AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Arsenal SLR-105 A1R and I must say that it is the best AK I've ever owned or seen. I was talking to a lady at Arsenal and I asked when the next round of 5.45 rifles would be available. She told me that Arsenal "wouldn't be doing any more 5.45 rifles." And she added "Ever." I asked why not and she couldn't give me an answer. I told her I had the SLR-105 and she said "Oh,yeah, those were 'military' rifles."
Can anyone tell me what she meant by "Military rifles?" She said it like the SLR-105's were different from the other rifles they have offered in the past.
The things she said had this enigmatic overtone.
Can someone give me the run-down on the SLR-105 series?

·
Banned
150 Posts
so no more 5.45 rifles? was this from Arsenal of Las Vegas or Arsenal of Bulgaria? did she say that the rifles would be FIME or no 5.45 from them period? i really like the 5.45 round, i hope that isn't true. it's not like i don't have a 5.45 rifle, i have 4 but i wouldn't want to see them go away.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was Arsenal in Las Vegas. It was a woman with an American accent, i.e. no accent. It wasn't one of the "rude Bulgarians" that I had talked to in the past. And by the way, it must have been nearly a year ago right after the "Newtown craze" when I talked to her. I was researching for a new 5.45 rifle before Obama and the gang could strip our right to have these wonderful weapons. Thank god the Republicans in the House of Representatives put a stop to that.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'm sure she meant that there would be no more SLR series rifles in 5.45. SGLs should still be in good supply for the foreseeable future unless shits suddenly turns ugly with Russia.
Actually, Bulgaria is moving away from stamped AKs altogether, so you better scour the net for any stamped Bulgarian rifles you may want NOW, before they become "rare".

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She said "no more 5.45 rifles period" from Arsenal Inc in Las Vegas. And that was a year ago. Does anyone know what is going on with the Arsenal-FIME-Ishmash-Ishvek-Kalashnikov Concern axis? Wonder what will be available in the future?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
She said "no more 5.45 rifles period" from Arsenal Inc in Las Vegas. And that was a year ago. Does anyone know what is going on with the Arsenal-FIME-Ishmash-Ishvek-Kalashnikov Concern axis? Wonder what will be available in the future?

Well, KVAR had SGL31s and SGL-31 side folders less than a year ago so you must of misheard her. I should know, I bought a side folder. Also, Arsenal of Bulgaria stopped making the SLR-105 for import a long time ago and I'm positive that's what she meant. I've read a post a little while ago from a KVAR rep saying there will be more SGL rifles, just not anytime soon.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They may have had 5.45 rifles in stock at the time, but the woman rather matter-of-factly told me there would be "no more 5.45 rifles offered by Arsenal."

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As stated above, Arsenal Las Vegas stopped offering SLR-105's a long time ago, and will probably never offer them again as the lady stated. Much of what they offer is based on what Arsenal of Bulgaria offers in military form. Providing that Bulgaria went NATO a while back, they pretty much dropped production of 5.45 rifles for 5.56 rifles. If you want another 5.45 rifle, a Russian SGL-31 would be an excellent choice. A bit less refined than the SLR-105, but still a fine rifle. I own an SGL-31 dressed in Russian laminate myself. Variety is good...!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
And yet....Arsenal sells a few 104 series guns (5.45) a few weeks ago.

ETA: Not AK104 style, but SLR-104 (FR,CR,UR) in 5.45.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Where did you see those? I've been kind of watching out for a 5.45 SLR.
K-VAR posted it on the Akfiles (in their subforum). I'm just learning about it as well. ETA: Looks like it was almost a month ago.

SLR104
In 2004, Arsenal Inc began their work with the SLR series rifles. The first was the famous SLR105 with its fixed stock. In 2005 Arsenal began the importation and planned production of side folding models SLR104, SLR106, SLR107 and SLR108 series of rifles. The SLR104 series of 5.45x39 caliber rifles were imported but never put into full scale. The limited production of this firearm included only 5 of each SLR-104FR, SLR-104CR, and SLR-104UR models. Additionally, the SLR-104UR models have been turned into factory made Short Barrel Rifles (SBR).

Each of these rare rifles has been serialized with numbers 1 through 15, and we are excited to announce the release of these rare firearms for public purchase. The first two serial numbers of each type, numbers 1,2,6,7,11,12 are reserved for the private Arsenal Museum. Listed below are the serial numbers and the prices for each.

SLR104FR Serial #s 3,4,5 $1599 ea Serial # 4 is sold
SLR104CR Serial #s 8,9,10 $1799 ea Serial # 10 is sold
SLR104UR Serial #s 13,14,15 $2499 ea

·
Registered
238 Posts
K-VAR posted it on the Akfiles (in their subforum). I'm just learning about it as well. ETA: Looks like it was almost a month ago.

SLR104
In 2004, Arsenal Inc began their work with the SLR series rifles. The first was the famous SLR105 with its fixed stock. In 2005 Arsenal began the importation and planned production of side folding models SLR104, SLR106, SLR107 and SLR108 series of rifles. The SLR104 series of 5.45x39 caliber rifles were imported but never put into full scale. The limited production of this firearm included only 5 of each SLR-104FR, SLR-104CR, and SLR-104UR models. Additionally, the SLR-104UR models have been turned into factory made Short Barrel Rifles (SBR).

Each of these rare rifles has been serialized with numbers 1 through 15, and we are excited to announce the release of these rare firearms for public purchase. The first two serial numbers of each type, numbers 1,2,6,7,11,12 are reserved for the private Arsenal Museum. Listed below are the serial numbers and the prices for each.

SLR104FR Serial #s 3,4,5 $1599 ea Serial # 4 is sold
SLR104CR Serial #s 8,9,10 $1799 ea Serial # 10 is sold
SLR104UR Serial #s 13,14,15 $2499 ea
The CR is the one I'd likely be most interested in, but since these apparently were a very limited number - and at an $1800 price point to boot - I'll have to stick with the older Romanian imports. I'd almost feel bad about shooting one of those; looks like more of a collector's item than something I'd want to use. Maybe someone local will cough up a 105 at a reasonable price at some point (and at a time I have some spare cash).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cz,
That's good info you provided. Sounds like the last gasp for 5.45 from Arsenal. Selling off the prototypes. It is sad that these might be the last of the wonderful 5.45's from Arsenal.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
kvar sure says a lot. they said the bulgy 223 krink pistols wont ever be imported again and now theve got em with new muzzle brakes and standard barrels in no time at all flat so they knew they had more when they sat in customs...they told you on phone no more slr105s now they call em a slr104 and instock in bulk as of last week or 2. I could elaborate on other stories but ill stop there. its big fish eats the little fish marketing apparently. they tell their dealers one thing then turn around and do another which makes everyone look bad not just them. take anything they say with a grain of salt as the saying goes.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Never believe K-vars hype about "last production run", or other crap. They lie.

The fact that they made the AKS74U clones tells you that they can produce and import the SLR105 again if they wanted to.

Yeah, still butthurt about the "only 300 and thats it" run of Russian AK74s....Two months later, more of them for $300 less.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
Never believe K-vars hype about "last production run", or other crap. They lie.

The fact that they made the AKS74U clones tells you that they can produce and import the SLR105 again if they wanted to.

Yeah, still butthurt about the "only 300 and thats it" run of Russian AK74s....Two months later, more of them for $300 less.
Your comment along with no "limited time pricing" on this new release makes me think a reduced price is coming soon. Honesty and non manipulation of your customer base is always the best
and most profitable business model to follow. I will just wait this one out and see what happens next.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good points guys. I've known about them pulling these tricks. I've been out of the game for a long time and have swallowed the bait.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone remember the ad where you could buy an SLR105 for $388 in Shotgun news? It lasted one issue and Arsenal threw a fit and the next thing you know the price went WAY up. It was a company called "FAC" or "RAC" or something like that. They were up in Wisconsin or Minnesota, the way I remember. That was 2005 or 2006. It just goes to show what these guns could be sold for. In todays economy and considering the value of the dollar, there is no reason why we couldn't be buying a Bulgy '74 in our local gun shops for $700 all day long instead of this $1200-plus nonsense.
Hell, I can walk into my local Walmart and pick up an AR-15 for $700 right now.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Plus they have a habit of introducing a new, better model later. How many people bought the fixed stock models to convert to side stock, only to have kvar sell a folder 6 months later? And for less then the cost of parts.

I have four of the fixed stock ones. I like them. Added a sidefolder Arsenal and Izhevsk to the lineup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts