AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few questions lately regarding the marks on the buttstocks of AKM's. So, in the place of a previous post that showed some great information on these, here's a photo showing two different marks - a square with a diagonal line inside running top left to bottom right corner; and a square with a line running vertically through it from the top center to the bottom center:


 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
The mark with a vertical line means the gun has had its furiture replaced and the diagonal line means it has had a metal part replaced or it has been refinished, not sure on the latter though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,507 Posts
Here you can see the same rebuild mark stamped on the receiver.

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,310 Posts
Diagonal line in a square is a Ukrainian depot/refurbishment mark. Is also used on new replacement spare stocks.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,507 Posts
Hootbro said:
Diagonal line in a square is a Ukrainian depot/refurbishment mark. Is also used on new replacement spare stocks.

Are the replacement stocks also Ukrainian made, if so does this explain the strange finish on some of these stocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
I always thought that the box was a refurb/replacement mark with the diagonal line was Tula and the bisected box was Izhevsk.

This was from looking over lots of Russian SKS's back 15 years ago.
The marks were only on the obvious refurb rifles.
It seems as though all the Tula SKS's had the diagonal box and all the Izhevsk were bisected box.


The mark with a vertical line means the gun has had its furiture replaced and the diagonal line means it has had a metal part replaced or it has been refinished, not sure on the latter though.
I dont think this works as every one of the wood pieces I have had with both types of marks were unused(unfitted/undrilled).
If the diagonal line was for metal work, then why woudl they stamp an unused butt? It makes more sense to mark the receiver like in Jerry's '63 AKM pic.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,310 Posts
jithaca said:
Are the replacement stocks also Ukrainian made, if so does this explain the strange finish on some of these stocks?
I could not speculate either way. Could have been stocks made local or shipped from one the main AK factories.

The Soviet production system of goods both defense related and commercial related was based on a "push'" economic model. In other words, higher up economic planners made decisions that local factories had to source materials that was given to them many times even it was not the most economical.

As far as the "strange finish", that could be just like anything else with many factors involved. Some could be just variance in the different lots of varnish/shellac and if it was a drunken Monday at the factory/arsenal. Standard Soviet work week was 6 days with 10+ hours per day many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great discussion - this might be a good question for our newest member in Russia, "Ptica," to investigate for us. He provided some spectacular photos through Jerry a few days ago. :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
What this board really needs is an old timer who used to work at the Ishevsk arms plant... only when the moon and planets line up and Jimmy Hoffa appears on Good Morning America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,965 Posts
Z_recto said:
I always thought that the box was a refurb/replacement mark with the diagonal line was Tula and the bisected box was Izhevsk.

This was from looking over lots of Russian SKS's back 15 years ago.
The marks were only on the obvious refurb rifles.
It seems as though all the Tula SKS's had the diagonal box and all the Izhevsk were bisected box.


The mark with a vertical line means the gun has had its furiture replaced and the diagonal line means it has had a metal part replaced or it has been refinished, not sure on the latter though.
I dont think this works as every one of the wood pieces I have had with both types of marks were unused(unfitted/undrilled).
If the diagonal line was for metal work, then why woudl they stamp an unused butt? It makes more sense to mark the receiver like in Jerry's '63 AKM pic.
I have a diagonal lined box on my Tula M91/30 if that is any help to your guess at the arsenal differentiation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Bread is People said:
What this board really needs is an old timer who used to work at the Ishevsk arms plant... only when the moon and planets line up and Jimmy Hoffa appears on Good Morning America.
Jimmy Hoffa lives. I remember Levi5.45 saying he worked at the Izhevsk factory...he even recalled his worker number.

Levi5.45 said:
I used to work at the izhmash factory guys... I think Id know. I was worker 14392, thats obviously proof otherwise how would I know my work number????
The fact is though that we are concerned about levels of detail that few if anyone at Izhevsk was ever thinking about. Until we have MTK posting here I doubt we'll have any closure on alot of these topics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,507 Posts
At least 5 holes
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Z_recto said:
I always thought that the box was a refurb/replacement mark with the diagonal line was Tula and the bisected box was Izhevsk.

This was from looking over lots of Russian SKS's back 15 years ago.
The marks were only on the obvious refurb rifles.
It seems as though all the Tula SKS's had the diagonal box and all the Izhevsk were bisected box.


The mark with a vertical line means the gun has had its furiture replaced and the diagonal line means it has had a metal part replaced or it has been refinished, not sure on the latter though.
I dont think this works as every one of the wood pieces I have had with both types of marks were unused(unfitted/undrilled).
If the diagonal line was for metal work, then why woudl they stamp an unused butt? It makes more sense to mark the receiver like in Jerry's '63 AKM pic.
The above seems to be case for select Nagants as well:

the box was a refurb/replacement mark with the diagonal line was Tula and the bisected box was Izhevsk.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top