AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advice on traveling alone in this strange land with money will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I dont know from personal experince or anything but I have herd alot of awesome sea stories about that place! I have a few Phillipino friends and there are certain areas you really want to stay out of though, like muslim extremist terrorist type shit lol. The normal rules will apply about carrying large amounts of cash in a second/third world country would certainly apply.

I guess its a very diverse island with blacks/spanish/"natives"/etc depending on what region you go to. I want to buy some property there one day lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
any advice on traveling alone in this strange land with money will be greatly appreciated.
Pack plenty of condoms. I have no experience outside of the 3 days I spent in Manila back in the early 1990's. Like anything anywhere, do not expect to find your future wife in a bar or strip joint there and expect it to be a lasting relationship.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's an inexpensive, beautiful and really fun place but it's easy to get into a bad situation quickly before you even know it there. Traveling alone can be very risky.

PM me and I will try to enlighten you some.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Philippine women don't age well. Hard workers though.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Philippine women don't age well. Hard workers though.
What he said is SOOOOOOO true.. I used to work with this absolutely BEAUTIFUL filipino woman and lost contact with her for about 6 years..I ran into her again and had no idea who she was...looked like she aged 15 years and gained 25 pounds....I'd stay home and buy more guns with your traveling hooker money :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have to agree with the above statements, for some reason every navy base I have ever been to has older phillipino women working at the commissary and exchanges and stottman hit the nail on the head! They are little firecrackers though, and do great uniform work lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use to live in the Phillippines, left there in 2010, so let me give you a little advice. The country is extremely poor and corrupt, but it's all very obvious and not well hidden like corruption here in USA. The people are very nice and have a fondness for Americans, every town has a Gen Macarthur street. Remember, you are an American and have money, at least more compared to them, lots people who will try to seperate you from your money. Yes, you can bang a bunch of hookers there but it's just as easy to meet a women there who actual has a job and career and doesn't get paid for sex. I traveled all over the country and never felt threatened or worried about my safety, even as far south as Davao or General Santos City. There is a lot to do there, check out Boracay, Corregidor, Makiti, etc. If you have any specific questions PM me. I generally found military guys who married "bring backs" were usually border lined retarded, ugly, or both and the women were getting the better end of the deal by getting green cards, and a lot of these women these guys were marrying were most likely hookers to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
.................. I generally found military guys who married "bring backs" were usually border lined retarded, ugly, or both and the women were getting the better end of the deal by getting green cards, and a lot of these women these guys were marrying were most likely hookers to begin with.
That sums it up well. I remember one time of a new guy to the unit bringing his new Korean wife to the company Christmas party and half the guys had already fucked her when they were in stationed in Korea.

You could also mark your calendar to the day of exactly two years after they got married. That is when these bring back wives green card turns into permanent resident alien status and they then filed for divorce. Nothing like getting the call from some poor SOB crying about how his wife just left him and their mix race baby and he cannot come into work for the duty day.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks so much for all the advice. im meeting a buddy and his filepeno wife of 17 years for dinner to discuss my safe travel but any more help is greatly appreciated. girls worth talking to seem very religious catholic so far and are much more religious than any i met here. im thinking ill try to blend in like a hippy punk rock clothes type thing or something and not wear too much expensive mall clothes and sneakers i just bought and stay at tourist motels and beaches when out walking by day. visiting the miraculous mama mary holy site and Cebu at very least so far. my girl speaks 3 languages and tourist call center phone operator by day so i get to pick when i go and meet her and she takes care of the rest but she is very young and busy in school and im in a foreign land most the day on some days maybe alone wondering. probably get passport not visa and travelers checks and blend in and be myself having fun i hope. she is willing to drop college and relocate so i might need advice on applying for fiancée status sounds like to smuggle her back.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Mrs. Pogi is from Baugio and is as solid as a rock. I met her here in the States so had absolutely no problems with paper marriages or whatnot. When I went back in 2005 to Baugio I felt very safe and had no problems, Manila was another story though although I didn't spend much time there. Carried the bulk of my money in my shoe and locked up everything in the hotel room safe. Someday I'll head to Cebu, Lehti, and Palawan.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I lived in the Philippines for two years (early 1999 to early 2001.) It's a beautiful country with very welcoming people. Even a poor American is well to do there, or at least that's the perception. My advice would be to try not to look like you're packing a bunch of cash (even dressing down a bit if you can). Try to look like a surfer, not a businessman, unless you are going to an actual business meeting.)

I lived in Central Luzon the whole time, so I never ran into any radical muslim types, but I did run into some NPA. I probably was not as careful about my safety as I should have been.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Wife is Filipina, but I've only been there once. Most natives there speak some level of English, it's taught in primary school and excusively in college (due to years of occupation). So it'll be fairy easy to get aroud as a "Joe" and don't be offended if people call you one. As in, GI Joe.

Fascinating culture, a real melting pot of Chinese, Spanish, American, and some residual Island blood. Filipinos are very welcoming, I've never felt more at home in a foreign country. However it's still a third-world country, expect lots of bums in congested places like Manila and don't be stupid about going out alone to certain spots. The "real" Philippines is out in the provinces.

It's also fairly corrupt and can be a dangerous place, but as others have noted it's all "honest" corruption where a simple bribe can make a big difference. The worst risk for Westerners is in the far south islands, due to kidnappings for money, but still not a huge threat.

It's a stunningly beautiful and cheap place, if you want a world-class vacation go to Boracay or the Pearl Farms for white-sand beaches and resorts. Like Thailand, it's easy to live like a king there on a US dollar salary.

Guns are highly regulated there but it's a gun culture, maybe even more than the US, they are in love with the 1911 and lots of people own firearms of some sort. May of which are illegal.

Good luck with the trip and love interest! My wife has aged like a good wine, but Pinay ladies don't always age gracefully.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts