AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the repro scope with mount, rear sight mount and adjusting tools to pass the time while I wait for ammo prices to get a bit better (hopefully). After reading on some of the woes others have had trying to zero this thing, I'm considering a laser bore mount and starting there. Any ideas, especially practical experience with this set up are welcome.

Reactions: JeepFan

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know one guy whom repairs original Zf41s. As I recall, there is something to do with the lens in the repros that can be adapted to repair a German scope. However, optically the repros share little else in common with the original, and few parts interchange. The original Zf41 scope tube diameter is slightly larger than the accommodation for it in the repro scope mount as well. In use, recoil will cause the repro Zf41 to fail holding zero and eventually may damage the scope internals to the point adjustments cannot be made. My take would be to shove a EL24 .22 conversion unit in a Zf41-railed K98k, if equipping it with a repro Zf41 optic. If you have any specific questions, LMK and will find out what my friend knows...

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a fun project. Is this going an original?

Anyway here is a good video on the ZF41.
I don't have an original 98K adapted for use by the Germans. Karl over at InRangeTV on YouTube seems to have some pretty good luck with his repro, and this what gave me the idea to try it out. I guess we'll see how it holds up, but Karl has several hundred rounds at least through his, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Reactions: scottyb and JeepFan

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Back when the RCs were cheap I hunted for a former ZF41. Skunked. All I ended up with was normal infantry rifles.

I'm really interested in you posting how your project goes. I've been kicking around the idea of adding a reproduction mount for a ZF41 if it does not permanently alter the piece. On the other side I've been thinking about putting a side rail reproduction mount on one of my RCs. I have a BCD 42 that has had Ivan's shellac removed so I think it may be a good candidate and it's a good shooter.

For ammo back when the Yugo 800 something round crates were cheap I picked up a few. That ammo shoots respectively well for what it is. My best results have been with Hornady #3236 195gr SP and Speer #2285 200gr Spitzer SP over IMR-4895 and using brass that I treated like my match loads in other calibers. These were carefully worked up to the same velocity as the Yugo ammo.

Please post some updates on your project.

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I first need to check to see what is the best rifle to use, then I'll go from there. I do have one that would be an excellent choice, but for some reason the bolt sticks after each shot. That rifle was saved and rebuilt and is all matching save for the stock, which is 100% original and matching with handgurd, and the trigger housing and floorplate which although are original late war stamped and properly coded, have no numbers. The rifle was a bringback that someone tried to sporterize , and was near new.

Anywho, any recommendations on a solid laser bore sight?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I do have one that would be an excellent choice, but for some reason the bolt sticks after each shot. That rifle was saved and rebuilt..."
JM: My first thought on this would be headspace tolerances. Next might be to try a few different 7.92 x 57 cartridges (brass and lacquered steel cases) to see if the equation changes. Might also perform a close inspection of the chamber & neck for cleanliness or crud/erosion/pitting as well...

·
Registered
978 Posts
On the other side I've been thinking about putting a side rail reproduction mount on one of my RCs. I have a BCD 42 that has had Ivan's shellac removed so I think it may be a good candidate and it's a good shooter.
Back in the early '90s I did this with a phosphate "bcd 4" I found in a local shop for $300.00. Someone wiped cold blue over the original finish (which I was able to remove gingerly). The stock was litely sanded and stamped trigger guard assembly kind of junky. Bolt matched. It would be sacrilege to do this today, but it was no great loss at the time. I eventually rectified the issues and upgraded things to the point it is a darn fine faux LSR, which I probably have about $1,500 into now...and it shoots like it looks, too!

Found a 2009 post on GB.C w/photos of my LSR, (back when everyone was hosting on PhotoBucket, if anyone even remembers PB now!), but all were scrubbed when I terminated the account. However, forgot there were some (2019) on this Forum, too... (post #s 9 & 10):

another K98 enters the fold

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully I can this started soon, but I'm getting buried in overtime right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts