AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member here in the planning stages of a project to convert my Arsenal SAM7k-03 pistol into a rifle. My state does not allow SBRs so I will need to add a 16" barrel to the pistol during phase 1 of the project (which also includes replacing the non-threaded front sight / gas block with a threaded front sight / gas block). I will then add a fake PBS-5 suppressor to hide the protruding barrel for a more authentic look. I've already procured the threaded gas block but have been struggling with determining which barrel would work for this build.

Many people have suggested that I just permanently attach the fake suppressor to the gas block and then permanently attach the gas block to the barrel. My state is hyper progressive and I'd be worried that anti-gun LEO or DA would decide to charge me with possession of an SBR as the barrel extension would not technically be pinned and welded directly to the barrel, rather it would be permanently attached to the front sight / gas block, which in turn was permanently attached to the barrel. Malicious firearm prosecutions are relatively common in my state so I'd rather be safe than sorry and just avoid the problem completely (considering it would only cost me about ~$200 plus labor). Many have also asked me why I don't just buy a rifle in this configuration - answer is simple, you can't in CA. The only other viable option would be for me to build a net new rifle from parts.

With that our of the way my questions is regarding compatibility of 7.62X39mm barrels with the milled Bulgarian receiver. I emailed KVAR and asked them if they could point me in the right direction for a 16" barrel that would fit the pistol and they responded with the following:

A AK-601 barrel will fit your SAM7 receiver and we do have them in stock. I would recommend that you avoid any barrel that has "classic" in its description as they tend to have a thicker cross-section and may cause additional problems.
Link to the AK-601 barrel KVAR's technical team suggested
Link to SAM7K-03 Pistol for reference purposes

I'm hoping for validation from forum members that this is in fact the right way to go. Having never built an AK, I wanted to make sure that the barrel profile would accommodate the Krinkov style front end (regarding the handguards, handguard retainer cup/clamp, and front sight / gas block location) as the description implies the barrel is intended for standard AK builds which would have longer handguards, etc. Can anyone validate this for me? Or does, anyone have alternate suggestions or know of a barrel that would work for this conversion?

Safe harbor statement: I'm in the planning phases of this project and understand the clear path to building a rifle from a pistol. I'd make sure that the 16" barrel is installed and 922r parts have been added prior to doing any of the necessary machine work for adding a stock. I have found "how to" threads for adding a stock to this pistol so that project problem has been solved in theory - I'll be sure to make the machining and adding the stock the very last thing I do during the conversion project (with all steps verified by trusted subject matter experts to be in accordance with Federal and State Law).

·
Technical Advisor
15,836 Posts
You can use a blind pin that goes through the PBS 5 and the FSB and into the barrel. The in is welded over. This satisfies ATF regs.
A re-barrel will be $350-$450 more vs the blind pin extension

1 - 2 of 2 Posts