AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about Polish AKs, or other rifles(like Mosins) for that matter, in Grenada or Central or South America. If so, any kits or what not?

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Russians and Cubans supplied Grenada with weapons. In South America like elsewhere in hot spots most anything is possible as aid or bought on open market

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I know a few guys who were on Operation Urgent Fury in '83. I'll put out an APB and see if anyone knows anything. The number of AK's captured on the island were described as impressive and extremely disproportionate to the island's military and police at the time. Although most was Soviet stuff via Cuba, there were a number of Bulgarian, E. German, and N. Korean personnel and equipment captured as well. It was a few hundred tons of material overall not counting the several armored vehicles captured. I'd imagine some other bloc countries were represented in the inventory.

Grenada has had no standing military since 1983, only a tiny coast guard. It has a somewhat high crime rate for it's population these days, mostly drug-related. We removed EVERYTHING off the island after we hit them and there's strict gun control now so AK's are probably not very common anymore.

I don't know a whole lot about Central/South American activity, but like howiebearse said there is, and was, probably just about everything. I'd say Polish rifles are not hard to find.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
We captured Polish M44 carbines by the hundreds. Most were new in the crate. They mounted one in our battalion mess hall on a presentation plaque.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I got a reply from a guy in my old unit that said there were a couple Polish AK's on display at BN HQ but also stated that they had wooden vertical foregrips, so that tells me Romanian. I'm anything but a god of AK knowledge so I guess they still could be Polish. He was pretty confident they were Polish. You could contact 1st Bn, 75th Ranger RGT at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah and they would probably be helpful. I think both 1st and 2d Bn's also got a number of AK's in their arms rooms for training purposes that they recovered from Grenada too. I'll keep pushing on this to see if anything else comes up.

Here's a somewhat famous photo of two 2/75 Rangers w/several captured AK's on Grenada. I'm sure there's people in here who can ID them at first glance.

37822389_10214971680740632_8059392133922029568_n.jpg

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
I have seen the photos of full-stock AKMs, but all the ones I saw in person were new Russiam AKMSs.

What I remember most is how beautiful they were. Had played with AKs in fam fires at FT Bragg but they were pretty worn down. A new AK just shines.

Bought my first Clayco very soon after that.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
We captured Polish M44 carbines by the hundreds. Most were new in the crate. They mounted one in our battalion mess hall on a presentation plaque.

Didn't know that. Picked up a "new" '55 Polish M44 recently with no import marks, wonder if it was a bringback from Grenada.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Didn't know that. Picked up a "new" '55 Polish M44 recently with no import marks, wonder if it was a bringback from Grenada.
Very possible. We were there early, and weren't allowed to take any trophies but field gear etc. Had [email protected] MPs search us. But I heard following units like the 505 and marines were allowed to file paperwork on the bolt actions and vz52s.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had a Czech VZ52/57 brand new from Grenada. It was found by the crate there as well. I traded it for something else since then. Go on google and put in captured weapons on grenada. Plenty of reference there

·
Registered
607 Posts
I remember how we used to make fun of the commander of the Cuban forces Pedro Tortoló, supposedly he never even ordered the Cuban soldiers to open fire and to surrender immediately, after coming back to Cuba he was demoted from Colonel to private for his cowardice.
One thing is repressing/assassinating unarmed people and other is fighting the 82nd Airborne Division.
I wish they’d killed all those communists and sent them back to Cuba rotting in their caskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts