AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a like new SLR-95. I was looking to remove the thumbhole stock and replace it with a 1 tang stock. Either a folding stock or replace everything with all wood. I do not want to damage the rifle or make modifications to it. I am trying to find companies who sell them at a reasonable price. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K-VAR does not tell you if they are 1 or 2 tang. most are out of stock.
ironwood, it will cost 338 for the set. i was hoping to find something less expensive, but i guess i will not.

thanks

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
most likely not. i have not seen much for SLR-95 furniture.
You can adopt standard milled wood furniture for this. strip the finish, glue wood insert into lower tang recess, file it to match rest of the stock profile and then refinish it.
it'll look like a repair, but with dark enough stain it would be barely noticeable.

you don't have to buy all furniture from IWD. you can just buy stock and find the rest surplus. it'll be cheaper than getting all IWD.

as another option you can modify tapco galil-style stock to fit your SLR. it uses single tang setup and it's plastic so it'll be easy to modify with just a file or dremmel or disk sander. also it's cheap and it is a side-folder. maybe worth a try if you know your way around a tool.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If you could find a tang and you didn't want to actually mount it to the receiver, you could perhaps cut the end off at a length that would look like it was part of the receiver. But the tangs aren't that common anymore.

·
Technical Advisor
15,854 Posts
K-VAR has the lower stock tang in stock for $9.39. Call to get the cheaper USPS small packet shipping.
Some SLR 95's are slotted for thr tang and just need rivets or screws once you drill the holes in the receiver.
Cutting the receiver slot with a file is not overly difficult.

·
Technical Advisor
15,854 Posts
Some had the trapdoor and some did not. I guess you got the one without.
Hopefully you ordered the $9 lower tang for install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts