AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find these around on-line. Were these mostly for the AIMS, or were they originally used on Romy AKM's too?

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
762hurts said:
Can't find these around on-line. Were these mostly for the AIMS, or were they originally used on Romy AKM's too?
99% of the Romy green slings came in one to a rifle and were not bought as loose spares. So when you see one on the secondary market for sale, it was parsed from a rifle package deal.

They were originally intend Romy AK-74 models but are a substitute standard for the Romanian AKM and PSL rifles.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
They are not found at web vendors sites and are still found in boxes from Century, Classic Arms, J&G sales, DD's ranch ... ,that contain a WASR or other variant of Romanian AK ! I did not get one with MY WASR 22 and have wanted one ever since (But I make do with a couple of Russian AKM slings ,one in Skunkweed Green from early 80's and one in dark mustard from late 70's , and the Romanian leather AK sling as a spare.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Slings

My friend who owns a gun shop gets a bunch of extra crap from SOG with his orders. They send or "sent" him boxes of leather and web Romy slings. They also send him a bunch of old oilers and buttstock cleaning kits. I bought a bunch of them wrapped in brown paper, might be leather might be web.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not on KVAR's site.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Looks like K-VAR has sold out. Their parts supply from Romania is from 2004 and once its gone there will be no more.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
shooter2304 Did you get one of those green slings? Are they any longer than the Century issued green? Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Nylon slings

Are these becoming rare? Should I get what I can now?

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
Re: Nylon slings

jdub said:
Are these becoming rare? Should I get what I can now?
They are not rare, just not readily obtainable. Enough show up on the various boards to always find a source for one or two at a time. Many people really do like the Romy green slings and is one of the first things they chuck when they are playing Barbie Doll with their Romy rifles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. After checking the forum for days. Finally bought one. The member had it listed wrongly as chinese. I s tudied the slings I saw in the chinese forum for an hour! They look canvas. Not nylon. His picture isn't the best. But the fabric looks like the fabric on a the Romies. I bought it. Looks like I was right. Everyone is saying it's Romy now. I am glad I found one. Even if its sanded on and a bit corroded. Search is over. sigh.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't like the Romy green slings because

1. If the polyprop material its made out of touches a hot barrel even for a split second it will melt/damage the sling.

2. The metal hooks on each of the ends of the sling for fastening to the rifle are completely unstealthy. Metal on metal at the fastening contact point = lots of noise.\

3. The metal on metal of the metal hook and metal loop scratches both up.

4. The green polyprop material of the sling is shiny in the sun = more unstealthiness. The color of the green is also off for camo purposes. Its too bright a green

5. Sling is too wide.

I like the green chinese type slings because they are cotton, slim in width, the proper green for camo, not shiny, have leather fastening ends which are silent, i could go on and on..................................................

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. Glad I my sling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the romy slings i find to be the most comfortable sling to us. they have more of a padding feature with use of the nylon. the canvas slings do last better but i find they can rub&cut into your shoulder and neck when a rifle is slung for prolonged periods of time. i never swapout the romy slings when i get a new romy ak.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts