AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) announced the finalization of its stabilizer brace ban on Friday, and within hours, members of Congress were talking about using the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to block it.

· Registered
202 Posts
It will be challenged in court like the receivers. What is pissing me off the courts already have ruled they don't have this authority to make law, yet somehow these rules of theirs are considered law. Congress wont do the right thing even if there was a bribe attached to it.

Reactions: pmbthedad

· Registered
5,184 Posts
As I have said before, the ATF needs to go bye-bye. Along with many other government agencies.

I would say I would like someone tell me where in the U.S. Constitution the ATF has this authority but it does not matter. The ATF does whatever it wants and the criminals in Congress let it happen.

· Registered
23,516 Posts
Sue, block, do whatever because this is even more infringement. It's been what like 10 years since the braces have been out there and ohhhhh heyyyyy no super uptick in AR or AK pistols with braces being used in crimes. yet all of a sudden "lol brace = stock = SBR so we'll make it something its not but its ok.. free SBR" I wonder if someone can claim a rifle is a pistol and get a free SBR out of it.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Sue, block, do whatever because this is even more infringement. It's been what like 10 years since the braces have been out there and ohhhhh heyyyyy no super uptick in AR or AK pistols with braces being used in crimes. yet all of a sudden "lol brace = stock = SBR so we'll make it something its not but its ok.. free SBR" I wonder if someone can claim a rifle is a pistol and get a free SBR out of it.
This is another .gov scam to have people register guns.

· Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I'm seeing on a couple other forums where people are planning on spamming them with gobs of forms for free registrations, basically anything and everything they have they they'd ever considered going sbr they're gong to sbr it with the free stamp. I don't agree with the "ruling" at all, but considering it'll be just like the bump stocks and it'll take years to overturn if at all part of me says go the malicious compliance route myself.
We've speculated for years this would happen, I'm pretty sure next they'll start going after the non-sbs models like shockwaves and such next.

· Registered
238 Posts
So something for thought and no I haven't read all 300 pages just quite yet. A buddy at a a gun shop was saying that (at least the way he read and understood) was that if you took advantage of the blatant registration option that allows registering sans tax stamp fee that it only registered the gun as a "pistol braced sbr" (atf making up terms) and that if you at a later date wanted to make it into a real sbr with a stock it would take yet another form 1 and $200

· Registered
3,581 Posts
So something for thought and no I haven't read all 300 pages just quite yet. A buddy at a a gun shop was saying that (at least the way he read and understood) was that if you took advantage of the blatant registration option that allows registering sans tax stamp fee that it only registered the gun as a "pistol braced sbr" (atf making up terms) and that if you at a later date wanted to make it into a real sbr with a stock it would take yet another form 1 and $200
You can switch it later without paying for a stamp. Section 10.

Here's what I see, but you know what they say about opinions...

Many will register for their 'free' stamp. 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? More?

If/when the regulation is thrown out, that registration already exists. ATF is not going to permanently destroy those records.

IF you are OK with the entire NFA/SBR process and the $200 was the ONLY thing holding you back, it might make sense to take the 'free' stamp and swap to a stock.

· Registered
307 Posts
Also note that the ATF specifically states that the braces are NOT banned.
No requirement to turn them in, you can voluntarily surrender or destroy them.
The tax exempt form doesn't have you list anything other than the details of the firearm, and photographs of any markings already on the receiver (serial number, maker, importer, caliber, whatever...)
This form also allows the attachment of electronic fingerprint files, like you can do already on form 4's.
I expect the ATF booth at the Shot Show is going to be busy!

· Registered
494 Posts
Also note that the ATF specifically states that the braces are NOT banned.
No requirement to turn them in, you can voluntarily surrender or destroy them.
The tax exempt form doesn't have you list anything other than the details of the firearm, and photographs of any markings already on the receiver (serial number, maker, importer, caliber, whatever...)
This form also allows the attachment of electronic fingerprint files, like you can do already on form 4's.
I expect the ATF booth at the Shot Show is going to be busy!
The photos are optional. They are also waiving the engraving requirement during this "amnesty."

· Registered
202 Posts
No such thing as a good ATF agent.
Cartoon Product Organism Font Line

· Registered
5,295 Posts
Oh I dream of seeing the removing at least the unconstitutional F from that agency. Totally out of control. Only congress can make laws. There so-called rules from AT and unconstitutional F are not laws, and if pressed as the law are in violation of what was supposed to be the SUPREME law of the land.

We should be so lucky to be able to have a rifle that has a barrel of 15.75 inches long and not worry about the stupidity of that quarter of an inch resulting in jail time or worse, the murder of your wife and child!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts