AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum,but I have been coming here and reading for some time.My problem is this,I received an Arsenal SA-93(milled)when my brother died.It has been sitting and I finally took it out and found out what I had.My question is,how can you tell if it is 922r compliant,and does it have to be?Also,is there a way to find out when it was made? Thanks To All

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
If it's stock Arsenal, then it should be 922r already. You have to comply when it has a pistol grip, folding stock, mag over 10 rounds, or several other "evil" features. You just have to keep the foreign part count to 10 or less, so most AK's need 6 US parts unless you don't have a muzzle device which brings it down to 5 US parts needed. Check the furniture, fcg, muzzle device and look for USA or Made in USA on them.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Parts count only is for someone doing a conversion or making a new long gun or importing a long gun. You as a new owner would not have to worry about the parts count unless you intend to change something on the firearm that would alter it's configuration.

Milled AK variants with a threaded muzzle have 15 countable parts. As stated above, you can only have 10 imported parts if you change configurations.

Check the ATF website, eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

The old "922(r)" was rewritten as Title 27 CFR Part 478.39

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The SA-93 in original form is a 100% Bulgarian-made rifle. As stated above, 922r would only come into play is converting it from original thumbhole stock for to military pistol grip form. Typically, a stamped receiver AK requires (6) US-made parts, while a milled AK requires (5) US-made parts. There is some info on this particular rifle in one of the tac threads entitles "Bulgarian Milled Imports"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info.Being new to the AK family,it is hard to know the in's and out's of ownership.What kind of weapon is this?What I mean is,is it well made,accurate?Again,thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You can rest assured that a factory-built Milled Bulgarian AK, is at the top of the food chain in terms of quality, construction, and accuracy. There are a few other AK's from other countries that may be equal, but I don't think there is anything better. And I'm saying that as an owner of AK's from various countries, so I'm not bias.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The SA93 rifles have a reputation for being one of the best milled AKs imported into the states. Here is a source that can help you get familiar with 922r parts count for AKs: Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds. Keep in mind the SA93 is a milled receiver rifle when using the check list.

The best way to modify the rifle to a more traditional looking configuration is to install a US made FCG (Fire control group) (three parts) and a US made pistol grip (one part). To attain the last part, the easiest alternative is to change the butt-stock or else the front hand guard to a US made part.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If the barrel on your SA93 is not threaded all you need is 4 US parts if you deban it. FCG (3) and pistol grip is all you need. If you thread the barrel you need 5 parts, so you can add a US made barrel nut.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
CORRECTION: SA93 is AK47 T3 pattern etc.,

The SLR93/95 is a thumbhole stocked milled receiver AK.
They are built in the late configuration of Bulgarian milled AK style. They have the 90 degree gas block and neutered bayonet lugs and cleaning rod detents.
The barrel is AKM/AK74 diameter from the handguard retainer forward vs the older milled AK47 pattern.
They are high quality firearms., the paint finish is pretty non durable however and will not stand up to some solvents.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
They are built in the late configuration of Bulgarian milled AK style.
They have the 90 degree gas block and neutered bayonet lugs and cleaning rod detents.
The barrel is AKM/AK74 diameter from the handguard retainer forward vs the older milled AK47 pattern.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "late configuration". To my understanding, they are early Type 3 style
The gas block is also earlier 45 degree style, rather than later 90 degree style.
And I'm not sure about the exact barrel thickness, but am pretty sure they have the thicker T3 barrels.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "late configuration". To my understanding, they are early Type 3 style
The gas block is also earlier 45 degree style, rather than later 90 degree style.
And I'm not sure about the exact barrel thickness, but am pretty sure they have the thicker T3 barrels.
My bad., you are correct. I was brain dead for the moment. SLR series vs SA. You are correct. AK47 pattern barrel pattern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The SA93 rifles have a reputation for being one of the best milled AKs imported into the states. Here is a source that can help you get familiar with 922r parts count for AKs: Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds. Keep in mind the SA93 is a milled receiver rifle when using the check list.

The best way to modify the rifle to a more traditional looking configuration is to install a US made FCG (Fire control group) (three parts) and a US made pistol grip (one part). To attain the last part, the easiest alternative is to change the butt-stock or else the front hand guard to a US made part.
Per Arsenal:

"The SA M7 is equipped with seven U.S. made parts: The receiver, hammer, disconnector, trigger, upper & lower handguards, pistol grip, & buttstock. You need a minimum of five U. S. made parts in order to be 922r compliant."

The SA93 is also US made receiver (which includes trunnion), fire control and furniture.

So as long as the replacement furniture is also US, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts