AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a former MARINE and this just has to be said the ACU color scheme SUCKS! WTF! was the ARMY thinking? So far I have not seen it blend in anywere so why did they go with that color? Not bagging on the ARMY just this decision for the color?

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey i am in the army and i couldn't agree with you more. combine the shitty colors and the fact that under regular use deployed they don't last more than a month or two.

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
31st MEUSOC said:
Hi I am a former MARINE and this just has to be said the ACU color scheme SUCKS! WTF! was the ARMY thinking? So far I have not seen it blend in anywere so why did they go with that color? Not bagging on the ARMY just this decision for the color?
They were trying to get a camo that would work in urban, desert, and woodland type enviroments. What they ended up with is a camo pattern that works ok in all of them, but not great. Most of us in the Army will agree that the cut of the uniform is ok, and they are comfortable, but it still needs tweaking;

Get rid of the zipper

Cargo pockets need buttons

Sew on function badges, sew on name/branch tapes

Upper chect pockets need to be bigger, and closed by another method. The velcro wears out in short order, and the pocket is then all but useless.

Follow SOGs lead, and adopt Multicam as the primary pattern. This may happen, but who knows. I"ll be retired by then I think. :neutral:

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 the old BDU's and DCU's lasted much longer and did not get stained as easily, were alot more comfortable, and did not feel like tin foil.

The only pro is you dont have to starch them, sew patches, or shine boots, but this is bull$H1t, because it said on the bdu/dcu not to starch, I believe sewing patches builds pride, and shining boots builds confidence, a big part of basic used to be shining boots.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fact is quit being cheap. One color cant cover different enviroments. Even the Marines know this they have woodland and desert multi cam uniforms. I just want to see all our Armed services get the best they can. Yeah I didnt think velcro was a good option I think they need to go back to Buttsons and patches being sewed on.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the Military in general should stick to camo that fits the enviroment and if that means making multiple uniforms so be it I would rather see them have the best Camo out thier.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
31st MEUSOC said:
Whats even worse is the new Air Force pattern. Its a wannabe ACU color in a half digitized tiger stripe. Leave it to the Air Force to follow the Army's lead again.

Here is my new set early this spring.

·
Registered
978 Posts
WOW!! That multicam rocks! I love my old BDUs, but I'm gonna have to get some of that new stuff before hunting season. Oh yeah, I think the acu's suck too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ACU: Get them dirty they work better( I'm in the Army and was in the Marines from 2000-2004) I have worn both USMC ditgis and ACU. USMC got it right.
Multi Cam: According to my supply, the army is supposed to switch to the Mulit cam uniform.

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
pinkmist said:
Multi Cam: According to my supply, the army is supposed to switch to the Mulit cam uniform.
I have heard the same from Angelique at Crye Precision. Mabey in TY09, or TY10.
Hope they do it before I retire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
JoeMomma said:
pinkmist said:
I have heard the same from Angelique at Crye Precision. Mabey in TY09, or TY10.
Hope they do it before I retire.
Glad I'm not the only one thats heard that. One of our Gold Bar Super Lietuenant recruiteres here at Wofford told us that the Army would be going to it in 09. Got my fingers crossed

·
Registered
554 Posts
"Soldier48", You must make that photo of you and your son a pin-up here somehow. A VERY nice photo.

Thank you for your service. :dance:

Tony.

·
Registered
875 Posts
the one "cool" thing about acu's is an accident i think. they are so light that they "absorb" the colors of whatever terrain they are being used in. eg soil, clay, dust, stains them somewhat to whatever envoron they're in.

What it seems they have done is not really find a universal pattern..... but one that kinda works ok in a desert urban environment. which will end up saving them money any-way because we will be fighting in a desert urban environment for the next 100 years anyways :grin: so it IS cost effective

btw not trying to ruffle peoples feathers. but i calls em like i sees em

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Helping soldiers differentiate between friend and foe is just as important, probably more so 99% of the time, than camouflage in modern battle. The ACUs do this well. No other military looks like that & the guys are now somewhat distinct in their environments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts