AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or the better question would be, are Yugo SKS and AK grenade launching attchments, and the Yugo rifle grenades sized to the 22mm diameter liek the NATO and U.S. grenades?

The reason I ask is I am building a Yugo AK grenade launcher clone and found a U.S. M31 practice rifle grenade at the gunshow this weekend. It fits great on my AR15, but I was wondering will it "work" on the Yugo grenade launcher?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the same type of practice grenade, and it does fit on the Yugo SKS. Mind you, I haven't tried launching the thing.

-GreatWarAZ

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
22mm is the NATO standard. Anybody who is NATO spec is 22mm. The Yugos, due to their love of cash and knowledge of the export market, made their stuff 22mm.

Most combloc countries are 19mm, as I recall. At least Poland, and I think Bulgaria were (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this).

So, yes, it will work. Real rifle grenade blanks are pretty hard on your weapon. Training blanks (the kind used with a blank adapter) won't launch it very far, but it won't break your weapon, either.

..and one more thing. Don't launch rifle grenades off of a rifle that is not designed to do so, i.e., an AK without a gas shutoff. It's real hard on the weapon.

Actually, you probably shouldn't launch anything off of any of your weapons...

~Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Tito was a maverick in relation to other communist dictators after WWII. He refused to be a puppet to Stalin and more or less told him to get fucked and he was doing his own thing. Tito kept trade relations to most of western Europe, the USA and other communist countries that chose to not be held so tightly by Stalin. That is why most of the Yugo Arms industires kept there hands to both Soviet and western standard with their weapons. That is why 7.62x39, 8mm and 30-06 were common calibers in their arsenals to even this day. Not certain but I believe even their AK's are reversed engineered in a good way to suit their needs and were not built under license or technical help from the Soviet Union. Once Stalin died, relations improved with the Soviet Union but they still did their own thing. Before the fall of Tito, the Yugo's had one of the highest standard of livings in a communist country next to East Germany.

Hootbro

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EODinert: I have no intentions of firing anything off a rifle, even a Yugo rifle that was designed to do it. Strangley enough I have become quite fond of my hands, eyes, and handsome face. Narcissistic, or Survial Instinct? you be the judge... :wink:

Hootbro: The Yugo AK is something else with many features (and dimensionaly pretty different) that aren't found on the standard AK. the "GFY" attitude may also explain why they couldn't get chromium to line their barrels.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
1. You do not need to make a launcher. Simply buy a US made AK birdcage flash hider- they will work for grenade launching.

2. Only launch grenades on rifles intended to do so. If you have a Yugo AK, toss on the launcher and go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts