AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I LOVE spicy food!! Can eat Jalapeños like potato chips. And those supermarket bought "hot" peppers are a joke.

Yesterday I was at a garlic festival in Easton Pa and picked up some fresh ghost and ghost/scorpion hybrid peppers. I bring one hybrid with my lunch today and proceed to chow down. Thinking I should be cautious at first I only cut a fingernail size piece. ....HOLY FRIGGING WOW!! The heat sets in on the first bite and is intense right away and quickly gets much more intense. Its a dry type heat. I couldnt sit still for 10 minutes and was debating on hauling ass to the nearest 711 for some milk

This is some great stuff!! I'll be drying some and pickling the rest. One thing I want to try and do is buy a liter of vodka and tequila. Drop one of the smaller peppers in each and let it sit and see what it tastes like later

The Scoville heat rating for both are 850,000 - 1.463,700. A Jalopeno by comparison is 5000 - 8000

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'm growing 8 kinds of hot peppers including bhut jalokia/ghost peppers. Anyone local to KC that wants some hit me up.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
I like spicy and hot but too often the heat overrides the flavor.. I don't like it when my head catches on fire.

Some people mistake heat for flavor and it's kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I love hot and spicey food, but I too do not like to be on fire. I quit eating hot wings at restaurants because I become a zoned out snotty mess, and the gorgous blonde girl bartending was not impressed by this at all. BTW that pepper just looks evil.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I love spicy food. But if the heat outweighs the flavor, I'll pass. Not much fun later as it burns your hole on it's way out of you.

We go out for good Thai and Vietnamese food weekly. I love the chili's they use!

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
We found a killer Thai and Vietnamese place and just 4 blocks away a good Korean place. Now we have to flip a coin as where to go.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not a fan of overwhelming heat to where you cant taste anything else but having never tried one of these before I definitely got the full effect.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I love spicy, can't get hot enough for me, Habaneros are like potato chips. That being said, grabbed a Trinidad Skorpion pepper (over 2million SHU, not a fact I was aware of before hand) and downed the whole thing in one go... was fine for about 30 seconds wondering what the big deal was, then she hit me, holy friggin cow, I've been shot and I think the pepper was a more intense pain, would not recommend anything living to touch one of those things, let alone eat one.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Big fan of the hot and spicy food, as long as its not overpowering.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I love it too but I do think there comes a point where it just becomes pointless when the heat overwhelms everything else. I make jerk chicken using habaneros as there's nowhere around here to get anything hotter.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Did you use all that sauce up I gave you?
nope. working my way through it though.

The McClards is alright. used it on some chicken but I think I'll grill with it tomorrow.. combo it with some Memphis rub

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like to change what we eat and groceries for variety and nutrition. sometimes I make burritos and make them hot but it's fairly mild stuff compared(cleans my nasal passages though,big time). i also make my own dip for chips that includes jalopeno,cayenne and lots of strong,fresh garlic but it's nothing hot for you probably. I drink a concoction of many nutrient based ingredients every day that includes cayenne and turmeric among other ingredients but,again,nothing as hot as that.

one thing I've noticed,you get used to hot stuff and then you want it hotter. I've also noticed the positive,physical effects(if you know what i mean) wears off if you keep eating really hot stuff every day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I like to make hot salsa in very large batches with several different types of peppers from my gardens. Last batch, I made two very serious mistakes after chopping peppers for an hour. Rubbed my eye and took a leak. You can't hardly wash that shit off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I love spicy flavorful food. that being said my wife is Mexican and is pretty good at balancing heat and flavor. except this one time she made some salsa from some hybrid peppers a coworker gave me . it was like battery acid lol. burned even worse the next day.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
in small amounts the ghost pepper adds just the right amount of heat for me but in minute amounts. a habanero i have no use for because it 99% of the time burns from entrance to exit. like frankenstein said "FIRE BAD".

johnny cash wrote a song about the ghost pepper called ring of fire.:eek:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
he he I rather not dine in pain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts