AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice Romanian 1963 kit. However, it was rebuilt at one time, and has a normal finish...

Does anyone have any good pics of the originals?

Trying to figure out if they are blued, and what the selector marks would be....

Stock set, I have a decent grip.. Will fill in the rest with modern Romanian hardwood..

Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Rob: Here is my '64. It is original finish except for the receiver (and front trunnion). What little is left is black looking, but it does look like a dip blue (slight blue tint is from the open shade photo). Funiture was original with the kit except the lower forearm which was a laminated pistol grip type, age and condition were close to that of the rifle.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. By dip blued I mean it was blued with no polishing either before or after the blueing. The NDS receiver was wire wheeled, then cold blued, and finally worked on with a very well used abrasive pad and oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
My 1963...cold blue rec.,german lower handguard.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
cmutka - I have a 1965 kit that looks just like that. Just started it night before last. What did you use on the wood? It looks like it was hand rubbed by a thousand hands. So dark and oily. Looks incredible. Like it has been being used constantly since 1966. Also what front lower did you use?

I like that german lower on the last one too. Such a fat bulge. (I sound like a pornstar! Jeez!) Nice looking gun though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
The stock, pistol grip, and upper are as they came in the kit except for wiping off the oil and dirt. The lower is from an SAR1 (since the kit came with a pistol grip lower), stripped the finish, stained it with multiple coats of Old English scratch cover for dark woods (something I had on the bench and usually use on M1 or other similar stocks), and several coats of gun oil. Got tired of rubbing it, so that is where the process stopped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, a friend and I took out the kit to pack it up..
It has Russian proofs all over the rear trunnion.


I am assuming its allot like an early E.German rifle, and others; Assembed in Romania with Russian parts.

So, my plan is to have the receiver marked with Russian selector markings, just like an early E.German, Maadi, etc.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,437 Posts
Stottman said:
Well, a friend and I took out the kit to pack it up..
It has Russian proofs all over the rear trunnion.


I am assuming its allot like an early E.German rifle, and others; Assembed in Romania with Russian parts.

So, my plan is to have the receiver marked with Russian selector markings, just like an early E.German, Maadi, etc.....

It would still have Romanian selector markings on the actual rifle, wouldn't it? The Romanians made the receiver and assembled it. On a separate note, the same thing you mention with the E.G. AKs also happened with MAADIs... I have a Russian AKM clone MAADI with Russian proofs on half the parts, some of which are serial numbered to the rifle...

I am not near my 1964 kit, but I agree that it looked dip blued. Gives the blue a darker color vs. the shiny blue on Chinese and some Yugo AKs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Is that the original pistol grip? If not, what country is it? I can't say enough about this rifle. I have two similar kits that I am starting on. But my wood does not look like this. Of course I will have to replace the donkey dong. And love the EG lower you put on. But the pistol grip I got is the funky bakelite crap looking ones. But also my overall wood color looks more red than that deep oily brown. I'll have to work with some of that old english on the donkey dong to test and see what i can get out of the other wood. I don't remember my kits having the ribbed top cover either. But mine are 65' and 73'.

Anyway. Your rifle is amazing. When I envisioned doing these kits I had your rifle in my head. It really looks amazing.


cmutka said:
Rob: Here is my '64. It is original finish except for the receiver (and front trunnion). What little is left is black looking, but it does look like a dip blue (slight blue tint is from the open shade photo). Funiture was original with the kit except the lower forearm which was a laminated pistol grip type, age and condition were close to that of the rifle.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I already asked this on the build it forum. But do you think you could use an NDS-1P with a Polish rear trunnion and a Polish underfolder stock on these kits and get it to work? The receivers look the same with the exception of the underfolder holes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,359 Posts
moab said:
I already asked this on the build it forum. But do you think you could use an NDS-1P with a Polish rear trunnion and a Polish underfolder stock on these kits and get it to work? The receivers look the same with the exception of the underfolder holes.
Yes, it will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,760 Posts
Apex has 60's romy kits! Check them out! I think all the Romy stuff is similiar!

T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
That's where I got mine. GREAT place! I've bought thousands of stuff from them. And there non-G kits are aged perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
machinegunt said:
moab said:
That's where I got mine. GREAT place! I've bought thousands of stuff from them. And there non-G kits are aged perfect.
Big +1
(SSSSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Q-gunner2 said:
Stottman said:
Well, a friend and I took out the kit to pack it up..
It has Russian proofs all over the rear trunnion.


I am assuming its allot like an early E.German rifle, and others; Assembed in Romania with Russian parts.

So, my plan is to have the receiver marked with Russian selector markings, just like an early E.German, Maadi, etc.....

It would still have Romanian selector markings on the actual rifle, wouldn't it? The Romanians made the receiver and assembled it. On a separate note, the same thing you mention with the E.G. AKs also happened with MAADIs... I have a Russian AKM clone MAADI with Russian proofs on half the parts, some of which are serial numbered to the rifle...

I am not near my 1964 kit, but I agree that it looked dip blued. Gives the blue a darker color vs. the shiny blue on Chinese and some Yugo AKs.
There are Russian proofs on the right side of the trunnion.

I am going to take a wild guess and say that they are Russian parts assembled in Romania.

Seems to be standard practice.. Some countries kept the both trunnion/arsenal markings; Seen E.German and Bulgarian rifles like that... Others remarked the trunnion; Egypt as an example. But all kept the original selector marks...

Going to assume the Romanian rifles are the same.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top