AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the extra $500-$800 bucks when compared to the DPMS LRs?
My local Sportsman's Warehouse has a 10T match grade model for $1800. Wonderin if I should just bite the bullet and get it.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
There have actually been less issues reported with the DPMS .308's than the Armalite AR-10's.

The new generation of AR-10's with the new mags should be much better than the ones that came out a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
I have a DPMS .308 and have no issues. My only complaint would be when DPMS came out with so called "20" round mags that may or may feed 20 rounds reliably so they called "19" round mags now. :neutral:

I had one the AR-10's in the late 1990's and it was nothing but trouble. As Templar has stated, they seem to have a newer design mag and maybe better.

IMHO, there is more of a Kool-Aid drinking crowd with the AR-10 but I feel the DPMS rifles are a better bang for the buck.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Not in my experience. I went through 3 AR10s in 2005, none worked right so I gave up on them; none of the issues was mag related, seemed to be out-of-spec bolt/carrier assembly. Bought a DPMS a few months ago and it's been great. Can't say I care for the barrel profiles though, I bought a 24" A3 and it's seriously a pig (sub-MOA pig though :cool: ). If it keeps running well though I'll have it turned down a bit. Also I don't like the fixed integral trigger guard, but thats really a nit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well I have four and I think they are, one doesn't count for what you are asking because it's a Portuguese AR-10 built on a us made receiver.

All three of my Armalite are 20" stainless but that also doesn't matter for what you asked.

But having said they are I believe you should buy what you want not what someone else might like.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
doesnt' noveske make some 7.62 cal stuff now? $$$ of course. but i doubt it would disappoint.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robpiat said:
I am very pleased with my 24" Stainless DPMS.
EVERYONE I talk to says the SAME thing. I am a cunt hair away from buying one too. Only problem is the only ones that are around here are the ones with the basic, smooth side upper receiver, as opposed to the A3 one with the forward assist and dust cover. Called DPMS and its an 8 month wait to custom order one like I want it :shock:

Im gonna check out the fun show this weekend. Hopefully Ill find one in the A3 like I like.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skyugo said:
doesnt' noveske make some 7.62 cal stuff now? $$$ of course. but i doubt it would disappoint.
Yeah, $3.5K on a rifle would officially land me in divorce court. Thanks for opening my eyes to one more thing I want and cant have though :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
thirdeye said:
Robpiat said:
EVERYONE I talk to says the SAME thing. I am a cunt hair away from buying one too. Only problem is the only ones that are around here are the ones with the basic, smooth side upper receiver, as opposed to the A3 one with the forward assist and dust cover. Called DPMS and its an 8 month wait to custom order one like I want it :shock:

Im gonna check out the fun show this weekend. Hopefully Ill find one in the A3 like I like.
I think you have asked in three threads, and I have answered 3 times. Call Rguns. Cheap and instock usually.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The two experienced AR smiths I've talked to re: "Armalite vs DPMS" said the same thing, there is no difference between the level of performance and reliability they could get out of the guns.

My experience with Armalite was that the quality control on assembly was lacking and your rifle may not run out of the box on NATO ammo (or "plinking" ammo as they call it).

The old joke with DPMS 5.56 rifles is that DPMS must stand for "Didn't Pass Military Spec"... but like Templar said, their .308's seem to run much better and I've never seen a large number of complains about those rifles. The aftermarket for the DPMS rifles is a lot better too, IMHO, being somewhat related to the KAC rifles.

Both the Armalites and DPMS guns are heavy, "armaheavy" as Ekie once said, with no decent lightweight options available from the factory. Mostly a problem of rifle length gas systems, coupled with excess barrel/bolt/upper-receiver weight. The unwillingness to trim down is understandable, as their market share is still paper punching. Government profile barrels, lightweight uppers and lightweight bolts would bring the weight down to between 7 and 8 lbs, depending on rifle configuration.

CMMG looks like they might be dipping into the KAC/DPMS side of things with their two new .308 receivers, which could mean chrome lined barrels compatible with DPMS rifles in the future.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
thirdeye said:
Robpiat said:

Of course get what you like. I will say I have one with the smooth side upper and never had a need for a forward assist or dust cover. I bought mine when they first came out and have one of the first 200 built. Only upgrade was a RRA 2 stage trigger.

Hootbro

·
Registered
4 Posts
not one of the options previosly posted but do you have your m14 yet? best range and accuracy for the round that i have ever been witness to

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will say newguy has a point you should get the M1A first before the AR10 I have both and I would pick the M1A over the AR10 also.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JimM44 said:
I will say newguy has a point you should get the M1A first before the AR10 I have both and I would pick the M1A over the AR10 also.
Yeah, I like the M14s and Im sure they are indeed more accurate than the AR platform. This go around though, I want something with a pistol grip. Im just really itchin for an AR right now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
armakraut said:
The two experienced AR smiths I've talked to re: "Armalite vs DPMS" said the same thing, there is no difference between the level of performance and reliability they could get out of the guns.

My experience with Armalite was that the quality control on assembly was lacking and your rifle may not run out of the box on NATO ammo (or "plinking" ammo as they call it).

Just saying I saw a regular at the plate shoots 2 years ago who had an Armalite AR10, stainless bbl, ran fine on one surp and refused to chamber on the other. Forget whether he was trading SA for Port or the other way, but it was rude.....

Otherwise fond of my CETME with a Bill Springfield trigger job, $360 total and 2moa on most anything :dance:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
skyugo said:
All of Noveske's stuff is Armalite AR10 specs.

OH and my AR10T is fantastic. Shoots easily on par with my remy R5... Which is saying alot.

Be warned chambers in AR10Ts are TIGHT, surplus ammo wasn't happening for me, but any box of federal, black hills, or hornday I could get a hold all ran fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts