AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old man is looking for a free floating tube for his mid length model 1 Ar he just bought. I've been out of the AR game for quite a while so all I see is 2 hundred dollar tacticoolies, and that's the cheap models. He's looking for a simple tube with just a few railed points. Weight is a serious concern since he's pretty handicapped. I started to search the other site but the "your shit sucks and my shit is gold" attitude was just unbearable. What do yall run? Prices? I appreciate any info you can throw out there!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Don't underestimate the CHEAP stuff (amazon search). The clamp together quad rails sell like crazy ad hold up well. Im sure there are free float ones too for under $100...while I'd like to go with the nicer stuff, most of it is very cost prohibitive (I cant put $300 in a forerail for a $600 build).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Don't underestimate the CHEAP stuff (amazon search). The clamp together quad rails sell like crazy ad hold up well. Im sure there are free float ones too for under $100...while I'd like to go with the nicer stuff, most of it is very cost prohibitive (I cant put $300 in a forerail for a $600 build).
I bought a $25 dollar rail off of amazon just out of curiosity on the quality, and was so surprised at how good quality it was i actually kept it on my AR. The thing doesnt move at all, i figured it would scratch pretty easily, so i took several metal sharp objects and couldnt put a scratch in it. I keep trying to figure out why the rail is so cheap but still have not found a reason why my rails that cost 6 times the price are any better.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
You get what you pay for to a point in the long run. Of course there's a point of diminishing returns and all that jazz.... If you're just mounting a flashlight or a VFG on it...go cheap and do what you gotta. The MI rail linked above is a good option. If weight is really a concern check out PRI's carbon fiber tubes. They're light and tough as hell. Again....it's all in what you want. I run KAC URX rails but I also run an IR laser which needs to stay zeroed. It's also not going to come loose for anything but I can't say the same for cheaper rails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts