AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had severe sinus problems my whole life and long flights at high altitude seem to push pressure into my ears twice now to the point of needlelike pain in ears worse than any time ive been shot or had kindney stones. am i just screwed or is there anything i can do if i fly again? its not like they can land the plane so i just sit there like ive got my head in a vice and implode. my case in particular is a rare problem with milk allergies and milk and whey products that find their way into me from random hamburger buns etc but i have neon green and neon yellow nasal discharge followed by migraine and extreme high fever then dizziness and 2 to 3 day coma once i reach my limit when im not flying and just being trying to stay alive on the ground. its not lactose intolerance, it stays in my sinuses what little traces of milk i get so its pretty different than you guys with a severe cold but i had to ask. what would you guys do if ya gotta fly in the coming months? i fly a lot but only 2 times this has really really bothered me. once 19 years ago on way to costa rica and second time on a random one of many trips to phoenix. this has certainly happened to someone else i hope. if not and you know how to relieve sinus pressure prior to flight or have any advice whatsoever it may mean the difference in my hearing a great deal so please tell me.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
See a Doctor. Asking medical advice on a gun forum is like asking your Doctor a gun question. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Yeah, if it hurts worse than getting shot I'd see a doctor ASAP even if you arent flying for awhile. Sounds like the flying is bringing out a major underline issue. Best of luck

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I had sinus congestion one time while recovering from a cold/flu. I had to get on a flight for a funeral. That was no joke some of the worst pain and the hardest 5hrs of my life. I thought my head was going to explode, no joke. I almost thought we were going to have to land to get me off the plane. I took ibuprofen and benadril with zero effect. I finally found allegra. About 1/2 hour after taking the allegra the pain had gone from a 10 to a 4. It saved me big time. I mean big time. I would have paid any amount to get rid of that pain. I would suggest you see a doctor and try that to clear you up prior to a flight. If you take a long flight and have this issue, I could see it causing some serious damage.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Also, dont bank on that working, because I am no doctor and all of our bodies might react different. I would just do whatever you can to reduce the congestion in your sinuses. also note, I dont have any sinus issues and they are always clear(other than being sick). I routinely drink a metric shit ton of water every day, like 64oz+. I could see that helping. I would just do everything you can prior to and during the flight to keep them clear. Im sure there are some miracle drugs that can clear them up. Maybe even antibiotics prior to your trip?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had a full sinus block during high altitude training once and the doctor present made me squirt a whole bottle of afrin into my nose. I have a messed up pain tolerance but that was definitely about a 10/10 level of pain. I'd see a doctor to get checked out.

Also, learn how to do a valsalva and chew gum during ascents. Don't fly sick. Definitely see a doctor though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
First off, I AM NOT A DOCTOR. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

Go see an Otolaryngologyst (sp?/Ear, nose, throat doctor). I had similar problems. Turns out I had a chronic sinus infection for years and got so used to the condition that I didn't even realize I had a problem. After some time I would have serious issues with flying. I had insane issues after snorkeling with several descents down to about 20', like shooting large quantities of pussy (as in pus, not vagina) snot out of my nose for a week. Turns out I had some anatomical issues that had developed partially from the infection, most notably a very deviated septum (that part not infection related, except maybe it was a partial cause), closed openings to my Maxillary Sinuses, a sinus cavity loaded with polyps, as well as Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Not much can be done about the last one, except medication, but the others can be rectified with a fairly simple surgery with a two day partial and two week full recovery. I feel much better now. In the meantime, you could try to de-congest before flying. When my problems were bad, I took 120mg of pseudoephedrine about 1 hour before flying, and a couple shots of Afrin right before takeoff. Do not overuse Afrin-it is bad stuff, but can be very effective if used sparingly in the right situations. After surgery I no longer need that stuff very often. Allergies can also be a big part of the problem. Treat those and avoid excessive amounts of sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, etc., as those can increase snot production and inflammation. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. It is not normal to have these issues, and you will likely be able to do something about it with diet changes, meds, and/or surgery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts