AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one of those Polish tanker NV head sets. Its never been issued and like the day it left the factory. Guy I got it from says they will run on a small 12v kiddie car battery. This thing is FKNA kewl!

Anyone have one? Know how to get it working?

Supposed to be some tutorials on utoobs which I will look for.

Same guy has Polish PPN-3 rifle scopes, always wanted one so I will probably grab one of those too.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I believe those are not passive, and would have required an IR illuminator that would have been mounted on the tank.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, she works! Tried it with the 9v.

Not sure how long it would go. The 12v would be the ticket.

It is gen 1 so unless there it some light to amplify I will need a IR flash light.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Id consider forum member wilhelm to be the Forum NV expert he helped me with questions i had about a scope a few years ago. Hopefully he will chime in.

·
Technical Advisor
15,449 Posts
I purchased one of those years ago when APEX or some vendor had them for cheap.
Never did fire it up., just bought it as a novelty.
I guess I should dig it out and look at it again.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fortunately there are plenty of cheap IR flashlights on the market.
Tried it out last night, I do indeed need an IR light to use it. Got a couple on order from Amazon.

Will stop by one of the battery shops in the area later to find a dry cell 12V to hook it up to.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, got the IR flashlights and tried it out. Works well, one tube is brighter than the other but both work. Pretty sure there are two spare tubes in the case.

I was in Tractor supply and picked up a small sealed 12V battery for $20. The 9V works perfect and with the transformer it continues to work even after you take the battery off. Like another 5 minutes.

The case has what appear to be headlight covers that would turn regular head lights into IR. Now all I need is a T72 to drive around at night.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Scotty you are now a Eastern block tanker candidate

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Your eyes get super tired wearing it for an hr or so.

Not sure if its just the effects of it or something.

It's pretty cool looking and with a TNVC IR flashlight it is bright.

I used my streamlight IR light and it worked well also despite it being a tiny IR light LED

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It also has a pronounced fish eye effect. That would make it tuff driving tank close to edge of mine field.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have to figure this out on the nszp3 setup..its actually not bad to use but the German fero 80 is the cats meow.
I wish I could have gotten one much earlier but I have seen some with production dates of 1996 and 1998. So Germany was still making it all the way until the late 90s.

Zeiss Orion 80
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
The PNW-57A is a passive NV which need an IR light, the better/improved version of it is a PNW-57E.
I've got 57A which is mounted on MICH 2001 or 2002 replica helmet.

There is a switch between 12V and 24V power source:

- switch on 12V position

- the positive and negative power cables

- new cables

- also new cables

- t-connect battery cable mounted

- final version, on the bottom pic on the left you can see on/off switch cover plate

- power on/off switch

- pic made by old cell phone - the wall is 6,5 meter from the NV - shot is taken only by one glass

- the house is 19 meters from NV but I had only one hand to make it and is also made by one glass - actual view is much better.

The power of is a Li-Po 11,1V battery - unfortunately I don't know how long it run with it but at least few hours.

There is also important the wave of IR light, as I remember I've used 900 micro...

·
Registered
662 Posts
your eyes are strained trying to make out a good visual on early night vision the blurry green things that show up make your eyes work hard trying to get a clear view. I have some Russian binoculars that are early vintage that work real well with a laser.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, but it is quit unusual especially when you tried something better than this eg. PNL-2AD or MU-3ADM gogels.
It always work fine because it is better than nothing and for me it was fun to make it run because when I've bought it and switched it to a car battery it have kick me quite nice adn I've put it on the closet for couple of years.

After it I've found someone who got it working on the airsoft helmet and I've borrow battery from him and mine worked too - the problem was in the main cable which was plucked a little bit and touching the housing with energy transfer - the repair was simple, just put the cable into his place and tighten the screws.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet setup KP!

I want to keep mine as original as possible. Gonna try to rig up connectors from the 12V battery I got to the plug on the transformer. Alligator clips should work temporarily.

A 9V works nicely but holding it on the plug just right is not ideal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks.
I thin that alligator clips are too dangerous on it - especcialy when they accidently touch each other.

I also like to keep things as orginal as possible and when I'm working with something I'm trying to use spare parts or make everything without damaging or working in orginal material so I can put it on orginal tanker "helmet" and it will be the same as at the beggining.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts