AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was over on another gun forum. I don't think this will go far or change much personally...

During a recent (ongoing) BATFE compliance inspection (I am a licensed Mfr.) the BATF agent(s) involved,unwrapped a new sealed Yugo M92 "krink" kit and insisted that it is a "firearm"...........apparently.......... because the barrel is not welded to the trunion and the chamber is not filled with weld. The agents also then went on to record the "serial number" of every kit I had in stock "because they are firerarms."

They also insisted on examining EVER firearm that is my personal property (not inventory,not for sale and marked as such) that are also stored inside my walk in vault (which,is of course not open to the public).The serial numbers of ALL my personal firearms were recorded. The agents also conducted a search,without a warrant, of the basement of my home.

It would seem, that rifle kits, are now firearms.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/atf-kits-now-firearms-28940/

·
Registered
626 Posts
this surprises him how? the BATF can make up any law they want, since no one wants to challenge them and face the legal harassment that will in sue. its just another case of unsupervised government. :mad:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
There are several tiers of ATF.

The numbnuts that do the inspections at an FFL DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about firearms, by and large. I would repeatedly have to show them where the serial #'s were, the manufacturer, caliber, no, don't point that at me and dry fire it.....etc.

I remember something posted about this a few years ago. Just because one dumbass inspector says that they are firearms does not make it so.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Templar said:
There are several tiers of ATF.

The numbnuts that do the inspections at an FFL DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about firearms, by and large. I would repeatedly have to show them where the serial #'s were, the manufacturer, caliber, no, don't point that at me and dry fire it.....etc.

I remember something posted about this a few years ago. Just because one dumbass inspector says that they are firearms does not make it so.
+1.. My local dealer just went through this. They are more or less 'auditors' NOT agents. When I say auditors I'm talking like accountants. I doubt they would know the difference between a firearm and kit. (10 years ago I probably wouldn't have known the difference). His auditor stayed for 3 days and was very, very nice and helpful. Tagged him on a few things he needs clean up. But all in all - very nice.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I think it is current

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a recent event being discussed.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Your average EBR gun loving guy knows more about the gun laws than your average ATF agent. The simple fact is that particular agent doesn't know what he is talking about.

·
Super Moderator
25,866 Posts
ATF workers need to get certified before they get hired. I"ve always heard that you can recieve different answers from two different agents on the same question. :neutral:

It would make sense to me that they have a written examination every year or so to ensure they stay current with the regs.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
And we know this event is factual how? WE know the BATFE's side of the story how? We know any extenuating circumstances?

Hey, I read it on teh iternet, so it must be true.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Why would you let someone search without a warrent. id tell them to come back when they have oner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had one agent call my Father once, and he told dad I bought an Illegal Machine gun.

Whatever, I bought a de-milled Imbel kit from Interordinance. ATF decided it wasnt cut up right, 2 cuts wasnt good enough?

Whats the deal with calling my father, I hadnt even lived with him in over 10 years at that point...WTF? This all went down 8 or so years ago.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Rasper said:
Why would you let someone search without a warrent. id tell them to come back when they have oner.
they might take that as a sign of guilt. they probally dont like to think you like privacy. :roll:

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
These events are the wave of the future (After Heller) and CCW and private firearms ownership will end in the not too distant future (it will be obvious by the end of Obamas second term and 4th SCOTUS nominations confirmation ../

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
turbothis said:
Rasper said:
they might take that as a sign of guilt. they probally dont like to think you like privacy. :roll:
Isn't it flat-out ILLEGAL to search without a warrent?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Blanco_Diablo said:
turbothis said:
Rasper said:
Isn't it flat-out ILLEGAL to search without a warrent?
the atf man said he has 1 free visit per year any time he likes at the ffl location after that he has to call and ask.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts