AK Rifles banner

What do you think I should do with my 590A1's?

• Send back Example B. Mossberg will make it right.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Sell Example B. Don't waste any more time/money on it.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sell both. QC at Mossberg is poor, CS is poor, just get back what money you can.

• Other (please describe)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Follow-up to my 1st post. Short review: picked up one, then went back and got another, Mossberg 590A1 USSM. Both are NIB, unfired.

Example A is pretty nice, no gripes, but something that looked like rust appeared at muzzle inside of barrel, and also a spot on receiver left side. Now, it *could* be that this was just preservative that dried and caked-up there. But it's the same color as rust.

Example B is a disappointment. Same orange, rusty-looking goop on LH side of receiver are exposed screw on that side. Can't get all of it off with a nylon toothbrush and CLP.

Another thing: this is a USSM but it has an incorrect, commercial buttpad on it. WTF? It also has scratches in the finish on the bottom of the receiver, as if it was roughly handled or dragged around after assembly. Now I don't mind scratches... if I am the one who put them there, or I paid a discounted price. But on a NIB piece for which I paid full retail? Honestly, it's like this gun was put together by someone who was in a hurry.

I am kinda' pissed off at myself for not doing better homework on these. I have since found a lot and I mean LOT of complaints about lack of QC running rampant at Mossberg, as well as poor customer service making things right. Then, there's this:

590A1 removed from duty for issues?

Please note near the bottom where one guy says they had LOTS of issues with these in the sandbox. Almost all of the other accounts I've read gave them high marks... almost.

Anyone here stake ever have to stake their life on a 590A1 before?

I am concerned what will happen to an aluminum receiver over time and with heavy use. This already show galling inside on the top of the receiver just from their test-firing/racking.

I have read other reports about FTF, FTE, weak springs, lots of stuff with these. I am not happy, again, mainly with self for not asking more questions before buying.

I didn't want a Remington because of their political stand in NY re: the 2A but to be totally fair-minded, I hear both they and - gasp - Benelli, too, have a number of QC issues/gripes these days, as well.

Not sure what to do, so I thought I'd solicit your input. Do I...

1. Keep both, sending Example B to Mossberg to get things right...

2. Sell Example B, rather than spend any more time or money on it...

3. Sell both and chalk it up to lessons learned about performing DD, first?

Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I carried a Mossberg as an additional weapon on two tours of Iraq. On the first tour I installed a pistol grip, this weapon was close at hand in the vehicle for close range "repel boarders" type duty, or if clearing buildings. Second tour, I brought a barrel with me, and chopped it off just in front of the mag cap. I turned the shotgun in with the original barrel installed and threw the chopped barrel out in the desert. The only problem I had was when dis-assembling it to hose out the sand one time, I dropped the mag tube, oval-ing it where it screws into the receiver. This made it difficult for the round shotgun shells to squeeze through the oval mage tube. I sent it over to the FOB armorer and he replaced the mag tube. That was the ONLY problem in carrying it everyday for two years. I'm sorry you are having issues with yours, but it doesn't sound like a problem which will effect function.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Never had a problem with the Mossbergs in the service, was more bummed that we didn't get to play with semiautos... FWIW, Carrying a shotgun seemed cool until it was just another thing to lug around on patrol that never got used...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sounds like there was/is little to no application for them in the combat zone. Perhaps I should have just stuck to rifles, exclusively, as I had been prior to getting these...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Sounds like you have buyers remorse and are just looking for problems. You have not even shot them yet and are complaining about what people say on the internets.

They are fightin' irons, not safe queens.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I am not sure to your intent with these mossbergs but every good gun collection IMO is augmented by shotguns. I use an 870 as my HD and 3gun gun (although its 18.5" barrel and action are not ideal for competition) but also do quite a bit of other shotgunning as well. Having owned a 500, 590, and 835 I can attest that the guns are bulletproof and you oughtnt worry about reliability if you have gun oil and a toothbrush.

Also if you should ever own an 835 and shoot 3 1/2in mag turkey loads itll pump itself back from the recoil...:cool:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you have buyers remorse and are just looking for problems. You have not even shot them yet and are complaining about what people say on the internets.
The second is the one that troubles me, because it looks more slapped-together in a hurry. The first one looks pretty good, overall.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I absolutely felt there was an application for the 12gau. It was not a general purpose weapon like the M4 or the AK, and would have been horrible compared to them in many situations. But, as a "get off my vehicle" weapon in the cities, and a handy length weapon in room clearing, it was great. I had the advantage of being vehicle borne, and having two different long guns to choose from when I got out. Also, I didn't have to worry as much about the talcum powder sand causing malfunctions, I just worked the slide harder until I could get to a water source to hose it out.

Reactions: OLDBULLET

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had a 500A at my disposal while I was in Iraq in 04. Used it a few times to breach locks and shoot some other stuff for fun. I had no issue with it for up close use, but one time I ended up about a 100 yards out from the Truck with it one time and thought if it came down to a real gun fight and this is all I have I am Fuged. Hot footed it back to the truck and swapped it out for my M4.

But if I had to pick a shot gun to go to the Mossberg 500A (or the 590 pretty sure the basically the same gun) would be on the short list. As for the two you got, give Mossberg a call and see if they don't try to make it right with you. I am betting they will if you bought them brand new.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am not in the military but the 590a1 I purchased used had excess glue on the barrel under the front sight, like they used too much and it ran but no one bothered to clean it off. That was on there when the previous owner bought it. It never bothered me but I sold it to get back into an ak47.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called Mossberg CS today and explained the issues - asked what, if anything, my options might be. I was careful to use honey, as opposed to vinegar, in my words.

The lady with whom I spoke was very belligerent and so I was about to give up, but then she backed off and said to email pictures.

I'll do what she said and send them tomorrow, but this development was not encouraging...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I served in Iraq in 2008. I was on a small civil affairs team. We were all armed with M4s and M9s. I don't think I even saw a shotgun over there. I think shotguns were primarily given to the infantry guys as a specialty weapon. Although I love shotguns, I wouldn't want to carry one in Iraq mainly because I didn't want to attract attention to myself on or off the FOB. Outside the wire, carrying a shotgun would make me look like some sort of bad ass in the crosshairs of some insurgent's rifle and would run counter to my efforts to interact with the civilian populace. Inside the FOB, there's always some CSM or O6 with nothing better to do than wander around and pick on somebody with a minor uniform infraction. Carrying a shotgun would attract these guys like magnets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My unit got 20ish from the unit we replaced in 2004. NEVER had an issue. Looked like bpfu when we got them, even worse when we left. For shits and giggles one we buried a couple in the sand once, besides being a little :grin: gritty, they still functioned perfect. They were regularly cleaned and shot.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sold off example B 'cause I don't have time to deal with Mossberg right now; keeping example A and plan on giving it a workout.

Thanks for helping me out with this, guys.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm not into shotguns and have no idea what's up in the shotgun world, but it would seem QC is down a bit.
For what it's worth I own a 500 I bought in 1992 and never had a problem.now on the bottom of mine where the aluminum meets steel there was a little bit of red rust that cleaned up, just figured it was from the bluing...
Have not shot it in 13 years but did shoot the heck out of it the first 8 with never a problem other than mine prefers 3" over cheap 2 3/4 bird shot

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never been in the military, but I have used Mossberg pumps a lot, mostly to shoot Skeet. Something I have noticed about firearms that work well for me, is I really don't care for the looks of them. I find Mossberg pumps to be as homely as a mud fence, but they work really well for me. I have had two problems with Mossberg pumps, one being a re-occurring problem with shotshells that have steel heads on them. The metal on most shotshell heads is brass plated steel. Statistically, about once in every 50 times I rack my 500 shooting Skeet doubles, the empty case will exit the firearm, plus the cartridge from the magazine will also go out the ejection port. Other members of the Skeet/Trap club I belong to say it is a common complaint. There are shotshells available that have aluminum heads, and I try to use those for my reloads.

The other problem was on a 20 gauge Mossberg with just one action bar. The action bar broke at the front end. I had a gunsmith take a twin action bar and cut one bar off, and it is good as new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts