AK Rifles banner

arsenal mark ID needed - *pic

1K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Stottman 
#1 ·

As some of you know, been tryin' to figure out the origin of a barrel I have. Well, took it to the gunshop with me to show a friend and his buddy spotted the mark. Me, I had never noticed it, though it's been there right in front of my eyes all along.

Check out the attached pic and see whatcha think.

"a crown" over the letters "BNP"

eta 1: Hmm, googled and found it's probably the "Birmingham House" proof mark. What in hades is a British proof mark doin' on a barrel made for a Russian weapon?

more pics of the barrel can be seen here:
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59076

thanks,

t

See less See more
#2 ·
I think too little information has been provided (model/type/year of weapon, etc.) to make an accurate statement. But from the single photo provided, it appears to be the British "Birmingham Nitro Proof" stamp.

Not 100% sure of the weapon that barrel belongs to but I'd say if it's a recent Russian weapon with its marketting focus being its a "all Russian," perhaps a little secret has been revealed about their business practices. Guess that Russian company was not above having to quietly contract-out to an overseas company for parts to make those commercial sales. Makes you wonder what else they might be passing-off as "original Russian factory" or "Russian-made." :lol:

But just an observation and $.02 from the info at hand.

#3 ·
Actually, it's that barrel I've been tryin' to ID for quite some time now. Bought it off Gunbroker as a 26" fluted 308 barrel.

I got it with intentions of usin' it in a standard Saiga 308. Ya run across any other info I'd sure appreciate hearin' it.

t

#8 ·
rayman1 said:
Either the Russian company contracted-out and misrepresent their guns or someone went to a lot of trouble to take a British-made barrel and re-chamber it for .308 (if it's in .308).
Yep, it's 308. Sure wasn't lookin' forward to a 303 Saiga LOL!

thanks for the input ,

t

#11 ·
I've mentioned it before, first impression was that it's American Made by a custom barrel shop but always had a feelin' this was some type of snazzy setup from some secret VEPR or sumthin' (hey, I can dream huh?).

Lookin' at it now though, I have no clue and am right back where I started.

:grin:

t

#13 ·
It's my understanding that "nitro proof" stamps date back to the transition from black powder to smokeless powder. To help prevent the new powder being used in a barrel that can not handle it.

I would have expected this mark to appear on older barrels. Maybe this is an old barrel blank that was custom fit to a Saiga.

Do any barrels made in the last 30-40 years have any stamps like this? I have a late 1930s ppk with a nitro proof stamp. .....edit, ..... I see the reference to the Hungarian example now. interesting. a relatively modern barrel with a nitro proof mark.

#15 ·
bamaak said:
It's my understanding that "nitro proof" stamps date back to the transition from black powder to smokeless powder. To help prevent the new powder being used in a barrel that can not handle it.

I would have expected this mark to appear on older barrels. Maybe this is an old barrel blank that was custom fit to a Saiga.

Do any barrels made in the last 30-40 years have any stamps like this? I have a late 1930s ppk with a nitro proof stamp. .....edit, ..... I see the reference to the Hungarian example now. interesting. a relatively modern barrel with a nitro proof mark.
Any firearm going through britain will have that mark.

#16 ·
I'm convinced it's a custom job. The .308 caliber and two holes for the front sight tell me it's a Parker-Hale .308 barrel that somebody inverted and drilled a gas port in. Quite alot of work, someone is very talented. I wonder how it shot...not good enough I guess.... :neutral:

#18 ·
i also think this is someones project and my vote is also on parker and hale. if you look at the picture, the circular groves around the rear of the barrel where it go's in the trunnion. these are what are left of the threads they turned off to fit it to the new rifle. the mark is indeed the nitro proof mark of birmingham. i say build it on a saiga and see what happens. it'll look kool if nothing else and could be a good shooter.

#22 ·
The " BNP" proof on British barrels (or at least barrels that have been through the England/British safety "approval" process) is pretty much the equivalant of the German "eagle/N" - it's a firing proof...

#23 ·
Stottman said:
Those weird fat bull barrels are pretty much an American thing.. I have not seen them anywhere else.

do a search on sniper rifles including parker&hale and accuracy international, i think you'll find the heavy barrel finds it's way onto alot of tactical weapons outside the u.s..

#24 ·
fullautotogo said:
do a search on sniper rifles including parker&hale and accuracy international, i think you'll find the heavy barrel finds it's way onto alot of tactical weapons outside the u.s..

Since the subject of Parker Hale was brought up by SteveM, I did some googlin' and ran across barrels with 30+", mostly bolt-action setups from mild to wild.

He also brought up that point of why would it be orphaned...hopefully when a few things blow over on the homefront I can proceed with this project and maybe we'll find the reason.

:grin:

t

#25 ·
Trueno, it looks like some people helped you figure out that mystery marking. However I would like to confirm that any barrel imported into Britain needs to have a firing proof on it. Firing proofs are common on all European made barrels but if there is not one present at time of import then Her Majesties Customs and Excise will have it proofed before allowing it to enter the country.

That marking shows history and not necessarily manufacture.

Deros

#26 ·
Deros said:
Trueno, it looks like some people helped you figure out that mystery marking. However I would like to confirm that any barrel imported into Britain needs to have a firing proof on it. Firing proofs are common on all European made barrels but if there is not one present at time of import then Her Majesties Customs and Excise will have it proofed before allowing it to enter the country.

That marking shows history and not necessarily manufacture.

Deros

Whoa, I did not know that, many thanks for the education!

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.