AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to a gun shop tonight and the guy has a masive collection of ar receivers and complete rifles and some pistols.
now i ask him if he builds them. he says, yes but i dont need a 07 to do this. he says he is just moving parts around! :roll:

well i just move my welder around too. :cool: as far as i have been told you have to be 07 to even put a finish on a receiver or complete firearm.

not that i am trying to force my ability on him but i hate to see people go right by the proper method or law. i can understand his need to make his coin but man i am tired of spending time and money on licenses when people skate right by them! :evil:

this is just like the topic of being a construction contactor or a "handyman". i was the more expensive one and look at me now, i build guns.

thoughts..........

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I guess you will always have people like this guy..trying to do his thing under the radar..but we all know that girl called Karma and she is a bitch.

turbothis...good things happen to good people, you will be rewarded one way or another..

ps.. I love checking out your threads on the re-welds. You work is nice..

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
aaaah man. that guys is probably gonna get nailed. our friends at the BATFE look for stuff like that.

what's the deal with the 07 exactly? if you're assembling an AR for your own use you don't need one, but if you have a shop and are selling custom builds you do right?

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you build with the intent to sell then you need it. (hence this guy)
if you build for yourself then not needed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
skyugo said:
aaaah man. that guys is probably gonna get nailed. our friends at the BATFE look for stuff like that.

what's the deal with the 07 exactly? if you're assembling an AR for your own use you don't need one, but if you have a shop and are selling custom builds you do right?

Anything you build with the intention of selling must be done so through an 07. Even if you are "assembling" on already-registered receivers, you are walking into an excise tax area that can cause nothing but nightmares for you without an 07.

Building 80%s can NOT be transferred to anyone with the one exception of a family member upon your death or loss of gun-bearing rights. Building on registered 100%s is considered for "personal use only" and must be treated as such.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
animator said:
Building 80%s can NOT be transferred to anyone with the one exception of a family member upon your death or loss of gun-bearing rights. Building on registered 100%s is considered for "personal use only" and must be treated as such.
Actually thats totally false.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Man, the armchair lawyers have been coming out of the woodwork lately around here. Anybody else want to chime in with their legal opinion? If you don't know what you are talking about keep it to yourself please, there's enough bad info out there about our hobby already.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agreed, building on a 100% and then selling it later is perfectly fine. But building with the intent of selling it later without a license, just like buying guns with the intent of selling them later without an FFL, is not legal. If you only did a few it wouldn't make any difference. But if you're making a living off it, that's where the ATF will come down on you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Robpiat said:
animator said:

which part?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
animator said:
Robpiat said:
animator said:

which part?

The 80% can't be transferred part. A rifle built on a flat/80% receiver can be transferred like any other title 1 weapon. The ATF requires any MFR, including home builders, to engrave their name and city/state on the receivers prior to transferring them.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Gunsmiths (with a a type 01 FFL) are allowed to build a certain number of guns each year and not have to have a Mfg liscense, there was a BATF ruling several years ago, and no I do not remember how many. I think it was in the 25 to 50 a year range.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ATF requires any MFR, including home builders, to engrave their name and city/state on the receivers prior to transferring them.[/quote]

the atf "suggest's" that you put your info on it. it is not mandatory!!!

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jithaca said:
Gunsmiths (with a a type 01 FFL) are allowed to build a certain number of guns each year and not have to have a Mfg liscense, there was a BATF ruling several years ago, and no I do not remember how many. I think it was in the 25 to 50 a year range.
i think it is 5. i will call in morning to verify.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
turbothis said:

Until you try to sell/transfer it, and the dealer has no way to record any manufacturer information in their log book.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
About home-built rifles being marked.

What I recall reading is markings are suggested for owners of home-builts. (theft recovery/identification)
But if a home-built is sold to another person it must be marked "in accordance with xxxx" the same as any other manufacturer is required to do.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Armed Ferret said:
turbothis said:

Until you try to sell/transfer it, and the dealer has no way to record any manufacturer information in their log book.
it still isnt required. i got banned from another board because some idiot wanted to argue with me about this exact point. he said it was required, i said show me and he couldnt. i said, while i DONT build guns from kits(i have no tools or space) i wouldnt put my info on a gun.

idiot moderators said i was "promoting illegal activity" even though im not.

bottom line, its OPTIONAL. until it rains again, or a cloudy day and the atf's current opinion follows the wind, i still wouldnt put my personal info on a gun.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
turbothis said:
i put my visa number on all of mine. :goof:
nice to know, put the experation date and your full card name on there too, so when i get my rifle rewelded by you(hopefully its a candidate) i can buy some other things :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts