AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Arsenal SA M-7 A1 in 7.62x39 on the way from my armorer and I would like to put a slant muzzle brake on it. The muzzle brake that it comes with looks like a long bodied birdcage-type and I am assuming that I can exchange them with no problem by simply depressing the detent on the front sight body, removing the brake and replacing it with the slant muzzle brake.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, guys.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help offered.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
You CANNOT put a standard slant brake on an A1 because the threads are 100% different. The A1 uses the right hand 24mm threads on the AK74 style front sight block; most slant brakes (other than US made) are for a 14x1mm LEFT hand thread.

Here's an idea:

You can buy a 24mm muzzle nut for the A1. Why couldn't you weld a slant brake to that? It might take some fabrication to neck the muzzle nut down to the size of the slant brake, but it might work. The look won't be 100% authentic, but it might be a workable solution.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Zane.

You bring up an interesting point.

Do you think that there are U.S. made slant brakes threaded for 24mm RH ?

I take it that I am otherwise correct in my statement regarding the removal and replacement of the muzzle brake assembly by depressing the detent on the front sight body?

I apologize for all the goofy newbie questions as this is my first Arsenal AK.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
THUNDERKISS said:
Thanks for the info, Zane.

You bring up an interesting point.

Do you think that there are U.S. made slant brakes threaded for 24mm RH ?

I take it that I am otherwise correct in my statement regarding the removal and replacement of the muzzle brake assembly by depressing the detent on the front sight body?

I apologize for all the goofy newbie questions as this is my first Arsenal AK.
There are no goofy questions, dude. :smile:

To my knowledge, no one makes a 24 mm slant brake.

Yes, to remove any AK muzzle attachment you just press in on the plunger and unscrew it. 24mm threads are right handed; 14mm threads are left-handed.

Some US brakes use a right handed thread that bears no relation to how the original AK brakes are threaded, so be careful with US made muzzle attachments.

Basically, your SA M7 A1 will use any muzzle attachment with 24mm threads, but be careful to make sure the bore size is large enough for 7.62x39mm.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, Zane, you have cleared up things for me considerably in your answer.

You da man !!! :smile:

Additional edit: Just got word that my SA M-7 A1 will arrive by next Monday. I'll let you know how it all worked out as I found some AK-74 style muzzle brakes that are 24mmx1.5 rh threaded.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
THUNDERKISS,

Do NOT replace that flash suppressor with an AK74 brake. Blasphemy! :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blasphemy, huh? :shock:

OK, I'm listening.......always open to suggestions re: authenticity of my rifles. Tell me what you think. Seen pics of your rifles elsewhere on this site, they are nice so I figure you know what you are talking about.

Of course, I can't guarantee that I won't blaspheme again :twisted: but, I'll try not to. :smile:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
THUNDERKISS said:
Blasphemy, huh? :shock:

OK, I'm listening.......always open to suggestions re: authenticity of my rifles. Tell me what you think. Seen pics of your rifles elsewhere on this site, they are nice so I figure you know what you are talking about.

Of course, I can't guarantee that I won't blaspheme again :twisted: but, I'll try not to. :smile:
Brother, do what you want! I'm just kidding with you. This is definitely a topic that stirs much debate, however:

I've found that in the AK world, many owners are "purists." To place an AK74 styled brake on a 7.62x39 weapon is just plain wrong. "Blasphemy" as they call it. The aforementioned brake belongs on AK74s...not AK-47s, AKMs or other .30 caliber variants.

In fact, the only weapon I've ever seen chambered in 7.62x39 that is not frowned upon for having an AK74 styled brake, is the AK-103.

The flash suppressor you are getting is more than adequate for your needs, IMO. It plays a dual role; flash suppression and muzzle control...almost as effective as a brake. That's the real beauty of effective flash suppressors/hiders. I have one similar on my Arsenal SA M-7 Carbine and love it.

Besides, it retains that "Bulgarian" look.

I find that most AK owners like the slant brake on their AKMs or AKMS configurations. Slant brakes look great on Arsenal rifles as well, again, IMO. However, I especially like the look of the Bulgy flash suppressor on Arsenal products. Specifically the SA M-5, SA M-7A1, Carbine and SAS M-7.

Other members here may have a different opinion.

Hope this helps you.

Bud

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Thunderkiss, the guys pretty much got you straight already.

There are adapters to take the olders tyle 14/1mm LH threads to 24mm RH threads, but not the other way, as far as I know anyway.

Nothing wrong with using an AK-74 style brake on your rifle if that's what you want to do, but make damn sure that it's for a .30 cal rather than a .22 cal projectile, or bad things man, bad things.......I believe KRebs and AK-USA both make .30 cal AK-103 style brakes.

The Bulgarian long flash suppressors are actually fairly highly sought, so if you decide to get rid of it (and I wouldn't), you won't have any problem doing so.

Enjoy your new toy! :twisted:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I know why I joined this forum !!

Zane Zackerly, Bachelor of Science, Templar, thanks for your forthrightness in your answers to me. I could never, ever take what you are saying for other than what you all are offering to me. And I really appreciate it. Afterall, I have asked the questions and you have done as I have asked. You answered them truthfully. What more could I ask?

I, too, am a purist in the sense that I'd like to keep the AK's that I get totally spec. Although I do have the KCI brake enroute, I do not know all that there is about every variant of AK, and I will keep it "bulgy" and maybe the KCI brake will come in handy later on, 'cause you know I'm gonna have to buy another AK, right? :grin:

Yep, I am hooked. Got AK fever. :razz:

BTW, Bud, sweet SA M7 Carbine !! Maybe I'll try to find one of those next.

Templar, read in other section of this forum your remarks regarding finish durability of the M5/M7 series vs. SLR series in solvents. That kinda eased my concerns as I have heard horror stories about Arsenals' finish melting away under attack of various solvents. Guess if something goes really bad I can also get refinished, too.

Thanks for the education, guys. I am always up to hear more, too.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I say the joy of a threaded muzzle or front sight base is that you can switch back and forth between muzzle fittings whenever you want.

The muzzle nut is the only thing "authentic" to the SA M7 Carbine, yet all of mine permanently wear the slant brake. If I want mine to be "authentic" to the Bulgarian model AR in use by the Iraqi National Guard, I'll switch back to the muzzle nut. It takes less than a minute.

One of my Carbines has also been known to wear an M-16 style flash hider. HORRORS!

I like both the long flash hider and the Krebs muzzle brake for my SA M7A1. I like the brake to give it that "AK103" look, and I like the flash hider for SHTF.

To my mind, the whole reason to own a "no ban" weapon is that you can switch muzzle attachments.

Just a thought. :grin:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HERETIC !! HERETIC !! Even I know never to commit such a heinous act !! :grin:

Yeah, I see and agree with your point, ZZ. In a word, happiness is proportonal to your options, huh?

Now that I know what is spec. for my rifle and what isn't, having the optons to switch readily is realy nice to have. I am quickly becoming a fan of the SA M7 A1.

Now I am debating whether or not to install a WARSAW pact buttstock.

So many accessories, so little money. :smile:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Your last sentence says it all! Install the WARSAW Pact buttstock. You'll love it.

Bud

1 - 14 of 14 Posts