AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have these in the states? This is one piece of kit I would LOVE to own one of these days. Both fire a 14.5x114mm round.

PTRD

PTRS

· Registered
2,457 Posts
SergeK said:
Stottman said:
They would be considered a desctructive device (NFA item) in the States.
Ah, interesting. Any chance you can point me to the statute or the paragraph in the NFA?
18 USC 921(4)(B):

(4) The term “destructive device” means

(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter;

Referenced from here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/718/u ... -000-.html

12.7mm == .5 inches exactly

It would be cool to have one made up in something like .30-06 or some other common "large action" round.

Scott

· Registered
1,942 Posts
Isn't the SKS based off that rifle?

Any caliber larger then .50 is a DD (destructive device) and subject to NFA registration and regulation.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5845.html

(2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Heres the whole section 4 from 18 USC 921:

(4) The term “destructive device” means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

So, the AG can exempt things that are sporting, like hunting rounds, etc.

Where this list of exempt items lives is beyond my google fu tonight...

Scott

· Registered
1,892 Posts
A freind of mine in Germany owns both types. But he cannot find any ammo for it that is legal to shoot there-as 99% of what is made for these weapons is considered war ammunition (AP, API, Tracer etc.) and is not legal to own, transfer or shoot by civilians. I have been trying to find ball ammo for him but with no luck.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KMFDM said:
A freind of mine in Germany owns both types. But he cannot find any ammo for it that is legal to shoot there-as 99% of what is made for these weapons is considered war ammunition (AP, API, Tracer etc.) and is not legal to own, transfer or shoot by civilians. I have been trying to find ball ammo for him but with no luck.

He needs to cast his own.

Btw.

Keine Metleid Fur Die Mehreit.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
SergeK said:
Keine Metleid Fur Die Mehreit.
that's for sure......

When I was in Germany at the Seelow heights Battlefield Museum last time they had quite a few dug battlefield relics. Among them were both a PTRS and a PTRD in amazing condition that had been found in a nearby swamp. I would love to own one of those......

andy

· Registered
3,098 Posts
sladest said:
I not a lawyer, but if it says: (B) any type of weapon .......... with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter;

SINCE IT IS EXACTLY .5" AND NOT MORE..., gotta be legal... :confused:
yeah, but 12.7 is 50 bmg. The PTRS and PTRD are both 14.5 mm rounds...

· Registered
1,871 Posts
SergeK said:
Well what about a 700 Nitro Express? Thay are 17.8mm rounds, or 7/10ths of an inch.
exemted, its main purpos is for hunting elephants and it was put on the "good gun" list. theres a company in texas that them otherwise you have to go through holland&holland and get one tailored to you. but thats mega bucks

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stackscustominc said:
SergeK said:
Well what about a 700 Nitro Express? Thay are 17.8mm rounds, or 7/10ths of an inch.
exemted, its main purpos is for hunting elephants and it was put on the "good gun" list. theres a company in texas that them otherwise you have to go through holland&holland and get one tailored to you. but thats mega bucks

I shot one years ago in South Florida. Offered the guy a few bucks for the ammo but he refused. Man, that thing HURT. I am a big dude and it knocked me back in my chair.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
sladest said:
I not a lawyer, but if it says: (B) any type of weapon .......... with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter;

SINCE IT IS EXACTLY .5" AND NOT MORE..., gotta be legal... :confused:
They way they measure it is they drop a slug exactly .50 inches in diameter down the barrel. If it goes down, then it's a DD. Since most barrels have rifling, the land diameter is smaller than the groove diameter. A .50 BMG weapon generally has a bore diameter (groove diameter) smaller than .50 inches.

Any PTR weapons would have to have made it into the US prior to the 1968 GCA, which banned the importation of NFA items for civilian use.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
A guy that used to come to our MG shoots in Vermont had one of each. Used to drive a Pinzgauer everywhere too.

I can't for the life of me remember his name but I believe he passed away fairly recently.

I was wondering a few weeks ago where those rifles had gone.

In any case....to answer the OP's question, yes, there is at least one of each stateside.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.