AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost made an expensive mistake on Gunbroker tonight. There was an auction for said sight that ended tonight and I blindly bid on it. Something raised an eyebrow about it for me as the sight definitely had Arabic symbols on it but on the underneath of it was a four digit Roman numeral serial number. I shared this issue with a close friend and I expressed my concerns about it to him. He did some heavy research about the sight and discovered the sight was actually made by the Poles for rifles exported to Arabic countries. My friend referred me to silahreport.com where I compared photos of the two rear sight leafs. Sure enough, the sight was definitely a Polish one. I was quickly outbid and as of the time of writing this thread, the sight was bid up to over $200. Most folks wouldn’t have known this and being no novice to the AK scene, I’m glad I was soundly outbid. I’m sure the seller is unaware of this as well. The point is, trust your gut and do your research. I’m sure this probably wouldn’t bother most collectors, but I prefer to have the real deal when building these rifles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did the sight leaf have Arabic (Hindi) numbers or Farsi? Some of the Polish export sight leafs have Farsi which is really cool. Do you have a link to the auction?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can tell the Egyptian one are engraved by native Arabic writer, the Polish one a non native trying to follow a drawing

·
Registered
128 Posts
My mistake, maybe not Farsi, but Eastern Arabic. Would be cool to have one of those Polish rear sights and make a Polish middle eastern export rifle!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same thought crossed my mind, but I’m contemplating a Two Rivers Arms Tabuk sniper right now.

·
Technical Advisor
15,335 Posts
The most common sight ladders seen on Egyptian AK's with western numbers are Romanian 'P' marked ladders.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's a pretty expensive sight leaf! I know these Maadi issue sights are sought after but this one raises a few questions.
Did the high bidder get it because he knew what it actually was (Polish export) or because of what the description said it was (Egyptian/ Maadi)? What is a realistic price for a actual Egyptian one?
As far as this KBK/AKM variant: Does anyone know what other distinguishing features/ differences these Polish export rifles might have had other than the sight markings?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Almost made an expensive mistake on Gunbroker tonight. There was an auction for said sight that ended tonight and I blindly bid on it. Something raised an eyebrow about it for me as the sight definitely had Arabic symbols on it but on the underneath of it was a four digit Roman numeral serial number. I shared this issue with a close friend and I expressed my concerns about it to him. He did some heavy research about the sight and discovered the sight was actually made by the Poles for rifles exported to Arabic countries. My friend referred me to silahreport.com where I compared photos of the two rear sight leafs. Sure enough, the sight was definitely a Polish one. I was quickly outbid and as of the time of writing this thread, the sight was bid up to over $200. Most folks wouldn’t have known this and being no novice to the AK scene, I’m glad I was soundly outbid. I’m sure the seller is unaware of this as well. The point is, trust your gut and do your research. I’m sure this probably wouldn’t bother most collectors, but I prefer to have the real deal when building these rifles.
I was bidding on the same sight, and luckily caught what you did before it was too late.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts