AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 106UR with 8" barrel, and I've been thinking ...
I am not shooting it much, and the gun is most likely useless considering the 223 round is not very effective with that short of a barrel.

I want to revive the gun, to something better and much more likable ...

I am thinking of either a AK-102 or AK-104 clone, since I really like the 12" 100 series carbines, and I already have a 105 clone.

Is 223 effective out of 12" barrel or, should I forget completely about this caliber and make a 104 clone?

Any other ideas, of reviving this Krink?

·
Registered
160 Posts
In the AR/M4 platform, 5.56 is fine with a short barrel. Case in point would be the Colt Commando 6933 with the 11.5" barrel or even the MK18 with the 10.3"-10.5". I have the Colt Commando SBR and it's accurate for medium range. What's the barrel twist with the stock 106UR?

·
Banned
950 Posts
I have the CR model and had it chopped down but had a muzzle extension permanently added since I didn't want to mess with the stamp. It's nice but I'd prefer the UR in SBR format.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the problem is accuracy, what I am afraid of, is the round will not be effective with 8" barrel.
223 does not reliably fragment when shot from that short of a barrel.

In the AR/M4 platform, 5.56 is fine with a short barrel. Case in point would be the Colt Commando 6933 with the 11.5" barrel or even the MK18 with the 10.3"-10.5". I have the Colt Commando SBR and it's accurate for medium range. What's the barrel twist with the stock 106UR?

·
Banned
950 Posts
I don't think the problem is accuracy, what I am afraid of, is the round will not be effective with 8" barrel.
223 does not reliably fragment when shot from that short of a barrel.
Use heavier bullets, HP's etc. It's a PDW weapon, not a carbine. The role is different for PDW's, inside of 100 meters or less and it's extremely lethal. Again however, the chances of you needing it for anything other than target shooting is rare. Not to mention, the difficulties with finding an original twist AKSU barrel then having to swap everything down to the trunnion, bolt, and carrier would be cost prohibitive. Honestly, I'd just enjoy the fact that you have a very compact piston fed NATO caliber weapon and leave it at that. In a SHTF scenario, you don't want a large carbine as that would automatically make you a target, this at least could be carried discretely. Remember also, while a full on carbine wouldn't even fragment reliably past 125 meters, they still are used effectively to well out to 400 meters and beyond. Finally no matter which caliber you choose, you'd still lose a lot of the energy associated with the longer barrel length so it will always be a trade off.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Well also look at it this way-yes fragmentation is a definitely nice thing to have. But from what I remember reading about fragmentation of the bullet with the M193 and M855 in targets only occurred about 15-20% of the time (in the full sized guns) in living tissue it is/was not a reliable factor anyways.

You are not bound by the Hague treaty meaning that you are not bound to FMJs only and can carry what you like for your own self defense purposes. I am not a fun of either 5.45mm or 5.56mm personally but if you run them there are many more options for the 5.56 than the 5.45 if self defense becomes necessary. Also at least in my mind if SHTF I would not be relying on a short barreled anything when it came down to it as my primary.

·
Registered
270 Posts
SBR it and you'll fall in love with it all over again. LOL!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts