keep us posted. Sounds like an interesting endeavor and good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The only hangup I can see is where is the tube coming from?
I tried, repeatedly, to bring back a Winchester M1 Garand but every Form 6 was disapproved due to it coming from a "Prohibited Country". Not even my Senator could get that changed.
Make sure your country is approved. They will deny if not on approved list.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reply from ATF...

All:

Will post the response* from BATFE regarding the demilling requirements of the RPG-7D, this request took approximately two months to get. Had to resubmit the Form 6 application due to additional information needed like class of item and the address of manufacturer. Hope to get that back soon in approved mode to move forward in getting the 7D into the States. Hopeful!

:cool:

PS: *after Hurricane Ike, and after I finish my coverage of the ER during the storm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BATFE Response on Destruction Specs for the 7D launcher

This is the illustrative pic submitted to the BATFE for review and the destructive instructions.

Any comments?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BATFE Form 6

All:

The RPG-7D is coming from Canada. Am keeping my fingers crossed. Local US Customs has given me the green light if I get the approval of the Form 6. :wink:

PS: if any of you has tried to PM me...for some strange reason, I can't get any of my messages. I think the inbox is full and I have to delete the lot of messages to get new ones but just about every message sent via PM is still in my "Sent" folder and those are still never opened or viewed by the recipient. Just e-mail me for best results.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Form 6 is Approved!

Just in today by mail: the BATFE conditional approved Form 6 for the importation of the RPG-7D. Now, I have to get the item appropriately demilled and shipped into Houston direct and inspected by US Customs. Almost there but not quite................... :smile:

Now, I really need to work on selling my Chinese Type-69 launcher set to fund the $$$ RPG-7D!! :razz:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question:..........

Hello Sturm, et al:

Thanks!

Biggie question: the BATFE has included two unfilled copies of a green colored form: ATF Form 6A (5330.3C). Now, I figured that I would have to send to the seller the original conditional approved ATF Form 6 - Part I (5330.3A) with the destruction specs as included that is to be shipped with the 7D. Now, do I have to complete in the two copies of the green Form 6A and send that along with the paperwork to be included with the 7D?? My guess to my question is a "Yes", but I would like the board members to weigh in on this as I am a newbie in the arena of importing "inert" firearms. Or am I to only present those green forms when I pick up the item from US Customs? Thanks in advance for your responses/help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Mr. Stott:

Much thanks on the response. When the 7D does come in, I'll post pics.........wish me luck and God Speed! :dance:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
o

Send a copy to the importer if i remember you keep the green one's for custom's.When i imported they didn't even open the boxes.They came in on klm airlines & custom's just filled out the paper work[green sheets]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This stuff still allowed in? I've been wanting to get some RPG-7 parts for an airsoft replica I have been building. (it's CO2 powered and runs off of a standard paintball tank) In any case, that deactivated real-steel launcher looks like a great wall-hanger.

So how much does all that cost? I haven't seen the RPG-7D out there much. The Type 69 is also a rarity that I would like to view more often.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RPG-7D

The 7D is now in the process for an export permit to the US from Canada. Once that is approved, then the demil process will be done and the item shipped to the US. Type-69? Got one to sell too, myself, and will be posting pics once I get some work done...biggie ? is when do I find the time... :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update!

The 7D is on its way...due to arrive on the 19th of Nov per the tracking info. Hopefully, US Customs doesn't have any issues with it or the paperwork at the Border. The source of this 7D is Al Fraser at Collector's Source in CAN. Here's their weblink:

http://www.collectorssource.com/

Al has been nothing but professional and superb in the handling of this transaction so far. Will update more with pics upon arrival and in my hands! :grin:

Update: Now, today's latest, it's on the way to Big D by tomorrow afternoon. The 7D was cleared by US Customs and it's almost here! Per the shipper in Houston, by this weekend! Hooray! Update: Tomorrow's D'Day, the 23rd - Delivery Day :grin: :grin: :dance:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts