AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new here and getting back into AK's traded for a pretty decent Mak-90 and am refitting it with compliance parts new goodies etc.,.

So I now need some mags. Are the rust n dent ones sold "AS IS" a Centerfire Systems worth the trouble to someone like me who has acess to a bead blast cabinet and has a parkerizing set up?

·
Registered
512 Posts
NO!

You must not have bought anything from Centerfire before. While they don't outright lie about the condition the stuff they sell is in, you do have to read between the lines in order to get a real idea of what the stuff is like. For instance, "may have corrosion" or "may not function" means rusty and non-functional. Just like the Yugo barrels they sell that say "bores are typically dark". That really means, every last one of them is a sewer pipe that was so worthless they couldn't sell them to anyone.

In all likelihood, these magazines are units either sent out before that were so bad that they were returned or they were simply undeliverable to anyone because of their condition. You can buy a few and hope to get lucky, but think about this: if they were good enough to use or pass as serviceable surplus mags, Centerfire would have sold them already as such. Most of them probably are in some degree of non-functionality and state of utter corrosion. You can find better deals on the classifieds here and elsewhere for cheap used mags.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I think I'll pass on them. :shock:

And I bet minor dents must = Getting run over by a T-72. :razz:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Classifieds are usually the best place to get cheap mags. I saw a group of 7 7.62 mags for $60 shipped on the arfcom EE a couple of days ago. I'm sure they sold, but deals like that are out there.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_30rd_Steel_Magazine.html
+1
Just got a box of 10 that me and a buddy went halves on. All were in pretty decent shape. A coating of oil or grease was on them, nothing too gunky. A quick cleaning with some brake cleaner and they're good to go.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
while i wont give a -1 to the aim mags... i had 18 out of 75 i had to send back due to non functioning, or that i couldnt repair. aim will replace, but i dunno...

and since we are nit picking, 75% of them had rust in mixed spots. could be blasted off, nothing too bad... but they arent advertised as that.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
catsailer40 said:
while i wont give a -1 to the aim mags... i had 18 out of 75 i had to send back due to non functioning, or that i couldnt repair. aim will replace, but i dunno...
Bad luck?

I ordered 11 or 12, all but 2 were absolutely perfect, the two that weren't only had speckles of rust that wiped off. A buddy of mine ordered 100 of them (nucking futz) and ALL... not kidding, ALL... were just soaked in cosmo, I think 11 had minor wear but no damage or rust.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the hungarian 5 pack with pouch from Copes for $44 are REALLY nice
gotta order a second batch..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
-Todd- said:
Why not spend 3 more bucks and get the new unissued Bulgarian mags from AIM?
I gotta second that. These new unissued Bulgarians are some of the nicest mags you`ll find. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tell you what guys here and in a few other threads I've found more deals for mags than I can shake a spike bayonet at. :cool:

For now I'm jumping on some of the new Hungarian 20rd mags from Apex. I've got one 20rd mag that I bought local and kinda like it as it fits all my existing pouches. So I orderd 6 of them for now. Gotta balance getting mags with getting ammo. :mrgreen:

Thanks agian for all the feedback on what the better place's are to deal with online.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I ordered six 20 round Hungarian mags from APEX and they are in New in Wrap condition. Highly recommended. $12.00 ea

Over the past year I have ordered a dozen 30 Round East German mags New in wrap from a seller on Gunbroker named "What". some were still sealed in the plastic. East German Mags = excellent quality. $15.00 ea.

Mags are cheap enough. I would not waste my time trying to refinish a rusted piece of junk when for $15 I can get a new one. Unless it was a rare "diamond in the rough".

·
Registered
392 Posts
mikeinkc said:
-Todd- said:
Why not spend 3 more bucks and get the new unissued Bulgarian mags from AIM?
I gotta second that. These new unissued Bulgarians are some of the nicest mags you`ll find. :wink:

They are nice, come sealed with a little bit of oil that just wipes off. Got 2 and liked those so much I ordered 4 more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
44mag.com has new Hungarian 30rd mags for $15
free shipping on orders over $200
These are good to go for the price if you want new, I'm real happy.

Copes had a nice deal on 5 packs of used Hungarians, I think $45 w/pouch, flat rate $7 shipping. I grabbed a bunch of these, and aside from finish wear, they were all pretty nice mags. The pouches, not so much.
Copes usually has a variety of mags with reasonable prices.

I wouldn't buy the CFS rusty mags.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts