AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,054 Posts
Glad you posted that! My buddy used to have one, I couldn't remember the official name of it. I was wanting to get one to push small pins in and out with..

· Registered
2,175 Posts
I doubt you can generate enough pressure to properly deform a rivet with one of those. I use a 20 ton shop press for some rivets and I know for sure you aint gonna get anywhere near that out of an Arbor press of that size.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be curious how much force it actually takes to deform a rivet. If you can do with a pair of bolt cutters on short rivets on the front trunion, why not a 1 ton press for the long rivets?

· Registered
3,582 Posts
I use a 12 ton press from Harbor Freight, and it is just about maxed out on some things like barrel pins , so I dont believe the Arbor style will work at all, besides their is not enough hight for anything but rivits . Just bite the bullet and by the 12 or 20 ton press , they are only $100 or a little more ....

· Registered
423 Posts
When I was building my 74 there was one (I think a 3 ton) just laying around the shop that i tried to use to press out the barrel pin. It ended up griped to a table with a 4 foot pipe on the handle and me and my dad pulling on it, didnt move the pin at all. I dont know if there all that hard to move but your going to want hydraulics.

· Registered
1,460 Posts
I have used one to press barrels and pins.It is labeled as 1.5 ton.
It is close to 2.5 feet tall and sometimes required hanging off the handle
or a cheater.It would not do the most stubborn pins.

· Registered
552 Posts
Get in touch with walt-oxie. He's got a post in the "show me yours" homemade tool thread showing all his jigs, and he uses an arbor press pretty exclusively. He'd be the one to ask your questions. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.