AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this rifle
http://ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=335142
Im paying the guy $600 for it shipped. That price seems fair but I know damn near nothing about Ar's. Did I get a fair deal? Anything I should know about it? The real bummer is the guys not even a hour from here but in order to do a FTF he wants meet up & go through a FFL which pretty much defeats the whole FTF thing if you ask me. Just so you guys know I have lots of Ak's but figured I better add atleast one Ar to the collection.

ETA Is that a phantom flash hider? I asked the guy and he didnt know. :goof:

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
You got a fair deal......$600 plus FFL transfer fee.....

FTF would have been fine (and saved you the FFL fee) considering you are both in the same state. I do it all the time, but I make sure I get their DL number in case something goes wrong after the deal.

Make sure you get a 72-Hour inspection. Take it to the range and run a couple mags through it. ARs are notorious for double feeds, etc. when the weapon has "ills."

You would have spent the same amount had you put it together from a kit....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It was a good deal, "Duke." You've got an A1 upper there with a "tear drop" forward assist and shell defector. The flash hider is a Phantom/Panther model 5C2, from what I can tell. (They're made by Yankee Hill Machine).

Hogue grip, "Glacier Guards," and six-position stock? Very nice. Too bad the barrel isn't chrome lined, but for 6 bills, can't ask for much more!

Note: He states that the barrel is 16" WITH the flash suppressor. If the barrel is 14.2"/14.5" (minus the FH), better make sure the FH is permanently attached. Unless, of course, you intend to SBR this.

Bud

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Its good to have at least one AR!Here is one I built,its my favorite M4.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The price was right. . The only negative is it isn't chromed line. The great thing about AR's is you can pop two pins and mount a different upper in 5 seconds. You can go from a 16" M4 style to a 20" flat top with scope nailing prairie dogs at 400 M . Just being your internet bud, I would have opted for a chrome line barrel . But if the chamber was reamed properly, and no rust is ever allowed to set in, it will run with no problems..... WarDawg

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Like Jonho said, everyone needs an AR. If I had the rifle you bought, I'd likely take that upper, and make a full A1 out of it, then use the barrel and lower, and build a M4. Of course, that is just my preferences speaking. :wink:

My M4...

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I HATE the so-called "M-4" rifles... the 16" barrel + shortened M-4 handgaurd= FUGLY.

If I got an AR, I would want the chromed barrel and fixed stock and 22" barrel, BUT, old school M-16 furniture. The triangular shaped handgaurd and all that. It feels better in the hand than the later stuff.

G

·
Everyone wants the flat top rifles these days but I like the old A1
style sights in the carry handle like your new gun. I would likely put a lightweight barrel on it if I had it and it would make for a sweet handling gun. Off course being an old guy it brings me back to the seventies
when I first started shooting ARs.

Even though I like ARs (having 5 plus almost enough parts to finish a
6th one) I don't like the current trend to have such a heavy barrel gun with the bulky rails and junk hanging on it. I have one M4 configured like that and while it shoots great it is a heavy slug. That heaviness turns what
was originaly a sweet handling, liteweight gun into a preponderus gun.
You might as well field a full size 308 battlerifle.

I guess thats what attracted me to the AKs. I like them in their
simple state unclutterred with what one of my young shooting
buddys so eloquently states "all tactical and shit."

BTW-the barrel not being chrome lined isn't that much of a
liability. In fact usually the precision ARs, like my Bushmaster
Varminter, aren't chrome lined. The barrels are usually more accurate
without it. You just have to be kinder to it in terms of cleaning and
laying off the mag dumps.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said Im not much of a Ar guy. This will be my first one so I wanted something that wouldnt break the bank. Im hoping I made a good choice as far as a entry level rifle. Thanks for the input I feel better about the purchase. The chrome lined barrel bothered me a little but atleast I didnt get hosed on the price which was my biggest concern.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Wear out that barrel then worry about it. It'll be awhile. Plus replacements aren't too bad. You can usually find complete low round uppers cheap $200.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Frostbite said:
Like Jonho said, everyone needs an AR. If I had the rifle you bought, I'd likely take that upper, and make a full A1 out of it, then use the barrel and lower, and build a M4. Of course, that is just my preferences speaking. :wink:

My M4...

Nice rifle..... WD

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
WarDawg said:
Nice rifle..... WD
Thanks WarDawg! It's nothing too special, but I find that everything looks better when it is leaning up against a military NDT! :wink:

It's funny, I've got that M4, and an A4 with a scope. But when I go out, I always end up just grabbing my standard A2 and good old 20 round mags.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Frostbite said:

My M4...

Looks like an A3 16" HBAR. I can't see the detente for the grenade launcher.

Beautiful carbine in either configuration. :grin:

G

·
You didn't get hosed on the deal and DPMS rifles are some nice rifles especially the forged lowers, though there are alot more companies making the AR rifles now so there are plenty of choices out there. As for the lack of a chrome barrel, you can shoot the hell out of the one on that rifle and then change it out with a new one in 30 minutes or less if you have a barrel wrench and upper receiver block you can borrow. I've got one for working on my rifles.

Everyone needs at least 1 AR rifle.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mak said:
You didn't get hosed on the deal and DPMS rifles are some nice rifles especially the forged lowers, though there are alot more companies making the AR rifles now so there are plenty of choices out there. As for the lack of a chrome barrel, you can shoot the hell out of the one on that rifle and then change it out with a new one in 30 minutes or less if you have a barrel wrench and upper receiver block you can borrow. I've got one for working on my rifles.

Everyone needs at least 1 AR rifle.

Nice selection MAK. When I figure out this pic posting stuff I will post all mine. WarDawg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts