AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DONT!!!!!!

Its an Israeli Galil 35 rnd magazine. Worth $15-30 dollars - maybe.

Not worth $250+.

Yes it will lock into a Valmet M71/76, but give you jams and bullet setback.

These are Valmet magazines.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, love it when they do that. I have seen lots of Galil mags being advertized as yugo m90/m95/m85's also.
Amazing - three people in a bidding war driving the price to $250. Imagine their disgust in firearms, and our community, if they have the misfortune to win this turd!

Looked at it again, and its a South African made mag. Dated "6-80" if I remember correctly. Maybe worth $30.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Auction prices have been going CRAZY. I just watch an auction for seven Zastava M85 30rd magazine. I thought, if they go stupid low, I’d bite.

NOPE. The final bid was $444.44! New magazine are $39.99 from Zastava, and yes, they are available- I just ordered a few. I did the math- ordering seven direct with shipping would be $295.88. The buyer on GB paid $63.49 each for the pleasure of beating out someone else. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
It's all about buying when they're available and the market isn't hot. In 2014 I bought 25 10rd Zastava M85/M95 magazines for $8.92 each delivered and 40 30rd Zastava M85/M95 magazines for $10.73 each delivered from J&G. BTW, do you realize that the $15 AC Unity magazines will work in the M85's?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
And they also made a standard AR15 magazine adapted version of the M95. They were less than $600 and didn't sell well. Mine runs 100% like a champ and is one of the best AK purchases that I've made.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kinda like the classified ad with the virgin barrel Tula kit that dude had listed here then raped someone lying about it on GB. I can’t stand those people

·
Registered
46 Posts
He corrected the ad....but if you look closely at the pic, it looks like the rear of the mag has been altered to fit a Valmet. No sure but it looks that way....view the left and right side corners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
He corrected the ad....but if you look closely at the pic, it looks like the rear of the mag has been altered to fit a Valmet. No sure but it looks that way....view the left and right side corners.
the rear of the mag isnt the issue...the valmet mag feeds at an upward angle whereas the galil feeds straight into the chamber similar to how the AR mags do, which is why it was so easy to make the adapter for the galil. I believe the M85 mags feed straight as well, but dont quote me on that. You would need to modify the front lug of the galil mag to get it feeding properly in a valmet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Serbian .223/.556 dont work at all in a Valmet either. Both the Galil and M80/82 and 95 Serb magazines dont work as they sit low of the angle needed to extract the round and chamber. The Bulgarian .223 with the rear lug adj. work flawlessly. Tony at tromix and I figured this out many years ago. Yes, its me....the .223 Valmet mags new were 34.99 and the .308 were 39.99, slings were 14.99 cannot remember the other stuff, all sold out in a few weeks it was two decades ago. The rifles with the barrel keg logo stamped into the receivers, were originally extra semi auto rifles for the Indonesian Navy. They were boxed up and sold. These are very rare I think that 200 made their way here all m76 folders in .223. Sorry to get off base....magazines to topic.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
The Bulgarian .223 with the rear lug adj. work flawlessly. Tony at tromix and I figured this out many years ago.
Have you tried the 5.56x45 AC Unity magazines? They run 100% in my Bulgarian Arsenal 106 series rifles and 5.56x45 chambered AK74. They're only $15 each, so worth a shot so to speak.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Having been a Valmet M76 owner since the early 1990s - I know a little about the magazines.

Couldn't find factory Valmet mags, and Galil mags were being sold at the Gunshows as "Works in Valmets". They do lock in, with substantial wobble, but you get nasty jams. I expererienced setback on bullets that would be devastating to a firearm novice that might decide "WTF" why not load it again and pull the trigger. Not at all funny for the Novice!

From experience - there is NO way to modify the Galil mag to work. If the rear lug was ground-on then it was probably being alteres for some other rifle - which makes it even worse.

Then there were the East German AK74 mags that were guaranteed to be converted to feed in all .223 AKs. Bought one for $29.99 and it wouldn't work in S###$t!. Rip off. That was what a Chinese Drums cost back then by the way.

What I finally modified to work in my Valmet were Norinco mags. Dremel tool and a half-hour of gentle grinding and fitting gave me mags that work flawlessly. Norinco mags were not that expensive then. Not sure I would suggest doing it today.

I did run into an advertising error on Sarco's website a few years back that actually showed a picture of a Valmet M71 30 round mag being advertised as "Galil 20 round Mgazine". I kinda snickered, and then ordered the $29.99 mag figuring "What the heck do I have to lose". Happy no matter which one shows up, and if its neither I'll send it back. Got the mag, and it was a Valmet M71 mag. I promptly ordered the remaining two they had. One of the best deals I have made! A little knowledge can really help you out some times.

Never have found a Galil 20 rnd mag. If anyone has a factory 20 round Galil mag - I think I would trade one of those Valmet mags for it by the way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts