AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my Arsenal SLR-95 (MILlED receiver with 1 tang) I bought new in 2001 in my closet for the last 19 years...never used until a few months ago when I took an AK Operator's Course in my area.

Been reading a lot, fumbling around trying to understand what I own, and what I can get done to it.

I like the rifle, but I want a TACTICAL weapon. That means (to me), I want ...
  • folding adjustable buttstock with cheek riser if I need it
  • setup for flashlight
  • pistol grip
  • side rail for mounting optic
  • upgrade to fire control group (trigger)
  • better ventilated lower hand guard so I don't feel like my hand is going to melt when I use it
  • 2nd bolt carrier that can be modified with KNS adjustable gas piston...(head space check ?)
(don't want to screw around with the original bolt carrier)
  • backup bolt ?
  • new muzzle break
  • cerakote ?
***AND OF COURSE, 922R COMPLIANT

I've been trying to find a RELIABLE quality gunsmith capable of executing the changes I want, educating me on what is and what isn't feasible (and/or desirable), so that I can proceed with the modifications which make sense that will deliver me a supremely FUNCTIONAL and DURABLE AK. I'm not a collector...although the idea sounds appealing, I have other things to do with my $$$. So this is it folks. Sell it and get something else, or keep it and convert it to what I want.

Your thoughts, guidance, and help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Welcome to the group!

You are not going to like what this long time collector has to say, but I plead the first. :D :D :D

The SLR-95 is a fairly rare, highly valued rifle. And modifications you do to it that alters the original condition will destroy it's value, like drilling the receiver and installing a side mount. Cerakote will also destroy it's value.

Mods you can make that don't hurt value is changing the stock set but keep the old set to again maintain the value of the rifle. Any stock set for a milled AK should fit.

Disclaimer, it is your rifle and you can do as you care, but as a collector I just feel I had to warn you about modifying such a rare AK variant.

Functionally any factory made AK is a highly reliable weapon as well as durable. A milled AK will probably outlast you with just a little care like cleaning and light oiling.

·
Registered
779 Posts
honestly..unless youre in a ban state and its a registered assault weapon..sell it and buy 2 wasr10s or an akusa 103 and tacticalize it. no need to chop up that rifle. wasr is lighter as well
Agreed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the group!

You are not going to like what this long time collector has to say, but I plead the first. :D :D :D

The SLR-95 is a fairly rare, highly valued rifle. And modifications you do to it that alters the original condition will destroy it's value, like drilling the receiver and installing a side mount. Cerakote will also destroy it's value.

Mods you can make that don't hurt value is changing the stock set but keep the old set to again maintain the value of the rifle. Any stock set for a milled AK should fit.

Disclaimer, it is your rifle and you can do as you care, but as a collector I just feel I had to warn you about modifying such a rare AK variant.

Functionally any factory made AK is a highly reliable weapon as well as durable. A milled AK will probably outlast you with just a little care like cleaning and light oiling.
Thankyou for the welcome and your input. BOTH appreciated.

Some more questions if and when your time permits....

1) Presuming what I have reported to you about the condition of my rifle is accurate, with less then 700 rounds fired, what price do you think I could get if I sold it ? Which is best online site(s) to facilitate the sale ?

2) What AK47 would you suggest I replace it with based on my description of what I want ? Price is NOT as important as QUALITY. I am NOT going to be collecting rifles. This is IT for me. I want the best I can get with a budget of up to $3000. Doesn't mean I want to spend $3k, just that I have prepared myself to do so if I can find the rifle I want.

3) Any suggestion(s) for the type of tactical butt stock (foldable, adjustable, cheek riser) I want AND the necessary hardware to use to install it the SLR-95's ONE tang ? I've looked and the best I could come up with is > Magpul CTR Stock Assembly (Mil-Spec) Black #MP2002AP
WHICH ALSO NEEDS > SA-93/SLR-95 SINGLE TANG MILLED RECEIVER M4 STYLE ADAPTR #PK1008
***And am told by owner that the adapter may NOT enable a FLUSH fit with receiver and butt stock
And the magul stock isn't the top of the line like I wanted

4) If you had to choose between AK MASTERMOUNT attachable side rail OR TWS gen 3 dog leg rail, which would you choose for my SLR95 and WHY ? I own a Trijicon TA50-C-400237 (3 x 24, 7.62 x 39) scope that I want to mount.

5) What's your recommendation for replacing DOUBLE HOOK current trigger (fire control group) with USA made UPGRADE ?

6) I found a NEW bolt carrier which I wanted to use with the KNS adjustable gas piston ...https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK47-BOLT-CARRIER-NEW-AC-UNITY-4p7285.htm
***I don't want to screw around with the ORIGINAL bolt carrier & gas piston...would just store it away.
I came to find out that perhaps it might not be a bad idea to do a HEAD SPACE CHECK with a new bolt carrier but local gunsmith said not to worry...tolerances are NOT so tight with AK's so it should work fine....
ANY OPINION ? I don't want to destroy my rifle or die in an explosion.
I asked RTG same question 4 days ago...but never got reply.

7) Also saw some YouTube video that says it might take ordering up to 20 bolts BEFORE you find one that matches and fits like the ORIGINAL bolt ... any opinion about that ? If you have a source for a new (used if necessary) bolt that matches the original bolt in my rifle, please tell me.

Once I have your input, I can try to figure out what makes most sense.

THANK YOU for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
A few observations/suggestions:

• Set aside the idea of modifying the SLR95 and don't think about it again; it will never be what you want to end up with so there's no point in beginning.
  • Keep the SLR95 for what it is or sell it, but if you don't need the cash, make the sell decision after you buy your tactical rifle, you may want both.
  • Collectable AKs are great, but so's a tactical AK that's setup for your preferences, no need to make any apologies here.
  • You have some great tactical AK choices that'll surpass your specs with an "up to $3k" budget, purpose-built (or modified) by one of a few highly respected AK names who specialize in them.
  • Don't spend any money on a rifle - and especially modifications/accessories - until you've got a solid choice nailed down, reviewed by members here.
I'll leave it at that, others can make specific recommendations for what it seems you need - a top-quality, keep-it-simple, plug-and-play, tactically set-up AK carbine. Sort of thing that Krebs and few others are known for.

In response to the following, 3 "don'ts":

"I found a NEW bolt carrier which I wanted to use with the KNS adjustable gas piston ...https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK47-BOLT-CARRIER-NEW-AC-UNITY-4p7285.htm
***I don't want to screw around with the ORIGINAL bolt carrier & gas piston...would just store it away.
I came to find out that perhaps it might not be a bad idea to do a HEAD SPACE CHECK with a new bolt carrier but local gunsmith said not to worry...tolerances are NOT so tight with AK's so it should work fine....
I asked RTG same question 4 days ago...but never got reply."

• Don't let this local gunsmith anywhere near your AK, that's a thoroughly ignorant statement. If you need an AK smith, don't go with anyone local unless they're recommended by others here.
  • Don't make any parts substitutions like this until you've selected the rifle you're purchasing and are more familiar with its operation. You can always do something like this later and some higher-end tactical AK carbines are set up similarly.
  • Don't expect an answer to that question from RTG.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
That sounds like a money pit that you will end up selling at a loss in the future.

A tactical milled AK... ehh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few observations/suggestions:

• Set aside the idea of modifying the SLR95 and don't think about it again; it will never be what you want to end up with so there's no point in beginning.
  • Keep the SLR95 for what it is or sell it, but if you don't need the cash, make the sell decision after you buy your tactical rifle, you may want both.
  • Collectable AKs are great, but so's a tactical AK that's setup for your preferences, no need to make any apologies here.
  • You have some great tactical AK choices that'll surpass your specs with an "up to $3k" budget, purpose-built (or modified) by one of a few highly respected AK names who specialize in them.
  • Don't spend any money on a rifle - and especially modifications/accessories - until you've got a solid choice nailed down, reviewed by members here.
I'll leave it at that, others can make specific recommendations for what it seems you need - a top-quality, keep-it-simple, plug-and-play, tactically set-up AK carbine. Sort of thing that Krebs and few others are known for.

In response to the following, 3 "don'ts":

"I found a NEW bolt carrier which I wanted to use with the KNS adjustable gas piston ...https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK47-BOLT-CARRIER-NEW-AC-UNITY-4p7285.htm
I asked RTG same question 4 days ago...but never got reply."

• Don't let this local gunsmith anywhere near your AK, that's a thoroughly ignorant statement. If you need an AK smith, don't go with anyone local unless they're recommended by others here.
  • Don't make any parts substitutions like this until you've selected the rifle you're purchasing and are more familiar with its operation. You can always do something like this later and some higher-end tactical AK carbines are set up similarly.
  • Don't expect an answer to that question from RTG.
Thank you for input.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I have to agree with one of the earlier posts and recommend a WASR-10. The newer ones are of better quality than some about 10 years ago, plus they come with a side mount for a scope from the factory.

Being a standard European stamped receiver (AKM) there are a zillion available stock sets in the aftermarket.

Being a current production rifle there really wouldn't be the same worries of modifying it as the SLR unless your modifications made it a paper weight. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to agree with one of the earlier posts and recommend a WASR-10. The newer ones are of better quality than some about 10 years ago, plus they come with a side mount for a scope from the factory.

Being a standard European stamped receiver (AKM) there are a zillion available stock sets in the aftermarket.

Being a current production rifle there really wouldn't be the same worries of modifying it as the SLR unless your modifications made it a paper weight. ;)
Thankyou for the input.
Appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hello All.
Here's a rifle (7.62 x. 39) that seems to have the design and functionality I want.
Any and all comments, criticisms, etc., welcome.
Thank you

(M10X TACTICAL)

·
Registered
143 Posts
100% agree with all the others. I do have a Master Mount rail on my SLR-95 that I feel works well for having a side mount without drilling into the receiver. I also added the bottom tang to mine, properly riveted and kept the thumbhole stock. The rifle shoots like a dream as it is. It’s a most pleasurable experience. It’s a wonderful addition for an AK or imported rifle or a military rifle collection, and someone will pay you some decent money for it. It’ll never be a tactical rifle though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMHO,
I'd find a AK gunsmith and have the side rail properly installed on the SLR-95.
Research and Obtain a Russian Optic/Combat Sight calibrated for 7,62/AK103. Then, after many cartridges of training and enjoyment, De-Ban with ComBloc or ComBloc designed US components. The "save the bolt and carrier" idea is unnecessary, by the time you've bought enough ammo to significantly wear them, you paid for another rifle! : )
Yaaaay!
Buy another ComBloc Beauty and spread the wear, like boots. "I can only envy your inevitable success."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts