AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Bulgy BC that I tried to restamp with some hand stamps and a 3lb. hammer. No luck, all I managed to do was knock off some of the alumahyde paint I had on it. Took it to a local jeweler and got the numbers engraved but they are nowhere deep enough and a refinish in alumahyde will probably cover them up completely. Anyone know more about where to get this done..??? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking about trying that ...just not sure on how to keep everything straight.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Steve at Two Rivers Arms in Okc can fix you right up. Size and depth is done to spec.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
No one is stamping serial numbers AFAIK. Stamping on hardened parts is very difficult. Engraving is the current process.
I once tried to find a source for stamping.
I found an automotive supply/support company that provides stamping trays and numbers for the ID plates and other stamped parts.
They have trays that hold numbers and can create the spacing and font type.
But their initial set up cost was quite high and their criteria for hardness of the stamps was not sufficient. I think a striking stamping machine vs a press is required and likely on unhardened parts.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TRAAK's said:
Steve at Two Rivers Arms in Okc can fix you right up. Size and depth is done to spec.
Thanks...I'll keep him in mind......

I did finally get the numbers stamped into the BC by repeatedly hammering the stamps and having everything locked down in steel to make sure that the hammer strikes to the stamps were transferred to the BC with the most force possible. Process involved positioning the stamp and hitting it HARD with a 3lb. hammer, after the first hit make sure to position the stamp EXACTLY in the same mark made by the first hit or it will look like crap. It gets a bit easier with repeated hits since the stamps lock back into their position better the deeper the marks get, just make sure your hands are steady. The stamps used were the round faced type that I got from Enco IIRC. I'm sure the font style isn't quite correct but at least the numbers do match now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts