AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you guys tell me about the Arsenal SSR-74/S?

From what I can gather, they are First run AK-74 Arsenal USA
rifles with a very limited number made.

Are they good rifles? Would you get one if presented the opportunity?

Regards,
IB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
How long did you hold your finger on that mag for the imprint to stay like that??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ak_nut said:
How long did you hold your finger on that mag for the imprint to stay like that??
3 Minutes. :grin:

I wanted something different for an avatar!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,312 Posts
drummerdude1188 said:
I read somewhere that only around 7 were made, where did you see this rifle on ar15.com, the link below just takes me to the EE.
There is handful more than 7 that they made on customer supplied AK-74 kits. Arsenal USA did not have that many AK-74 kits and made the "factory" 7 and a few more on customer kits. The only difference was that customer kits did not get the factory made certificate.

Hootbro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
You mean.... like this one?



I got mine right from the factory... no kit. In fact, I had to send it back & get some BADLY canted sights fixed. No rail on the original gun... I added one (riveted).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is in AKS-74N Configuration. This leaves me wondering if the one I should receive in a week or two is one of the "factory 7", or if it was a customer kit build. I do know that the receiver is a Hungarian FEG 5.45 rec., and that the Bulgy rail is not original to the rifle(screwed in).

Anyways, it will be properly riveted once I receive it/refinished in Gunkote or Moly-Resin over park.

Here are some craptacular pics of it from the ad:








I'll take some gun porn worthy pics when I get it.:neutral:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
I just thought I'd reiterate for anyone who didn't know - Arsenal did not make any rifles bearing the name "SSR". Armory USA/Global Trades/Arsenal USA - not Arsenal Inc. - made them. They called themselves Arsenal USA at one time but had to change their name, presumably at the behest of Arsenal Inc., because of confusion between the two companies, to Armory USA, then to Global Trades. All of their guns were assembled in the USA from parts they imported.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,312 Posts
Exothermia said:
I just thought I'd reiterate for anyone who didn't know - Arsenal did not make any rifles bearing the name "SSR". Armory USA/Global Trades/Arsenal USA - not Arsenal Inc. - made them. They called themselves Arsenal USA at one time but had to change their name, presumably at the behest of Arsenal Inc., because of confusion between the two companies, to Armory USA, then to Global Trades. All of their guns were assembled in the USA from parts they imported.
In the beginning there was Global Trades.

Global Trades decided to build rifles with factory support from Arsenal of Bulgaria. Global started Arsenal USA to build these rifles while still maintaining Global Trades as the parts and import side.

Once K-VAR got exclusive import right to Arsenal of Bulgaria parts, rifles and support, Global Trades/Arsenal USA was shut off from their supply of parts.

Global Trades/Arsenal USA continued to produce rifles on a dwindling supply of parts at the same time K-VAR/Arsenal INC were selling their rifles.

To avoid confusion and separate brand identity from K-VAR/Arsenal INC, Global Trades/ Arsenal USA became Global Trades/Armory USA. K-VAR/Arsenal INC did not legally force this as is assumed by many.

Eventually Global Trades/Armory USA eventually sold out and became Elk River Tool and Die as know today. Ron the former owner of Global Trades/ Armory USA is still doing some kit builds and minor AK parts sales as R.P.G out of Pasadena Texas

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Armory USA SSR742UF....It's my understanding that they made very few of these too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Trotsky said:
You mean.... like this one?



I got mine right from the factory... no kit. In fact, I had to send it back & get some BADLY canted sights fixed. No rail on the original gun... I added one (riveted).
So would I be correct in assuming thats one of the "factory 7"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,054 Posts
IronBalaclava said:
Mine is in AKS-74N Configuration. This leaves me wondering if the one I should receive in a week or two is one of the "factory 7", or if it was a customer kit build. I do know that the receiver is a Hungarian FEG 5.45 rec., and that the Bulgy rail is not original to the rifle(screwed in).

Anyways, it will be properly riveted once I receive it/refinished in Gunkote or Moly-Resin over park.

Here are some craptacular pics of it from the ad:








I'll take some gun porn worthy pics when I get it.:neutral:
Is that factory??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Kalash said:
MKM said:
Armory USA SSR742UF....It's my understanding that they made very few of these too.

Nice variant MKM. I've never seen an UF'ing 74 before. :cool:
That does it! UF 74 is going to the top of my list! That is sweet - how does it shoot in comparison to a 7.62 UF?

Spooky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Spooky130 said:
Kalash said:
MKM said:
Armory USA SSR742UF....It's my understanding that they made very few of these too.

Nice variant MKM. I've never seen an UF'ing 74 before. :cool:
That does it! UF 74 is going to the top of my list! That is sweet - how does it shoot in comparison to a 7.62 UF?

Spooky
It's actually the only underfolder that I really enjoy shooting. It is a solid, well-built rifle with a 1.6mm receiver. I'm suprised that we don't see more 74 undefolders made considering the number of other variations that have been built. If you like underfolders, I would go for it!

As to comments earlier in this thread about numbers of the SSR type rifles, I was told there were only 7 of these made by the guy I bought it from. He claimed to be a personal friend of one of the owners of Global Trades/Armory USA. I have never attempted to verify that, but I can't ever remember seeing another one.

ETA...The gun was new in a serial numbered box from Armory USA like the boxes pictured above, so I know it was a "factory" made gun. The only change I made was adding a Z-recto PG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
You gotta love the early Arsenal USA guns, its finnaly nice to get some more info on some of these rifles other than that one document that everyone has read/recomends when you ask about these rifles. I feel dumb now because when I bought my k101 the seller offerd to sell me an ssr99. I could have made him a deal on both an bought them as a pair, that would have been really cool, but I didnt even know how rare they were, I just wanted a 5.56 ak and I saw it an bought it. To bad it has a scope rail drilled in the side of it. :neutral:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
[quote="MKM]
It's actually the only underfolder that I really enjoy shooting. It is a solid, well-built rifle with a 1.6mm receiver. I'm suprised that we don't see more 74 undefolders made considering the number of other variations that have been built. If you like underfolders, I would go for it!

[/quote]

That was what I thought it would shoot like. I've got a junker 74 kit that I want to mesh with a Polish rear folder to do this - should work nicely on an NDS receiver. I've only ever seen one other 74 underfolder built...

Spooky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
I would like to build a underfolder AK74. I have the parts. Just need to send it to the builder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I received the rifle today. It is indeed a factory rifle.

Now maybe I've been spoiled, but it is nowhere near as nice as my
Inrange built AKS-74N nor my Henderson Defense AKS-74N.:sad:

Granted, it is a used rifle in excellent condition, I just don't dig the dark
grey parkerizing vs. my Moly-coated/Gunkoted AKS-74Ns.
The top cover is a sloppy fit and the gas tube rattles.

The rivet work is also no where near as nice as my other 74s.
The FSE trigger group is Okay.

I am going to either send it to Mario, at POF or Inrange to have it
engraved with Russian selector/indents + trunnion engraving and
a complete refinish.

What is the best way to tighten the up the top cover fit/gas tube fit?

I'm not posting pics 'till this rifle is RIGHT.

Regards,
IB
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top