AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AR15 is light, handles easily, and is a dream to shoot?.when it shoots. I?m getting tired of always second-guessing whether it?s going to hiccup with the particular ammo being used, and depending on how dirty it is, what the weather is doing, etc. Earlier post of rifle match debacle here:

http://akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15063#15063

My AK47 (Arsenal Inc. SA M7S) has never had a single failure of any kind, after uncounted thousands of rounds, and usually with at-least some if not a lot of crud. The on-going scarcity of 7.62x39 ammo is troubling though, especially considering current events in the global context. I could have stock-piled better, but I want to continue to shoot too, so both having and getting ammo is important. I?ll grant in favor of the AR that 5.56 is still everywhere by comparison, if not always in the most desirable brand/configuration (which of course the AR is finicky about).

Enter the prospect of the Arsenal Inc. SA M5. Reliability of an AK with the ammo availability of the AR. Brand/configuration of ammo would no longer be an issue either. At least that?s the theory.

Although there are other makers of 5.56 AK?s, I?ve owned one other Arsenal (the underfolding SAS M7) and have examined several more, and am convinced of that company?s commitment to quality. Also like that they?re made-n-?Mercuh!

I?d like to hear from anyone familiar with the SA M5. Is the reliability up to the legendary AK snuff?

Although this model is milled, I think stamped might be a good choice in a 5.56. Are there any prospects of Arsenal Inc. making a stamped 5.56?

Of course, the other option is to just hold-on to the SA M7S and hope that the ammo market returns to normalcy.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Randy, the M5 is just as reliable as any other Arsenal AK as long as you use the proper Bulgarian waffle pattern magazines. Trying to use converted AK-74 magazines often just gives you problems.

I'd call Armalite and talk to them, you have a lifetime warranty on your rifle and I'd use it.

Having said that, I think you need a M5S too...................... :twisted:

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are wondering whether your AR is going to shoot you have a problem. Ive shot over 800rds of Wolf out of my Bushmaster A4 in 4 hours and not had anything but 100% reliability, then without cleaning put another 200 rds through it in the next couple weeks to finish off the case.

G

·
The ARsenal SA-M5 is the best Ak ever made. It is so good all other AK's wish they could be converted to .223. The 7.62 and 5.45 are dead calibers used only by third world countries without much of a future. They all lack the vision needed for fire superiority. :hail: MV out!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
the Arsenal SA-M5,...

it is an absolutely beautiful rifle,...reliability is not as issue what so ever,..it is after all a AK made by Arsenal. it will shoot any kind of 5.56 ammo you feed it with out question,..and because it is a milled rifle,..it is a pound or two heavier that a ar,..which is a good thing,..this extra weight shows its self in a better balence,..a lighter, more controlable recoil, with very quick follow up's,...and a silky smooth action.

as said before,.. you have to use the 5.56x45 Bulgarian waffle magazines,...wich range anywhere from 20-35 dollars depending on whos selling them,...the mags come in black, plum,.OD green,..and clear.

the only thing i have changed on my Arsenal SA-M5 is the pistol grip,..i never liked the skinny little plastic pistol grips that are standard on the AK,. because i feel like i am holding onto a pop-sickle stick,...i got an American made overmolded PG thats fits my hand good,...and that is the only modification i needed to make.

i have alredy used my SA-M5 to put one snobby ar owner in his place,.i am sure there will be others,...useing SS109,. or any quality ammo the accuracy of this rifle is equal to any ar-15 with a 16in barrel and 1/7in twist

you will not find a finer 5.56x45 AK than this one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this settles it, I'm going to go-fer-it!

Already just ordered a half-dozen of the clear waffle mags while they're still available, and will be getting one of the M5's while I unload -- er, that is.....bestow some of my currently owned fine equipment upon the marketplace.

Templar said:
......I think you need a M5S too...................... :twisted:
Isn't the "S" the post-ban (Clinton-era), model, i.e. pinned brake, no bayo lug, etc.? I think that's what Bill told me Degoffs currently has in-stock.

·
Registered
263 Posts
alex9483 said:
I just bought this one at Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=44801311

So, what do you guys think? Green furniture though. Gotta get used to that.
Is this a ban or no ban? Arsenal's model numbers confuse me.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, but I need mags. I heard that K-var will be having more waffles soon.
Its the no ban version. You can remove the break and its got a lug for a bayonet to be hooked onto.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
BlackScot said:
Isn't the "S" the post-ban (Clinton-era), model, i.e. pinned brake, no bayo lug, etc.? I think that's what Bill told me Degoffs currently has in-stock.
the later SA-M5s that where produced where the no ban versions,..mine was made in APR of 2005,..it has the "s" desination,..but has the evil features,..im not sure but i think all of the 2005's have evil features and the spring loaded firing pin,.. at least the ones made after mine.

always ask the seller to check the rifle though,...

Deerslayer is the guy i got mine from as well,..great guy id buy another couple of fifles off of him if i had the cash.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
alex9483 said:
I just bought this one at Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=44801311

So, what do you guys think? Green furniture though. Gotta get used to that.
Is this a ban or no ban? Arsenal's model numbers confuse me.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, but I need mags. I heard that K-var will be having more waffles soon.
Bastard! I've been watching that one for a couple of weeks, not quite enough cash in my pocket to have acted fast. Debit card maxed out from Weaponeer Romak buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry Dutch, it seems like Deerslayer has a whole trunkful. As soon as he sells one, another pops up in Gunbroker.
I hear ya on the cash flow thing. Thank God I'm getting a refund from Uncle Sam, plus I'm going to sell my unfired SAR 2 to ease the sting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought a no ban SA -M5 with rail from deerslayer about 4 months ago. I watched the rifle sit on Gunbroker for a couple months without any bids. Deerslayer just kept relisting it.

It is kind of funny how a shipment of mags has changed the desirability of the model. 6 months ago they were hard to move. Now they are hard to find. :goof: If Arsenal sees the demand pick up a little do you suppose they will do another run of them ?

s & p

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went by good-ol' Degoffs (our local black-rifle purveyor) last Friday, and "radical" Bill got me going with the SA M5S. Took it out for several dozen rounds Saturday afternoon.....

What a dream! Light recoil like an AR but without that blasty "pop", and instead the good ol' rolling crack that I'm used to from my 7.62 SA M7S. Brought that along too for comparison, which suddenly seemed a lot more mule-kicky by comparison. The hopefully forever available 5.56 through a milled receiver is about as easy as it gets for speedy multiple shot placement. Hoping to see how it fares in competition (if the county doesn't shut-down our range first).

As far as reliability, I shot both Wolf and WWB without incident (of course), but both of which had shown problems with my AR (which has since been posted on the EE of "that other rifle chat board" - email if interested).

I have a few boxes of 7.62 left, but the SA M7S' days may be numbered beyond that. I have a feeling the SA M5S is going to be the all-time keeper!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
glad everything worked out for you,....i hope you use it to put foot to ass in those shooting compatitions. funny to hear your ar is for sale,....i sold mine to buy my SA-M5,..did you notice the diffrence in ballance? and that you dont hear the spring in your ear after every shot?

i would say keep the 7.62,...but if your set on selling it,.......got a picture of your SA-M7? i do have a Arsenal addiction you know.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Hey he is in VA... if he sells the Arsenal to anyone it should be me, for a good price. :twisted:

Do you shoot at the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol club? Or Fairfax rod & gun? Or Chickahomeny?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cruzie27 said:
..did you notice the diffrence in ballance? and that you dont hear the spring in your ear after every shot?....got a picture of your SA-M7?
Balance of the SA M5 is what I'm used to from the SA M7, and different from any AR I've handled. I never really noticed the "sproing" in this AR with a telestock, but I used to have another AR with an A2 stock that sounded a lot worse. Other than the mag, the SA M7 is externally identical to the SA M5. Here's a link to a pic of the 7 (on that - ahem - other rifle site):

http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/I...CategoryUnq=0&iNumPerPage=20&iImageUnq=42616&

Q-gunner2 said:
Hey he is in VA... if he sells the Arsenal to anyone it should be me, for a good price. :twisted:
Dont' worry guys. If I sell the 7.62 it'll be prominently posted here. Likely FTF-in-VA-only though. I hate dealing with all the out-of-state crap. Probably will keep for a little while though, or maybe even make permanent if the ammo situation ever straightens out.

Q-gunner2 said:
Do you shoot at the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol club? Or Fairfax rod & gun? Or Chickahomeny?
I have been helping Templar run Cavalier's monthly rifle and shotgun side matches for the past couple of years.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
BlackScot said:
Q-gunner2 said:
I have been helping Templar run Cavalier's monthly rifle and shotgun side matches for the past couple of years.
I was at the last rifle match Feb 25th, it's crazy to think that there were two forum members there and I was talking to them without even knowing it! Next match you will have to walk around asking "Hey are you Q?" :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts