AK Rifles banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I am looking for some help for some research I am doing. The Soviets (now Russians) along with their allies (Warsaw Pact, Middle Eastern, etc.) used and continue to use an explosives symbol in the form of a number in a perforated triangle stamp that indicates the cargo category and hazard group. This stamp is usually found on munitions shipping crates or containers, but not on the individual packaging. Understand that this is NOT a factory identification number like those found on Com Bloc firearms; i.e., Chinese Factory 66, Arrow-in-triangle, etc.

I assume this stamp is exactly like our version of the Explosives Hazardous Materials Markings label as mandated by the Department of Transportation. Like them, we have different categories of explosives but, I can easily source what our labels mean --> http://www.hazmatfc.com/Documents/Chart%2014.pdf.

What I know is that the stamp is an "explosives symbol indicating cargo category and hazard group" BUT, what do the numbers themselves mean? I am looking for is a master list (if any) that itemizes these category and hazard group numbers and explains their meanings. Also, I notice that these numbers differ between country. It seems counterproductive for allies to have different numbers for the same product, then export high volumes of this product and usually export to the same places. Though I could be reading these numbers wrong and there might also be the issue of Soviet-era production (Allies) vs. Post-Soviet production (the same players may no longer be allies). Without some context, I am speculating.

I have spent countless hours scouring many forums and the internet. I have poured over documents posted by the UN and been to many of the conflict research sites and have not had any luck. I might not be looking in the right places. I figured with the rich source brilliant minds (not sarcastic) that gather on this great site, I would have at best a good chance of getting this answered or at least be directed to a source that would know.

Thank you for your time.

I have provided examples of this explosives symbol below with information of the container it was found on.

Source: Russian Federation
Contents: Ammunition, 7.62x54R Sniper
Cargo Category and Hazard Group: 450

Source: Russian Federation
Contents: Ammunition, 7.62x39
Cargo Category and Hazard Group: 450

Source: Bulgaria, Factory 10
Contents: Ammunition, 7.62x54R Silver Tip
Cargo Category and Hazard Group: 2

Source: Bulgaria, Factory 11
Contents: Grenades(Rockets), PG-7
Cargo Category and Hazard Group: 33