AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it basically things like stock sets and that's about it?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I guess it depends on where it is coming from, I know mags are a no no with out paper work. I think parts kits are the same way, someone on here was trying to import a single Albanian AK kit a while back using the proper channels, not sure if he ever got it in country.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I think parts kits are the same way, someone on here was trying to import a single Albanian AK kit a while back using the proper channels, not sure if he ever got it in country.
That was me. I eventually got it in after contacting my senator about the ATF first denying my form 6 to import, but it was a long and drawn-out process. I still have to make a thread about the kit and process when I get the chance. My opinion though is don't do it unless you have a really good friend or family to hold onto it on the other end like I did, and you are willing to risk losing the kit or never getting it approved. Too much can go wrong.
FYI, no Russian or Chinese stuff is importable either (basically; technically there is a get around that Stottman could tell you more about) and stock sets are also considered weapons parts. You may sneak it through but even I can see it has gotten a lot tougher from when I brought my first DDR stuff back in 2007.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Whats the context? I assume as an individual without an import permit.

With that, if its not a barrel, bolt, or receiver, you may import up to $100 in value for personal use WITHOUT a permit.

But its not that simple. "Machine gun" parts require a permit regardless.... With the AK, thats where it gets confusing. While we are importing them for semi use, technically, they are a machine gun part.

Also, Customs does not always go along. I have stuff as simple as a wood AK buttstock returned by US Customs.

So, having said that its far easier to just fill out an import permit. Its free.

And Russian stuff? Whole other deal.....Basically, Saiga/Vepr is ok. AK74/RPK is not. When I tried to import Saiga folding stocks (thats what they were sold as), the ATF told me to get bent.... But they must have relaxed in some shape or form, as Kvar/Arsenal does it, and we have the Vepr 1V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts