AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all those out there with a SLR-105A1. Is your dust cover wider than a normal ak-74 dust cover?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
not that i have noticed

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put mine up side by side to ak-74 dust cover and mine is wider and I cannot get a regular dust cover to fit on mine.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's a standard '74 dust cover...

MANY folks (including me) will tweak the lips (bottom portion of the cover) wider to avoid scraping the upper portion of the receiver. If the lips of your new dustcover are tighter? Not much surprise.

A new dust cover can be adjusted by noting the tightest area (usually toward the very rear), PADDING a pair of pliers, then gently bending outward on the lip - each side about the same. Work around the entire lip area as you see a new ultra-tight spot, and don't make it TOO loose -go slowly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trotsky! That was it! I slowly worked out the lips of the dust cover and with a little filing of the front to shorten the overall lengh just a tiny bit it fits perfect.

Now I can use that matching bolt carrier/dust cover that I bought from kvar for $45 and preserve the finish on the original dust cover/bolt carrier if decide to sell the rifle later.

Thanks, I Appreciate it!

·
Registered
382 Posts
The dust cover does not get knicked when ejecting cases like their milled brother's do ( I have no idea why)........

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Glad that I was of help FokkerSF :) For reference? You have just about the BEST '74 ever produced :) Please, never sell it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts